BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Buying long distances?

So most of the better deals I find tend to be long distances from me (NY). My question is, can you hire a company or individual to go inspect the car thoroughly in the state/area that the car is at?
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Ask one of member here I would gladly
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

There are companies that do it. Here is one in the Austin, TX area. $139

http://www.autopi.com

And this one in Portland, OR.

http://pdxinspections.com

West coast of FL.

http://www.autospectorinspections.co...n-florida.html
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Yep, seen several people on here help out guys like you before. So where is your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

I did the long distance thing with no third party company and i dont think i would be doing it again. Reasons why:

1) I hired a highly touted detailer local to the seller to inspect the vehicle for cosmetics and to do a basic test drive to verify it's in proper running condition. He assured me the cosmetic condition of the car is fine. Only concern of his was the headlights need to be buffed. It was the complete opposite. Car was very dirty, interior looks like it was never cleaned properly in the last 2-3 years with caked on and embedded dirt. As a matter of fact, the steering wheel was so bad, i bought a new one. After much cleaning with a steamer and brush on an orbital polisher, seats are passable condition but still not satisfactory to me. He also failed to recognize and disclose that the front bumper was repainted.

2) Seller had a payoff. Payoff needed to be paid in full to receive the title. I offered to bring a certified check. He said that was not good enough because it might take several days to cash due to being out of state. I offered travelers checks. He was still worried about the hassles of cashing a large amount of travelers checks. I brought $35,000 in cash with me from Hawaii to California. Talk about nerve wrecking.

3) Drove the car for a day then dropped vehicle off at shipper. Shipper inspected the vehicle at time of drop-off, everything checked out okay, and i flew back to Honolulu. After i arrived in Hawaii the shipper calls and asks what's in my trunk (goodies from Trader Joes). Can't ship with anything in the vehicle. So i scramble to find a friend with a friend near West Covina, Los Angeles, FedEx next day my valet key to him, give him my Trader Joes goodies, just so they can ship my car.

Major headache! Never again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
RINTAXI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
I did the long distance thing with no third party company and i dont think i would be doing it again. Reasons why:

1) I hired a highly touted detailer local to the seller to inspect the vehicle for cosmetics and to do a basic test drive to verify it's in proper running condition. He assured me the cosmetic condition of the car is fine. Only concern of his was the headlights need to be buffed. It was the complete opposite. Car was very dirty, interior looks like it was never cleaned properly in the last 2-3 years with caked on and embedded dirt. As a matter of fact, the steering wheel was so bad, i bought a new one. After much cleaning with a steamer and brush on an orbital polisher, seats are passable condition but still not satisfactory to me. He also failed to recognize and disclose that the front bumper was repainted.

2) Seller had a payoff. Payoff needed to be paid in full to receive the title. I offered to bring a certified check. He said that was not good enough because it might take several days to cash due to being out of state. I offered travelers checks. He was still worried about the hassles of cashing a large amount of travelers checks. I brought $35,000 in cash with me from Hawaii to California. Talk about nerve wrecking.

3) Drove the car for a day then dropped vehicle off at shipper. Shipper inspected the vehicle at time of drop-off, everything checked out okay, and i flew back to Honolulu. After i arrived in Hawaii the shipper calls and asks what's in my trunk (goodies from Trader Joes). Can't ship with anything in the vehicle. So i scramble to find a friend with a friend near West Covina, Los Angeles, FedEx next day my valet key to him, give him my Trader Joes goodies, just so they can ship my car.

Major headache! Never again.
omg this story is terrible!

6MT FTW
KW Clubsport / Apex ARC-8 / NT-01 / IPE / Sabelt GT-140 / GTS wing / GT4 lip / Challenge harness bar / IND cosmetic package / M performance steering wheel / Hawk DTC-70
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
kstore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

i bought my car from an individual 1200 miles from me. Had him take the car to a dealer for a complete PPI. The dealer charged around 150 I believe. They did very thorough check and then sent me the final report. It seemed like it was even more thorough than the check BMW does before CPO certification.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

The car I'm interested in, is located in Raleigh North Carolina. I would ask a forum member that is near there but I'd be worried with what happened with FNG stated above. I like to put faith in most people, but with such a large investment I would have to be %100 certain with the individuals findings. That being said, I am open to the idea of having a trustworthy member taking a detailed look and report for me.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade+ View Post
The car I'm interested in, is located in Raleigh North Carolina. I would ask a forum member that is near there but I'd be worried with what happened with FNG stated above. I like to put faith in most people, but with such a large investment I would have to be %100 certain with the individuals findings. That being said, I am open to the idea of having a trustworthy member taking a detailed look and report for me.
If a forum member is willing to look at a car, that's great for visual defects but I'd spend the $200 and have a reputable Indy or dealership conduct a complete ppi

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

I have bought two cars sight unseen. On one, I had a BMW dealer PPI and the other used www.aiminspections.com

Both were good experiences and I've found the key is to not be shy about asking a lot of questions or for specific pictures before sending over your money.

Both of these cars were purchased from dealers, not individuals so I felt like there was recourse if things did not work out as expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

I have bought many higher end cars sight unseen without wasting money on a PPI. If you're knowledgeable it's not a hard process
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

I suggest finding a BMW mechanic local to the car and hire him to perform a PPI.

I did for a car I was interested in. The sales guy was willing to get the car to and from the mechanic. Unfortunately, we could not agree on a price.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade+ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
If a forum member is willing to look at a car, that's great for visual defects but I'd spend the $200 and have a reputable Indy or dealership conduct a complete ppi
I'm in NC, but it's a little bit of a haul to Raleigh - Several active forum members in the M4 regional section that are located in/near Raleigh that might could help you out.

I am in the same boat - I have found a Q5 TDi thats about 5 hours from me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
jblaze21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I am in Washington state and recently bought a E90 M3 out of New York. I just had a PPI done at a local dealership there and the info sent to me. All checked out and I couldn't be happier.

Only problem is that it took about 8 days for the car to be delivered and those were agonizing days!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #15
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I am one of the people who is against buying a long distance car. You should know that what the other person would be looking for might not be the same as what you are looking for.

Simple scratches on the car to someone might be nothing but to me it is a big deal. I will never buy a car out of state again. I would pay 1k or 2k more and buy a car local to avoid all the headaches IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze21 View Post
I am in Washington state and recently bought a E90 M3 out of New York. I just had a PPI done at a local dealership there and the info sent to me. All checked out and I couldn't be happier.

Only problem is that it took about 8 days for the car to be delivered and those were agonizing days!
Agreed, buying long distance can be effective for rare, mint-condition cars, but it takes a lot of fun out of the buying process. I would only do it on a very low mileage car that has a top-rated seller with a proven track record of doing remote sales successfully.

When you buy a car locally, you pay your money and you get to drive home with the car (hopefully w/smile on face)... when you buy long distance, you pay your money and then get to agonize over the truck shipping process for a week or two-- not fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

i would recommend a ppi at a reputable shop or dealership

its the best way to cover yourself
Appreciate 0