BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Soft close doors & 2014-2015 changes

While shopping around for a new X5 35d I also looked at a few CPOed 2014 X5s. I noticed that in 2014 the soft close doors were part of the premium package. Personally I hate too much tech including soft close doors. My question is, are the prone to have issues in the long term?

In addition what other changes are were made on the 2015 model? I read on a post there was a transmission update (software/hardware).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mad_max; 07-27-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I can't really answer your questions but as with everything mechanical, there is a chance of it breaking. If you are really concerned about potential hardware/software issues, luxury cars might not be for you because they are packed with them. In this case, if it fails, you just close the door as you would normally close a door

I have a newborn and wish I had the soft close doors. I have a 2015 with premium package and it didn't come with.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

There have been reports of the soft close doors spontaneously unlatching, specifically with members on this board, but it's not a widespread problem.
Dealer replaces the entire motor/mechanism if you run into the issue.
I've never experienced it myself, but would be alarmed if it happened while at speed, that's for sure.
      07-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I can't really answer your questions but as with everything mechanical, there is a chance of it breaking. If you are really concerned about potential hardware/software issues, luxury cars might not be for you because they are packed with them. In this case, if it fails, you just close the door as you would normally close a door
I beg to differ. I'm a long time BMW owner and had more than 6 BMWs over the years. Right now I have a E70 X5 and a Porsche 991 C2S. Both are luxury cars fully loaded with 'usable' tech. There are some techs that I consider are plain stupid and does nothing for enthusiasts like us, but just add headaches when they break.

From what I've read if there is an issue with the soft close system it might not be as simple of as normally closing the door, it might prevent the door being shut at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
I beg to differ. I'm a long time BMW owner and had more than 6 BMWs over the years. Right now I have a E70 X5 and a Porsche 991 C2S. Both are luxury cars fully loaded with 'usable' tech. There are some techs that I consider are plain stupid and does nothing for enthusiasts like us, but just add headaches when they break.

From what I've read if there is an issue with the soft close system it might not be as simple of as normally closing the door, it might prevent the door being shut at all.
First, the threads addressing this should also point to a recall that fixed the issue.
http://wot.motortrend.com/recall_201...r_feature.html

Secondly, I'm also a long time BMW/MB buyer and while I agree that there are some useless tech features lets be honest, this is a luxury SUV before an enthusiasts driving machine. the more creature comforts, the better. If I wanted a no frills drivers car, it wouldn't be one that was made in the last 10-15 years.

Third, like all tech/mechanical things, it will fail. It's just a matter of your tolerance to it when it happens. I've only had soft close doors on one car but it was on a mercedes. If there was a failure, you slam it just like a regular car door. Hell, people typically slammed the door anyway because they didn't know it had this feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Hell, people typically slammed the door anyway because they didn't know it had this feature.
Until this feature becomes standard to all cars..This is why I opted not to get the soft close doors... I would be the only one closing the door properly, while all the passengers will instinctively slam it shut
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
ABE2(aw/sw)
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

I love soft close doors and I felt bad when I read some people hated them. The more tech the better I feel; soft close is something I brag about and I try to use it as much as I can. I have experienced the door opening by itself once before. No biggie, no harm was done. If in the future it keeps on doing it, then the dealer will take care of it.

Last edited by ABE2(aw/sw); 07-30-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0