BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
IND and EAS Carbon Fiber Question

Hey Guys,

I bought carbon fiber side grills, hood vents and front grills from Turner Motorsports and they ended up being really bad quality. The side grills faded severely, the hood vents didn't fit at all, and the front grills had a huge layer of bubbles after a few months of sun exposure. I am thinking about purchasing the front and side grills as well as the hood vents from EAS. The vents are from EAS, but the front and side grills are from IND on their website. I just wanted to ask if I should be worried about fitment, bubbling or fading? The parts aren't cheap so I don't want to spend money only to have this happen again. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I may be wrong but I don't think the CF parts are made in house same as the Turner CF stuff. You may want to look into OEM "edition" stuff as the black chrome actually blends with the carbon fiber bits really well plus it's OEM so there's rarely any problems
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86
I may be wrong but I don't think the CF parts are made in house same as the Turner CF stuff. You may want to look into OEM "edition" stuff as the black chrome actually blends with the carbon fiber bits really well plus it's OEM so there's rarely any problems
Black chrome OEM? I can't say I've ever heard of that before. EAS and IND claim they use OEM parts and layer it with carbon fiber. I'm not sure if you are saying to go with that or look at BMW's website?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Black chrome OEM? I can't say I've ever heard of that before. EAS and IND claim they use OEM parts and layer it with carbon fiber. I'm not sure if you are saying to go with that or look at BMW's website?
I just wasn't sure if EAS and iND made them in house. But I was referring to OEM gills and grill. They make chrome, black and the "Edition" set which is called black chrome. I went through the same thing trying to match with my CF parts and ultimately went with the "edition" set which matches nicely

Check this out
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...ion-grille-set
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86
Quote:
I just wasn't sure if EAS and iND made them in house. But I was referring to OEM gills and grill. They make chrome, black and the "Edition" set which is called black chrome. I went through the same thing trying to match with my CF parts and ultimately went with the "edition" set which matches nicely

Check this out
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/brands/bmw/bmw-edition-grille-set
Wow that looks great, thanks for the pictures!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow that looks great, thanks for the pictures!
No prob. Just something to think about.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

+1.

BMW OEM Front and Side Grilles in black chrome (SKU : EDITIONPKG) and iND Carbon Fiber Hood Vents (SKU : CFVENTS).

Great service, easy install and perfect fitment. HINT: On the side grilles, use the clear wrapping tape method to pull the old ones off (there's a video for this on YouTube), not the pry method.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadpipes View Post
+1.

BMW OEM Front and Side Grilles in black chrome (SKU : EDITIONPKG) and iND Carbon Fiber Hood Vents (SKU : CFVENTS).

Great service, easy install and perfect fitment. HINT: On the side grilles, use the clear wrapping tape method to pull the old ones off (there's a video for this on YouTube), not the pry method.

Good luck!
Yes don't pry them
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E
Hey Guys,

I bought carbon fiber side grills, hood vents and front grills from Turner Motorsports and they ended up being really bad quality. The side grills faded severely, the hood vents didn't fit at all, and the front grills had a huge layer of bubbles after a few months of sun exposure. I am thinking about purchasing the front and side grills as well as the hood vents from EAS. The vents are from EAS, but the front and side grills are from IND on their website. I just wanted to ask if I should be worried about fitment, bubbling or fading? The parts aren't cheap so I don't want to spend money only to have this happen again. Thanks in advance.
I purchased a set of CF gills from IND about a year ago and the first set had some quality issues that that addressed promptly by send a new set.

Fast forward 8-12 months later and unfortunately the clear coating (or maybe it's the actual CF) has started to bubble up and no longer looks great up close. Not sure if this is a rare issue related to a bad batch, but it's something to consider if you have to replace them every year or so
      05-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
Hey Guys,

funny you should post this thread because I had the same issue with the side vents. Bought carbon fiber ones from EAS which are through IND and last night while doing some roll runs, they both popped out and are somewhere scattered along the freeway. Mind you that was my second set. They just don't stay clipped in tight enough. Good luck

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Yea just skip the little carbon pieces.

My opinion is that if it isn't available in carbon from BMW there's a reason.

Stick to carbon on the lip, mirrors, roof, spoiler and diffuser.

But for grilles and gills just get the BMW gloss black or "edition" black chrome. The black chrome really is sick and more special than carbon. I have an edition grille that's 30k miles old now, sits outside all day and looks brand new still.

These awkward carbon parts always fade over time.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

But for grilles and gills just get the BMW gloss black or "edition" black chrome. The black chrome really is sick and more special than carbon. I have an edition grille that's 30k miles old now, sits outside all day and looks brand new still.

Cannot agree more. These small pieces with awkward curves and angles are inherently difficult to wrap also which is likely why unskilled parts manufacturers keep pushing out junk.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #13
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
I purchased a set of CF gills from IND about a year ago and the first set had some quality issues that that addressed promptly by send a new set.

Fast forward 8-12 months later and unfortunately the clear coating (or maybe it's the actual CF) has started to bubble up and no longer looks great up close. Not sure if this is a rare issue related to a bad batch, but it's something to consider if you have to replace them every year or so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecio84 View Post
funny you should post this thread because I had the same issue with the side vents. Bought carbon fiber ones from EAS which are through IND and last night while doing some roll runs, they both popped out and are somewhere scattered along the freeway. Mind you that was my second set. They just don't stay clipped in tight enough. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Cannot agree more. These small pieces with awkward curves and angles are inherently difficult to wrap also which is likely why unskilled parts manufacturers keep pushing out junk.
Thank you all for the advice, i am probably going to switch to the BMW Black Chrome, i reckon it will look great. Would you mind letting me know where I can find the product (OEM edition of course). Thanks once again everyone
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
OEM black chrome is very nice. I purchased OEM Gloss Black (performance) and have iND gloss black side gills. They match the shadowline trim and gloss black in the mirrors perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice, i am probably going to switch to the BMW Black Chrome, i reckon it will look great. Would you mind letting me know where I can find the product (OEM edition of course). Thanks once again everyone
I posted a link with my pics...at the bottom of my second reply
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
I posted a link with my pics...at the bottom of my second reply
thanks mate, will definitely check it out!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I have yet to find a source for CF part for our cars that have OEM fit and proper UV protection. I bought a set of mirror covers (not the overlay) and they split while I was installing them. Don't even get me started on the hood vents.. Disaster! Needless to say stick with BMW performance and you will keep a few more hairs on your head LOL
I went with Black chrome Performance edition parts. Let me know if you can't find pics
      05-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
I have yet to find a source for CF part for our cars that have OEM fit and proper UV protection. I bought a set of mirror covers (not the overlay) and they split while I was installing them. Don't even get me started on the hood vents.. Disaster! Needless to say stick with BMW performance and you will keep a few more hairs on your head LOL
I went with Black chrome Performance edition parts. Let me know if you can't find pics
Haha thanks mate, actually if you want CF mirror caps, BMW has OEM Performance ones that work great! As for the vents and what not, I am definitely getting the Black chrome parts now after listening to everyone on this thread. Thanks for your post!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Haha thanks mate, actually if you want CF mirror caps, BMW has OEM Performance ones that work great! As for the vents and what not, I am definitely getting the Black chrome parts now after listening to everyone on this thread. Thanks for your post!
Good call on going with Black Chrome OEM . Anytime you buy some aftermarket carbon fiber you are rolling the dice. I have a ton of Carbon Fiber mods on my M3 since 2008 some still looking good and some bad . I gave up on the CF hood vents . It took me 3 times to finally find a vender with good CF front grills that did not bubble up and melt . take a look at my garage pics .

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1
Quote:
Good call on going with Black Chrome OEM . Anytime you buy some aftermarket carbon fiber you are rolling the dice. I have a ton of Carbon Fiber mods on my M3 since 2008 some still looking good and some bad . I gave up on the CF hood vents . It took me 3 times to finally find a vender with good CF front grills that did not bubble up and melt . take a look at my garage pics .
Haha thanks mate, would you mind letting me know which company you got the Carbon fiber grills from? Just for future reference should I choose to go back.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #21
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Haha thanks mate, would you mind letting me know which company you got the Carbon fiber grills from? Just for future reference should I choose to go back.
I got my CF grills from IND glad that worked out finally because it was getting expensive $$$ rolling the dice on a good vendor with good CF grills that did not bubble or melt . I guess like they say 3 times a charm because that is how many times it took me to get it right .

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #22
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1
Quote:
I got my CF grills from IND glad that worked out finally because it was getting expensive rolling the dice on a good vendor with good CF grills that did not bubble or melt . I guess like they say 3 times a charm because that is how many times it took me to get it right .
I checked out your car man, it looks bloody fantastic. I've seen carbon fiber overkill on cars before, but your car is done so tastefully and the carbon fiber really compliments the paint and style. I aspire to make my car like yours one day!
Appreciate 1