Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Fortune Auto Suspension

I just got a note from Fortune Auto that they will release suspension for the F8x in 6 months. Any of you guys had experience with Fortune Auto in a BMW (especially on a track)? Pros, Cons, Reliability?

Seems like the price is pretty fair. The Fortune Auto 510 set for the E92 M3 is less than $1,800 - 5yr warranty / custom spring rate - Swift / 2-way rebuild-able shocks / includes camber plates. I can't imagine they will raise the price for our platform.

Need your input to determine if this is worth a wait.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/510series.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 04-07-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I just got a note from Fortune Auto that they will release suspension for the F8x in 6 months. Any of you guys had experience with Fortune Auto in a BMW (especially on a track)? Pros, Cons, Reliability?

Seems like the price is pretty fair. The Fortune Auto 510 set for the E92 M3 is less than $1,800 - 5yr warranty / custom spring rate - Swift / 2-way rebuild-able shocks / includes camber plates. I can't imagine they will raise the price for our platform.

Need your input to determine if this is worth a wait.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/510series.htm
looks like BC stuff.. and that was garbage on my m5 even with swift springs...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

you might have better luck in "bimmerforums", i remember seeing a few reviews there.

however, i highly doubt they are crap. fortune auto are one of the very few companies that actually bother to educate their customers with the actual science behind shock tunings, rather than spending the efforts on some bs marketing terms.

read this:
http://www.fortune-auto.com/technology.htm

but you are right, BC is crap. just have a look at the JDM forums and see for yourself.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SSY View Post
looks like BC stuff.. and that was garbage on my m5 even with swift springs...
I've been reading reviews from a lot of forums. From FT86 to STi to EVO to 350z to BMW 1series. They all seem to love Fortune Auto.

I don't think this is as bad as BC. BC rust after a year of use, which I agree is crappy and I would never consider BC for my car. From all the reviews of Fortune Auto from non-M3 drivers, Fortune seems to make good stuff. I'll wait for more responses before I draw any more conclusions. I posted the same question on the E9x M3 forum, since Fortune do make it for their cars. .
      04-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I know it's not what you asked for specifically but I can share my experience with Fortune Auto as I have them on my Evo X. I originally bought the 510's without Swifts. The damper was clearly blown as the car kept bouncing around right after install. I had a very difficult time with customer service trying to get them replaced. They then replaced them with lower rate 500 series coilovers with Swifts. The suspension cycle was normal now with no bouncing around. Their basically a small step up from all of the cheap "pick your color" coilovers. They did bring shock plots to the masses which I appreciate from an education standpoint but that certainly doesn't make them any better. The torrington bearings on the top to prevent popping are exposed to the elements which are a wear item and both of mine have rusted out over the years. Other than that they've held up well visually. The clicks actually do make a noticeable difference in ride feel but the springs don't feel matched to all of the settings. I've had experience in the past with many different types of suspension and I'd say they're above BC and the pick your color coilovers, but below everything else (Ground Control, Bilstein, Ohlins, JRZ, AST, MCS, etc). I'd be happy to answer any other general questions about them if you'd like. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
kern4174462.00
      04-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12285
I know it's not what you asked for specifically but I can share my experience with Fortune Auto as I have them on my Evo X. I originally bought the 510's without Swifts. The damper was clearly blown as the car kept bouncing around right after install. I had a very difficult time with customer service trying to get them replaced. They then replaced them with lower rate 500 series coilovers with Swifts. The suspension cycle was normal now with no bouncing around. Their basically a small step up from all of the cheap "pick your color" coilovers. They did bring shock plots to the masses which I appreciate from an education standpoint but that certainly doesn't make them any better. The torrington bearings on the top to prevent popping are exposed to the elements which are a wear item and both of mine have rusted out over the years. Other than that they've held up well visually. The clicks actually do make a noticeable difference in ride feel but the springs don't feel matched to all of the settings. I've had experience in the past with many different types of suspension and I'd say they're above BC and the pick your color coilovers, but below everything else (Ground Control, Bilstein, Ohlins, JRZ, AST, MCS, etc). I'd be happy to answer any other general questions about them if you'd like. Hope this helps.
Great feedback. Which version were you on? I know they are on version 5 now and had issues with some of earlier versions (rust, design flaw, etc).
      04-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep

That's a good question. I believe it was version 5. I think they've been on the same ones for a while now. I appreciate they're always trying to improve them. They're probably the better product out of BC, Stance etc. I'll look when I get home to see the version. I almost forgot, the brake line bracket didn't work as well. I called and emailed them about all these items. Iffy customer service.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12285 View Post
That's a good question. I believe it was version 5. I think they've been on the same ones for a while now. I appreciate they're always trying to improve them. They're probably the better product out of BC, Stance etc. I'll look when I get home to see the version. I almost forgot, the brake line bracket didn't work as well. I called and emailed them about all these items. Iffy customer service.
Thanks man. I'll keep logging these reviews to make a final decision. I keep hearing how good FA's customer service are, your review seems shocking. You might want to call them up so they can give you a semi-refund or credit towards another set for your future car. A newer company like FA's would do anything to prevent bad press.

The reason why I'm looking for reviewers who had them on BMWs is because BMWs have very nice stock suspension vs other brands. It's easy to make a Mazda/Evo/350z ride better, but the BMW owners are very picky with their suspension.
      04-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I went through my old emails and found out the info. They were 510 series gen 4 with 9k/10k spring rates. They bounced like I was riding on a pogo stick and got some extremely odd initial support from their owner. It eventually was resolved by them sending me a new set but you can count me out on any future sets. I'll pm you the thread for your research.
Appreciate 0