BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
no6thgear
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

clearing airbag light

Was swapping in my new red seats and didnt unplug battery. Now I have an airbag light on. Anyone know how to clear or do I need to pay the dealership?
      05-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
no6thgear
Private
Rep

Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
mahlerbeatdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by no6thgear View Post
Nobody?
Sometimes codes like that will disappear, despite what people will say, after you've driven so many trips or so many miles... AS LONG AS THE ISSUE IS FIXED. As a safety pre-check, it won't clear on it's own right away.

I had a cylinder misfire from a bad sparkplug and my Service Engine light came on... changed the sparkplugs and car was 100% better, but still had the light. After a few days it went off and never came back. I couldn't clear the code because I didn't have an ODB2 reader yet. My friend had the EXACT issue with his plugs, so I changed his as well, but since I had my reader in hand this time, I cleared them right away.

Regarding an airbag light, not sure if you can easily clear it though. I removed my steering wheel and airbag to do something, and got the airbag light as well. This was because one of my airbag cables was disconnected. As long as you have everything connected properly, you MAY have to just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so and plug it back in and see if that works.

You can always buy an ODB2 reader...

I have the vGate icar II Wifi version (made for iOS), but you can get the bluetooth version for android phone/tablet. I use that in conjunction with the BMWHAT app to clear the codes, but again, not sure if airbag lights can be cleared... Probably can. The app is a little costly, but is well worth it for doing battery registration, code clearing, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I had a code from a "passenger seat belt buckle" come up only once. Six months later I mentioned it to the dealer, they were still able to see the code and replaced the roof module.

You can have "current" codes and "history" codes. History codes will not be cleared by time. Must go in and clear them manually.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
mahlerbeatdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I had a code from a "passenger seat belt buckle" come up only once. Six months later I mentioned it to the dealer, they were still able to see the code and replaced the roof module.

You can have "current" codes and "history" codes. History codes will not be cleared by time. Must go in and clear them manually.
I wonder if it varies for restraint system items, such as airbags and whatnot, versus other things. Aforementioned, my Service Engine Soon light went off by itself, and the code is not visible whatsoever through BMWhat or a direct connect to my computer.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
no6thgear
Private
Rep

I forgot to install the seatbelt receptacle when installing seats. I installed and now light is still on. I have a friend with the BMWhat app maybe I'll try that after unplugging battery.
      05-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerbeatdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

I wonder if it varies for restraint system items, such as airbags and whatnot, versus other things. Aforementioned, my Service Engine Soon light went off by itself, and the code is not visible whatsoever through BMWhat or a direct connect to my computer.
Different modules will do different things. SRS codes will usually always leave a trace.
Appreciate 0