European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Interview: Development of the new BMW M3 and M4. (Part 1)

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Interview: Development of the new BMW M3 and M4. (Part 1)
COMMENTS

Interview: Development of the new BMW M3 and M4. (Part 1).
A look behind the scenes.
"How do you create an icon?" Part 1: A question of character.

Via M-Power.com

The BMW M3 Sedan, BMW M4 Coupé and BMW M4 Convertible are the latest additions in a long success story. We wanted to know how they came about. So we asked two central members of the development team, product manager Christoph Smieskol and project manager Michael Wimbeck, to tell us more. Over the course of our interview, they gave us first-hand information about the latest high-performance M cars and how they have made their way onto our roads.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 10209
Size:  164.4 KB

Mr Smieskol, how did the development of the BMW M3 and BMW M4 begin?

Christoph Smieskol: We began by asking ourselves what we needed to do with the BMW M3 icon to ensure that it remained the benchmark in its fifth generation. What would we have to do to guarantee that this will indeed by the case?

Then we compiled a vehicle profile, put together from the point of view of the customer, in which we defined the market requirements. We based this process on our experience of the previous generation and its characteristics as well as the findings of customer surveys and market and competition forecasts.

From this data we were able to define the product requirements that satisfy both the requirements of an icon and the M philosophy.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 8464
Size:  315.7 KB
Christoph Smieskol (left) and Michael Wimbeck.

So how would you describe the desired character of the new BMW M3 and M4?

Michael Wimbeck: We determined at a very early stage that we wanted it to be something like a lightweight athlete in a bespoke suit. We were not in search of a decathlete or a wrestler, but a lightweight athlete. The bespoke suit in this respect meant that it needed to be socially acceptable. So what we wanted was the best solution for a high-performance vehicle in this segment that also took into consideration social and environmental factors.

The BMW M3 and BMW M4 are sold all over the world. How much do customer expectations vary from country to country?

Christoph Smieskol: Fortunately, the BMW M brand is so strong that the expectations that customers have in the various markets are pretty consistent. They have a clear idea of what the M stands for, which means our market partners' were enthusiastic about the positioning concept of the lightweight athlete in the bespoke suit at a very early stage; they were then happy to follow our lead throughout the entire development phase.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 8502
Size:  496.0 KB
"The expectations that customers have in the various markets are pretty consistent"

In concrete terms, what does the expression 'lightweight athlete' mean in the case of the new BMW M3 and M4?

Christoph Smieskol: The idea was to preserve the previous virtues of the M3 and to expand them: light-footed responsiveness coupled with dynamic and agile behaviour on the road. As a lightweight athlete, the focus was also on weight reduction and reversing the trend towards increasing weight.

Predictability and precision are very important factors that also characterised the previous vehicle. The driving precision of the BMW M3 E9x was already as sharp as a razor, so the question was how to improve on it.

Michael Wimbeck: Indeed, this was not a simple matter. When I took over the project, the BMW M3 E9x was still winning all the comparative tests against competitors, some of which were considerably younger.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 8341
Size:  423.6 KB
The last ever built BMW M3 Coupé (July 2013).

Then we cast our sights over the nearly thirty-year history of the BMW M3. The BMW M3 E46, which was the model two generations before this one, was wilder and somewhat devil-may-care. It is the best-selling BMW M3 so far, so as far as its character is concerned, this car clearly had plenty going for it.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 8366
Size:  281.9 KB
BMW M3 Coupé (E46).

As far as I was concerned, this was the direction we had to move in: to combine the perfection of the BMW M3 E9x with the wildness of the BMW M3 E46.

Christoph Smieskol: We also wanted to sharpen its character some more and place it even more directly within the driving experience while at the same time giving the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 all the usual M virtues.

Mr Smieskol, you were previously also in charge of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé. Was the success of this car instrumental in your decision?

Christoph Smieskol: The BMW 1 Series M Coupé was a conscious attempt to go back to the roots that we first struck with the original BMW M3. The 1 M was only available with a single engine, a single chassis and a single gearbox, making it a highly purist driving experience. It made the car succinct. The customer was able to deal quite consciously with the vehicle substance. You could also call it, if a little exaggeratedly, 'man against machine'.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 8098
Size:  280.2 KB
BMW 1er M Coupé (2011).

With the BMW M3, the claim is quite a different one. Its power is higher and we have to offer the customer a bigger breadth of character traits. The BMW M3 und M4 are very fast on the racetrack but they are also suitable for driving long distances, quite laid-back. Our credo here is to be at one with the machine. Everyday usability was always one of the essential characteristics of the BMW M3 and also represents an important skill of the new BMW M3 and M4.

Mr Wimbeck, I know that you regularly follow a few blogs and also check out the occasional forum.

Michael Wimbeck: I have been following the online activities with great interest for several years, because it gives you a good picture of what fans and customers want and what it is that engages their enthusiasm. You can see what questions are being asked and what characteristics people expect from an M automobile. I am always pleased to note the enthusiasm and expertise with which customers and bloggers express themselves.

More than once in recent years, newly launched sports displayed an overall high degree of perfection. Many people noticed it but they appeared slightly bored by it all.

Michael Wimbeck: In response to this question, I can tell you about my own personal experience: I was travelling with Florian Staiger (LINK) from Garching to the M engine development department in Munich, to discuss the subject of the motor's characteristic curve. This took place in January and we were travelling in my BMW M3 E92. As always, I had pressed the M Button and was driving from Garching to the Preussenstrasse with all the settings, including SPORT PLUS, set to the keenest levels, in conditions with over four centimetres of snow.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 8097
Size:  237.9 KB
Florian Staiger (left) abd DTM race driver Timo Glock.

After a while, I said to Florian: 'despite the continuous snow cover, I can drive fully relaxed in the SPORT PLUS setting. And despite the fact that the BMW M3 doesn't actually have to be able to under such conditions. That is what the EFFICIENT and SPORT modes are for. Why don't we increase the separation between the driving modes, whether it be via the accelerator or the suspension/damping, even if the car ends up occasionally being more difficult to drive, for example in SPORT PLUS, in conditions that are actually inappropriate for the mode? After all, there are three modes that the customer is able to choose from to suit the prevailing road conditions.'

Christoph Smieskol: We wanted to turn the wheel back a little and give the car a few of its rough edges back, to turn its performance into something with more experience value. This is reflected in the fact that we still offer manual gear changing, because the customers still want to deal more consciously with the car's operation, both with and without throttle blipping. We also wanted to enhance the response of the brakes, steering and chassis and make the vehicle and its reactions even more directly experiential. I can really feel what I am driving.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 8130
Size:  275.6 KB

Was everyone immediately thrilled?

Michael Wimbeck: In a company like BMW AG, of whom BMW M GmbH is a subsidiary, it is not so easy to get a vehicle with such a unique position into serial production. We had to convince many people that a vehicle like this is even allowed to have such an independent character, because customers really expect this character.

There were several long discussions, in which I often heard, 'Mr Wimbeck, we need to satisfy the most critical customers,' to which I replied that from my point of view, it did not apply so absolutely to an M automobile. Because if we always wanted to satisfy the most critical customers, there would be times when we would be disadvantaging 99% of the other customers.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 9711
Size:  156.0 KB
Turbocharger of the M TwinPower Turbo inline six engine of the new BMW M3 and M4.

Once example concerns the sound when the waste gate is opened (LINK), whistling sounds could be heard. We said that this was characteristic and that it wouldn't worry anyone if they heard that this was in fact a turbo engine whenever they took their foot off the pedal. In an M car, such behaviour is not only admissible, it is actually desirable.

Christoph Smieskol: The subject of sound is a very sensitive one in M automobiles. There are many operational noises that we regard as part of the car's natural character. Whether these are intake noises, the sound of the exhaust valves opening, or gearbox sounds, they indicate to the driver what is going on in the car at any given moment. In this respect, it is not desirable to smoothen out every single irregularity.

However, it takes a lot of effort to convince people. As Michael already said, people often think quite differently at BMW AG – simply because of the different demands that customers place on their vehicles. A BMW 320d might want to drive thirty or forty thousand kilometres a year with as little bother as possible. But our customers want to experience something every day. They are fascinated with the act of driving – so you can see that the demands placed on a car made by BMW AG are often completely different from those of a high-performance M automobile.

Michael Wimbeck: It was very important that everybody pulled in the same direction and that they all supported us when it came to convincing people. This is what ultimately allowed us to turn the character screw a little further.

And I believe that this was also one of the keys to our success: we set the right course at an early stage, and then everybody pursued that course with us.

All in all, the BMW M3 Sedan and the BMW M4 Coupé are both cars that attain the same levels as far as driving dynamics are concerned. For example, the BMW M3 Sedan now also has a CFRP roof. How did this come about?

Christoph Smieskol: When we began this project, we conducted a very precise analysis of our customers' expectations: which ones drive a BMW M3 Sedan, which ones drive a Coupé, etc. This revealed, somewhat surprisingly, that Sedan und Coupé customers had almost identical expectations and requirements of their cars. It was certainly not the case the Sedan was seen as the more elegant and 'reserved' option. Both types can be seen just as frequently on the racetrack, for instance. The decision in favour of a four-door Sedan is made on the basis of family circumstances or personal preferences. This was a signal to us to create a pair of 'non-identical twins'. We also made sure right from the start that not only the BMW M4 Coupé but also the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Convertible are each built with whatever lightweight components are possible.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 8537
Size:  123.3 KB
The "non-identical twins".

Appreciate 2
      02-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

M-Power.com - How do you create an icon? A look behind the scenes

Haven't seen this article posted here.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Thanks for sharing!
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Still reading. A lot of good insight behind the choices they made.

So far I find this chart to be pretty telling:

Seems to me that a large part of the motivation to go to the turbo 6 was a return to emissions levels of the original M3. Seems like more than a coincidence based on this chart.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great background. These guys seem like car guys somewhat constrained by the corporate culture i.e. environmentally friendly turbo engine instead of a V-8 naturally aspirated. Interesting how they talk about the sounds of the car but didn't really touch on the use of active sound which is perhaps another corporate mandate aimed at the non-enthusiast general population. Thanks for sharing.

Ps. These guys deserve a round of applause for creating an exceptional automobile.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Very interesting, look forward to any other follow up segments.
      02-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Still reading. A lot of good insight behind the choices they made.

So far I find this chart to be pretty telling:

Seems to me that a large part of the motivation to go to the turbo 6 was a return to emissions levels of the original M3. Seems like more than a coincidence based on this chart.
Yes and no really, here in Europe there are bigger tax implications of the car emitting over 200g Co2 so the car has been tweaked for the DCT to emit less. I think coincidence that its near the first.

Chart has been out from the start I think but mighty impressive to see the progress.
      02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Great read. Thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Good conversation. Thanks for sharing.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F10 535ixDrive, E39 M5

I enjoyed this. Wish we had more pieces like this...
'94 325ix - Parted *** '92 318i vert - sold
'94 325i - Rear End Total ***** '01 330ci - traded
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Outstanding read - thanks Jason

This is exactly what many of us have been saying for awhile: with this car, BMW very deliberately brought back some recklessness and wildness and difficulty that was (perhaps) missing from the last generation. Less about perfection, more about rawness.

02-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Agreed, quality post! Glad to know that the forums give them good feedback too!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Love my E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
amgrsgt
Rep
Drives: car

Great post....although this quote is somewhat telling.

BMW AG, should really let BMW M have more free reign when it comes to designing M cars.
I understand BMW has to walk a fine line between avg consumer and hard core enthusiast, and the M cars lean slightly towards enthusiast, as it should

But Porsche does a much better job at letting their GT division lean heavily towards the enthusiast crowed

Michael Wimbeck: In a company like BMW AG, of whom BMW M GmbH is a subsidiary, it is not so easy to get a vehicle with such a unique position into serial production. We had to convince many people that a vehicle like this is even allowed to have such an independent character, because customers really expect this character.

There were several long discussions, in which I often heard, 'Mr Wimbeck, we need to satisfy the most critical customers,' to which I replied that from my point of view, it did not apply so absolutely to an M automobile. Because if we always wanted to satisfy the most critical customers, there would be times when we would be disadvantaging 99% of the other customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

All I have to say is......

TOLD YOU SO!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/new...ply&p=17108044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Consider the circumstance under which the F8X was conceived. BMW had a successful M3 program with a cracking V8 that had some criticisms lobbed at it. Range / MPG, weight, etc. Of course, it had plenty of lauding praise as well. But also look at BMW in the larger light. Many were criticizing BMW for losing the plot with their cars. F10 got panned as being a boat. F30 also got criticized in light of the E90 by Car and Driver, and others. Too soft. Too big. Loses to the Lexus IS350 in a comparison of all things! The M5 and M6 get criticized for too much weight, numb isolation, a bit of turbo lag and a flatulent exhaust. The M3 is even more identified with BMW’s “Ultimate Driving Machine” tag. .
Quote:

I got thinking, too, about that oft-repeated line attributed to one of the engineers. Something along the lines of “this is not a car for the amateur”. And then I think about solidly mounted rear differentials, carbon fiber engine bay braces with 40,000 nm / degree chassis rigidity. And I think about relatively small rear tires (seriously, I had 275’s on the rear of my 300 HP F10 535 Sport Package) and an engine tuned for an explosive torque delivery. And all of that leads me to one conclusion:

BMW is smiling when they read the reviews. They knew exactly what they were doing, and they nailed it: they built exactly the car that they wanted to. They wanted a raw, squirrelly, slightly manic car. One that did that but still maintained the true dual purpose capability that the M3 has always been known for. One that would demand a certain amount of respect. One that threw up a huge middle finger at all the reviewers that said that BMW was losing the plot, had grown soft, etc. I think that was their mission brief, and they nailed it.

Think for a second. There are a ton of Big Brained people working at BMW. Do you think that they would spend all this time contemplating, designing, building, testing, revising, testing some more, etc. and have a car that came out half baked? That had a bunch of compromises that they didn’t want? That didn’t handle like they wanted it to? They have an active differential and an all aluminum (some forged) rear suspension, think they can’t get as much traction as they want? No, these guys know what they’re doing. They wanted raw. They wanted you to think back to the earlier cars. The E30 and the E46, especially. The E46 CSL was their benchmark and I believe they nailed it. .
Quote:

Having driven the F8X several times, each time I slot behind the wheel, “raw” is what comes to mind. BMW hit their mark.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-09-2015 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrsgt View Post

But Porsche does a much better job at letting their GT division lean heavily towards the enthusiast crowed
That's because Porsche is a sports car company that happens to build two (sporty) SUV's and a sedan. BMW has one "sports" car, the Z4, and builds a bunch of sedans, and 5 "SAV"'s. Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #17
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Great read! It's always great to hear what goes into these machines from the point of view of the real people who work on them, instead of only hearing from PR and marketing.
      02-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #18
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Nice read. M did a great job with what they had to work with in terms of technologies and budget. I still pine for the mechanical perfection of the E9X every time I see one. It's not a faster or better car but man it's special. Glad I had the chance to own it in it's era of reign. Now I'm ok with the F80.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Christoph Smieskol: We began by asking ourselves what we needed to do with the BMW M3 icon to ensure that it remained the benchmark in its fifth generation. What would we have to do to guarantee that this will indeed by the case?
Given some of the comparo losses so far, and the upcoming M2, C63 and Cayman GT4, it will be interesting to see if they succeeded and the F8x remains the benchmark.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-10-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Jason - thanks for the fascinating post. Always interested in hearing about the stories behind the machines.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtecnic
I enjoyed this. Wish we had more pieces like this...
+1

"Lightweight athlete in a bespoke suit."

These guys are right on with that concept, love it! I think these guys get it.

I hope the 3 Series and the M3/M4 does not increase in size, I personally think this should be the max.

I would like to see a more aggressive exterior styling, especially wider wheel arches like the GT3 M race cars. Black Rims. And a fully functioning CFRP Roof Rail Mounting Brackets that can attach a Thule Roof Rack - this needs to be remedied! Everyday drivability which will include M xDrive in some capacity. Also for the M Division to design and engineer an X4M soon. And perhaps get the i Team involved next time around. O' yeah, and continue with the individual paint & color options.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Given some of the comparo losses so far, and the upcoming M2, C63 and Cayman GT4, it will be interesting to see if they succeeded and the F8x remains the benchmark.
If you compare it to the GT4, it and just about anything else will be an epic failure . 2900 lb mid engined sports car , GT3 suspension , 7.6 power to weight with an NA motor , and free reign from the GT division to make the driving experience better than its big brother the GT3 . A modded family sedan , whether made by AMG or BMW doesn't stand a chance against a pure bred sports car in driving experience . The GT4 looks to be the best car and value Porsche or anyone else makes .
Appreciate 0