BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

X5 35d in cold weather

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting an X5 35d for my wife to replace her aging Honda CRV. I love my X3 35i but for the X5 I really like the idea of the 35d motor.

In Canada, it gets cold. I am wondering if the 35d heats up quickly (interior cabin) as I know my wife will be pissed if we get this thing and she has to wait for ever for it to start warming the cabin.

I'm not that worried about cold starting performance as I have heard/seen that this is basically a non-issue for modern diesels and ours is parked in the garage over night anyway.

Any input would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Not to scare you but do a search and you will find people do have issues with a cold start on the Diesel. Regarding warming up the car ( cabin I am assuming ) would probably be the same regardless of engine models.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Not to scare you but do a search and you will find people do have issues with a cold start on the Diesel. Regarding warming up the car ( cabin I am assuming ) would probably be the same regardless of engine models.
If you do back and read the thread you are referring to you will see that if you warm the glow plugs when it is super cold (press start without a foot on the brake until the instrument panel says ok) this is a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
If you do back and read the thread you are referring to you will see that if you warm the glow plugs when it is super cold (press start without a foot on the brake until the instrument panel says ok) this is a non-issue.
Agreed... I searched before I asked my question and thought this was basically a non-issue.

Still curious about owner experiences with cabin heating times, etc. in cold weather though!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting an X5 35d for my wife to replace her aging Honda CRV. I love my X3 35i but for the X5 I really like the idea of the 35d motor.

In Canada, it gets cold. I am wondering if the 35d heats up quickly (interior cabin) as I know my wife will be pissed if we get this thing and she has to wait for ever for it to start warming the cabin.

I'm not that worried about cold starting performance as I have heard/seen that this is basically a non-issue for modern diesels and ours is parked in the garage over night anyway.

Any input would be appreciated!
we certainly do not get as cold in New Jersey as your area, but on a ZERO degree day my 35d starts right up, no issue. Within a few minutes the cabin is warm. Heated steering wheel and seats helps too. Overall I am very pleased with the diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
we certainly do not get as cold in New Jersey as your area, but on a ZERO degree day my 35d starts right up, no issue. Within a few minutes the cabin is warm. Heated steering wheel and seats helps too. Overall I am very pleased with the diesel.
Thanks for the reply! Zero Fahrenheit is still pretty cold! Do you have the cold weather package on yours? I assume yes since you have heated seats and steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Stano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5c

We had a deep freeze for a few weeks where temps were getting down to -10 to -15 during the night not including windchill
I usually have the X5 in the garage but decided to park my wife's car in it instead because it was so cold out.
Started my 35D One morning at -15f and it fired up instantly. I knew it would start but I honestly expected some hesitation and it to be a little rough idling when it did fire up but it turned on as if it wasn't even cold out and very smooth.
I was amazed. I love this Diesel
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
We had a deep freeze for a few weeks where temps were getting down to -10 to -15 during the night not including windchill
I usually have the X5 in the garage but decided to park my wife's car in it instead because it was so cold out.
Started my 35D One morning at -15f and it fired up instantly. I knew it would start but I honestly expected some hesitation and it to be a little rough idling when it did fire up but it turned on as if it wasn't even cold out and very smooth.
I was amazed. I love this Diesel
Nice! How long does it take for the cabin to start warming on days like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Returning from our PCD we encountered temps down to 15 above with no starting issues. With heated seats and steering wheel I was surprised that heat was coming from dash vents in less than a minute. This was done without sitting and warming up the vehicle, just get in , start it, and start moving, at a easy pace. Not good for "full load" driving until the Diesel engine is fully up to operating temp.
      03-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Returning from our PCD we encountered temps down to 15 above with no starting issues. With heated seats and steering wheel I was surprised that heat was coming from dash vents in less than a minute. This was done without sitting and warming up the vehicle, just get in , start it, and start moving, at a easy pace. Not good for "full load" driving until the Diesel engine is fully up to operating temp.
Ok, that is good to know. I'm guessing the car must have the auxiliary cabin heater that I've heard of before on European diesels which uses and electric element to heat the cabin air in waiting for the engine to produce enough temperature to provide heat.

Cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

[QUOTE=epiphone3;17531059]Hi all,

Any input would be appreciated![/

epiphone3 I take it you don't have Auxiliary Heating as an option in Canada?
Works a treat!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=Baunton;17532991]
Quote:
Hi all,

Any input would be appreciated![/

epiphone3 I take it you don't have Auxiliary Heating as an option in Canada?
Works a treat!
We don't have the parking heater, if that is what you are talking about. However, I'm pretty sure the diesel models have the electrical heating for the cabin to get warm air quickly since diesel engines take longer to warm up enough to give heat to the cabin on their own. Folks, speak up if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #13
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

First day I picked up my X I took it to NH to ski for the weekend. Both mornings it was 10 below, and overnight temps were lower. I expected to push the start button with no foot on the brake to warm up the glow plugs, but never had too. Started right up.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
GTAbimmerowner
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport

I purchased my '15 X5d in October (I live in Ontario) and had absolutely no issues through the winter....and it was the coldest February in recorded history here. On a number of occasions I took it up to our cottage in the Haliburton Highlands where overnight temp were regularly -20 to -30 C. In the morning I had no problems whatsoever with startup. I found it particularly helpful to use the preheat "glow plugs" for a few min before startup. When it was -25 or worse I'd get a little hesitation if I didn't use the preheat option but at those temps that has to be expected. I found that it warmed up as quickly or better than any other BMW I have owned, and this is my first diesel.

Like you I also keep my vehicle in a garage at night where the temps are a little warmer. Coming from a 2009 328i I find the diesel faster to warmup. The seats and steering wheel warm up remarkably quickly in cold weather. I usually start the vehicle and the go out 3-4 min later and find the seats and steering wheel nice and toasty. I suspect your wife would notice a considerable difference, for the better, between her CRV and a 35d. My wife drives 2011 Murano and the 35d warms up in half the time, if not better. The warmup time for steering wheel and seats is likely 1/3 what it is for the Murano.

I were in your shoes I would t even consider it a factor. No regrets going with diesel. Absolutely love this vehicle. Just wish the 40 and 50d were options here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GTAbimmerowner; 03-09-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Zero Fahrenheit is still pretty cold! Do you have the cold weather package on yours? I assume yes since you have heated seats and steering wheel.
Yes - I have the cold weather package. Worth every penny! When I return to the parking lot at end of work day that steering wheel is an ice sickle. I LOVE the heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAbimmerowner View Post
I purchased my '15 X5d in October (I live in Ontario) and had absolutely no issues through the winter....and it was the coldest February in recorded history here. On a number of occasions I took it up to our cottage in the Haliburton Highlands where overnight temp were regularly -20 to -30 C. In the morning I had no problems whatsoever with startup. I found it particularly helpful to use the preheat "glow plugs" for a few min before startup. When it was -25 or worse I'd get a little hesitation if I didn't use the preheat option but at those temps that has to be expected. I found that it warmed up as quickly or better than any other BMW I have owned, and this is my first diesel.

Like you I also keep my vehicle in a garage at night where the temps are a little warmer. Coming from a 2009 328i I find the diesel faster to warmup. The seats and steering wheel warm up remarkably quickly in cold weather. I usually start the vehicle and the go out 3-4 min later and find the seats and steering wheel nice and toasty. I suspect your wife would notice a considerable difference, for the better, between her CRV and a 35d. My wife drives 2011 Murano and the 35d warms up in half the time, if not better. The warmup time for steering wheel and seats is likely 1/3 what it is for the Murano.

I were in your shoes I would t even consider it a factor. No regrets going with diesel. Absolutely love this vehicle. Just wish the 40 and 50d were options here.

Hope this helps.
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I appreciate the response very much! The more I hear, the more I think this is the right one for my wife which means I have a big freakin' spend in my future!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #17
GTAbimmerowner
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I appreciate the response very much! The more I hear, the more I think this is the right one for my wife which means I have a big freakin' spend in my future!
Glad to help out!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #18
suza
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive35d

[QUOTE epiphone3 I take it you don't have Auxiliary Heating as an option in Canada?
Works a treat![/QUOTE]

I haven't tried programming my new X5 diesel to preheat (too many other features to figure out), as it is parked in a garage and the Pacific Northwest has not been experiencing sub-freezing temps but for one or two days this Winter (so far!). Do US builds have this installed? This wasn't a selling point for me, but would be nice, at times

Edit - Question: When using the cabin heater, would it be best to leave the air circulator positioned at M (recirculate) like you would to quickly cool the cabin with AC?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[quote]I haven't tried programming my new X5 diesel to preheat (too many other features to figure out), as it is parked in a garage and the Pacific Northwest has not been experiencing sub-freezing temps but for one or two days this Winter (so far!). Do US builds have this installed? This wasn't a selling point for me, but would be nice, at times

Edit - Question: When using the cabin heater, would it be best to leave the air circulator positioned at M (recirculate) like you would to quickly cool the cabin with AC?[QUOTE]

I myself am curious about the answer to your first question. Regarding the second, I would think that the 'A' setting would be fine and let the computer do its thing?
Appreciate 0