BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Calling the garage-less, people who park in the elements.

Wanting to see how many people are in the same boat. My wife and I sold our home to move back to the city. We originally bought a house outside of the city to give me a garage spot for my E46 M3 ZCP and we've been missing the city. I sold the ZCP to find an E9x a year ago and have held off due to recent addition to our family and then we decided to sell the house and buy another place in the city...we knew we'd have to make some sacrifices (like parking) by moving back. We accept that.

Well we had some good prospects for cover parking for a new M, including our one underground stall at the building. I always knew the parking entrance was steep but thought I could swing it...we checked yesterday. An M will NOT make it down the incline.

The other secure, covered options we had lined up dwindled away unfortunately and now I'm left with one option: uncovered in a parking lot. Now at first I thought well I'm just going to buy a 2013 Golf R and not stress about it being exposed like I would an M. On a whim I test drove another E92 M3 and it made me realize I really don't want to compromise. Well I'm worried about it being uncovered in the elements (this will not be a permanent thing).

I wanted to see who else parks their M3 outside everyday and not in a garage or covered parking stall. Worth it? Would you do it again? Let me know your thoughts.

Sorry for the long, detailed explanation.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

I park outside, behind my house and sometimes if I am not going to be driving the car for several days. Like this week. I use a car cover
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

I park in my driveway because I don't quite have the room in my garage to put the car in just yet. My concern is mostly from street parking and drivers that park by feel. I'm less concerned about the elements, but I hope to be able to move the car indoors once winter hits.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I park outside year round in NH. Enjoy driving the car. Don't worry about the cosmetics.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
I park outside, behind my house and sometimes if I am not going to be driving the car for several days. Like this week. I use a car cover
I had the idea for a car cover but I don't like the idea of putting a car cover on unless the car is completely clean. I should use it daily too so it would be a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
I park in my driveway because I don't quite have the room in my garage to put the car in just yet. My concern is mostly from street parking and drivers that park by feel. I'm less concerned about the elements, but I hope to be able to move the car indoors once winter hits.
Unfortunately car will be outside during the winter. I too am scared about people dinging the car but suppose I can just get it taken care of if it happens. It won't be on the street but in a paid monthly lot less than a block away and within eye shot of my balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I park outside year round in NH. Enjoy driving the car. Don't worry about the cosmetics.
How is it in the winter with snow?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Sadly there are those with garage with too much shiets that don't even park their cars. Kinda defeat the purpose of having a car garage. I will park mine in the garage for protection n peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Sadly there are those with garage with too much shiets that don't even park their cars. Kinda defeat the purpose of having a car garage. I will park mine in the garage for protection n peace of mind
Nothing sad about that...people are in different situations and have different needs for their home storage. I'm sure ideally for most they'd have coverage but not always the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

In winter i am not driving my car. so i will pay for a parking garage then. or find some freind who has space enough to keep it for me.......LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
In winter i am not driving my car. so i will pay for a parking garage then. or find some freind who has space enough to keep it for me.......LOL
Maybe by wintertime I'll buy a beater.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
To hell with the house, give me a whopping garage with a shop area. The amount of crap (literally and figuratively) that collects on cars parked outside is too much to keep up with. Not to mention the UV exposure spells an early demise for everything constantly exposed to sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
I park outside my garage-less home here in Seattle. Car used to get super dusty regularly. I had a detail shop opticoat the car. Now dust doesn't stick and a quick trip to diy car wash (pressureizedwater only, never use the brush) keeps it clean. Other than it being keyed the first day I got it, never has suffered any damage parked on the street.

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I used to park under a carport (over this last winter) and then realized that my car would fit in our garage (barely). I have about an inch between the garage door and front bumper, and an inch between the back bumper and back wall, but I make it work. I have one of these..

http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-37358-Ri...ge+tire+marker

..on the ground, and a couple of these..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKAZVI/...rage+protector

..on the back wall, and I park in the garage everyday (very carefully). It is a hassle, but for the sake of keeping the ///M protected from the elements, I make it work.

We are considering moving, and found the perfect house today, but the parking situation sucks, and that is a no-go for us. I won't rent/buy another house without a garage space for the ///M. Call me crazy, overprotective, or whatever, but my M3 is worth more to me than that, and I know what parking a car out in the elements year round will do to it.

That said, they make fairly portable carports, and outdoor car covers. Not sure if these are an option in your situation, but without a permanent carport or garage, buying a carport like the one below, and a good quality outdoor car cover should be fine if you don't drive the car everyday (taking the cover on and off would likely damage the paint eventually, and would be a huge hassle)

http://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com/...Eave_d_Carport
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 07-08-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I leave my 335i in the driveway because I only have two garage bays. The only issue is it doesn't stay clean very long after washing, being exposed to the elements and whatnot. And having to clean it off after snow storms sucks too. Other than that it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

You're over thinking it. It's a car...

Polish and coat painted surfaces (body and wheels) with CQuartz UK and black plastics with DLux. The coatings should be good for a couple years. Maintain with regular washes and spray wax. After a couple years, repeat.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
You're over thinking it. It's a car...

Polish and coat paint with CQuartz UK and black plastics with DLux and maintain with regular washes and spray wax.
While it may be "just a car" to you, some people are more passionate about cars, or their personal belongings in general for that matter. Can't fault the guy for not wanting to park his car outside in the rain, sleet, hail, wind, snow and whatever else he has to deal with where he lives.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

That's why i gave a very solid solution for all but one of those problems. The other one is covered by insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

My car parks in the driveway year round, (car covered and stored from late Nov to April). I have a garage, but its for my Motorcycles.....

Last edited by Webb70; 07-08-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post

How is it in the winter with snow?
I run snow wheels in the winter and the car is ok up to its ground clearance limits with snow tires. It's not an SUV but I have driven it the last 5 winters in NH and it has gotten me where I need to go. I am into the driving part. I don't want to spend more time cleaning or worrying than driving. I also don't want to drive a beater most of the time to preserve the M3 for its next owner.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

My M3 is garaged year round.

My X5 is parked outside year round. I wash the car about every 2-3 weeks, and wax about once a month. The car also gets weekly trips to touchless washes to rinse the dust off.

If you do something like this, you'll see it's not too hard to maintain the shine on the car. A few coats of wax helps.
      07-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #20
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
My M3 is garaged year round.

My X5 is parked outside year round. I wash the car about every 2-3 weeks, and wax about once a month. The car also gets weekly trips to touchless washes to rinse the dust off.

If you do something like this, you'll see it's not too hard to maintain the shine on the car. A few coats of wax helps.
That's ridiculous. It's just a car
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #21
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'm in the same boat since my garage is currently filled with my wife's things.

My routine is... Detail once a year and use a synthetic wax so it lasts long.

I cover the car with BMW's OEM car cover while at home.

Drive to work, quickly dust car off using a california car duster.... Then cover at work.

Once I get home... Same thing... Quick use of the duster then cover again.

Takes me 5 min to through cover on and off .

If the car starts getting dirty I will wash the car using either a rinseless or waterless wash depending on how soiled the car is. Otherwise I'll leave the cover off until I can wash the car.

I can go 1 to 2 weeks without a wash with this routine if driving daily. If just driving weekends I can get away with washing just once a month.

I have no swirls, no scratches, and the paint is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #22
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
That's ridiculous. It's just a car
what part do you find excessive? or are you kidding around.

I feel like I'm doing the minimum to maintain the coat and shine on the car.

didn't you just write this? Well this is how I want to take care of MY car and maintain its shine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
While it may be "just a car" to you, some people are more passionate about cars, or their personal belongings in general for that matter. Can't fault the guy for not wanting to park his car outside in the rain, sleet, hail, wind, snow and whatever else he has to deal with where he lives.