BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 650 640D

Engine malfunction in first week!!

Hey guys - I come with sad news that my new one-week-old 2015 X5 Diesel has had to go back to the dealership already (Calgary BMW) as there has been an engine malfunction (the diagnostics tell them that the engine is misfiring). Pretty disappointed and upset. Dealership needs the car for a few days, so for my $92,000, I'm in a base 320. Same thing happened to me 4 years ago with my new 2011 X5 (faulty battery that time). Took the day off work today to take it in (dealership is a 4-hour round trip drive. Will have to do the same to pick it up when it gets fixed. Does this seem fair? Not happy with those Spartanburg fellas right now. And furthermore, is it right that I should be in a $30k vehicle for a few days when I just handed over $92k cash for a top of the line car? Seems I am paying for BMW's errors, and powerless to do anything about it. Why do I keep buying BMWs? So angry right now. Just remember - not every X5 owner goes away with a smile on their face. :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Why you keep buying BMW? Because it's the ultimate driving machine.

Sorry to hear about this. You may consider doing a lemon if Canada has such law.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

CalgaryAndUK , try to get your dealership to reimburse you for those inconvenience.
I hope they can understand and give you some solution to keep you happy.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Ask them to deliver your X5 back to your house.

I hate to hear about issues like this. I am taking delivery in Spartanburg next week. My first BMW in 20 years. I have zero tolerance for poor reliability and if it proves to be issue prone it will be my last.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

It's not unheard of for gremlins to surface, even with a premium brand like BMW. My first F02 had a valvetronic issue with the engine that surfaced within a week of ownership so I threw the lemon law at them (and this was before Singapore introduced the law's existence in 2014!) and got a 1-for-1 replacement. Granted it took 6 months for the replacement to come (and I spent 5 of those months puttering about in a loaner F02, which was driven like it was stolen - to paraphrase Fast & Furious), but at least the replacement car came through, and it's been a trouble-free 4 years since.

I reckon in countries (like the EU, USA &/or Canada) with their robust and stronger consumer protection laws, @CalgaryAndUK would be in a far better position than I was - good luck with the issue!
Appreciate 2