R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
M School - SC vs S. California

I am looking at doing the 2 day M-School this year and an wondering about the new location in Southern CA.

Can anyone who has done Southern Cal chime in?

How is it? How does it compare with Spartunburg, SC school?

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

so i haven't been to the one in south carolina, but i just did the one in palm springs a few weeks ago. it was a blast. i do believe that it's different than doing it in south carolina though. i think you get a lot more out of that one. We only got to drive the M3/M4's. non of the other M cars. here's a post i wrote up about the day:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1152422
      08-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Haven't been specifically to M school but for other events at both sights, I would take the program in SC hands down ten times over! Thermal is an existing track area that Bmw just hooked on with, South Carolina is a specific location just for BMW the facility is far more advanced across the board especially since Thermal is so new. The room alone with the classroom portion in Thermal has the feel at this time of a Big Top circus. although the track is cool, the track area in South Carolina is far more superior. I hope that opinion helps.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not to mention the surrounding area of Upstate South Carolina is probably some of the most awesome scenery in our Country with perfect year round temps, I live in Southern California but loved the Greenville area of South Carolina so much I bought a second home there just to give you an idea.

But on the other hand if you like 113 degree temps Thermal is for you.

Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
so i haven't been to the one in south carolina, but i just did the one in palm springs a few weeks ago. it was a blast. i do believe that it's different than doing it in south carolina though. i think you get a lot more out of that one. We only got to drive the M3/M4's. non of the other M cars. here's a post i wrote up about the day:

I've done the South Carolina M Performance Driving School 1-Day (That was offered for free when I purchased my M5) and then later the M Performance 2-Day (Because the 1-day was a blast and wanted to do it again.) In South Carolina you got to drive all the M cars. During the time I was there it was the E60 M5, the M6, the E92 M3 and also the M Coupe. There was also the experience of going on the Z and X manufacturing plant tour and the museum.

Oh, and the 2-Day M Performance Driving school also meant taking home my BMW colored M Driving helmet and a cool M jacket.

So I can only imagine that the Southern California experience would be fun as well, minus the factory tour and museum. And based on what people have said thus far it looks like you don't get to drive all the M models in Southern California? There's also a BMW M apparel/souvenir store at the South Carolina location so had to grab some souvenirs before I left...
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
DREW@SUPREMEPOWER
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2015 F80

We had the opportunity to go to the Southern California Location in Thermal. This is a brand new facility. The cars that we were able to drive were: M3/M4, M235, X5m, X6m. One of our employees had the chance to go to the SC location and he stated this is nothing like this location. This location is newer and have better cars. This location is very nice and the instructors are great.

Last edited by DREW@SUPREMEPOWER; 08-10-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
I've done the South Carolina M Performance Driving School 1-Day (That was offered for free when I purchased my M5) and then later the M Performance 2-Day (Because the 1-day was a blast and wanted to do it again.) In South Carolina you got to drive all the M cars. During the time I was there it was the E60 M5, the M6, the E92 M3 and also the M Coupe. There was also the experience of going on the Z and X manufacturing plant tour and the museum.

Oh, and the 2-Day M Performance Driving school also meant taking home my BMW colored M Driving helmet and a cool M jacket.

So I can only imagine that the Southern California experience would be fun as well, minus the factory tour and museum. And based on what people have said thus far it looks like you don't get to drive all the M models in Southern California? There's also a BMW M apparel/souvenir store at the South Carolina location so had to grab some souvenirs before I left...
I did the 2-day M Performance School in SC in June. Now that the M4 is out, they do not have M6 any longer (we just alternated between M3, M4 and M5). I was told that as soon as the M2 is released, it will replace the M5. Also, they no longer use helmets (but you still get plenty of other goodies ).

In any case, as others have mentioned, it was a blast and the instructors are really great. I am now looking forward to the Advanced M School. One of the instructors even organizes an annual event at the Nürburgring.
      08-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREW@SUPREMEPOWER View Post
We had the opportunity to go to the Southern California Location in Thermal. This is a brand new facility. The cars that we were able to drive were: M3/M4, M235, X5m, X6m. One of our employees had the chance to go to the SC location and he stated this is nothing like location. This location is newer and have better cars. This location is very nice and the instructor are great.
Can you elaborate?
      08-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

I would not do the school at the Thermal, CA, location in the summertime. It's just too damn hot to be out on a track all day. Barring that, I'd go to whichever you are physically closest to. You'll enjoy either location.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would say hardly a need to elaborate just go on Google Earth look up the thermal club or just type in thermal you will see the track in the satellite photo off to the top left that at the time of the photo was just being graded, then look at the overall rest of the property you will see two tracks you will notice that Bmw occupies about one-tenth of the overall property the two visible tracks are not for bmw although the smaller one is sometimes used for either a follow the leader run or for when the instructors take you for a ride. then on Google Earth look at the Spartanburg South Carolina Performance Center that in itself will make your mind up there is no comparison.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
We had the opportunity to go to the Southern California Location in Thermal. This is a brand new facility. The cars that we were able to drive were: M3/M4, M235, X5m, X6m. One of our employees had the chance to go to the SC location and he stated this is nothing like location. This location is newer and have better cars. This location is very nice and the instructor are great.
I'm sure the South Cali one is nice but the SC performance center is awesome and they have every M car in bulk because they also teach autobody there for BMW NA. The instructors are top notch.

The comment your employee had is kid of funny. I guess the M6 and M5 arent good cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
DREW@SUPREMEPOWER
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2015 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Can you elaborate?
not better cars per say but newer cars with 100 miles on them. Only cars that weren't available in the line up to driver were the M5 and M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I would not do the school at the Thermal, CA, location in the summertime. It's just too damn hot to be out on a track all day. Barring that, I'd go to whichever you are physically closest to. You'll enjoy either location.
Very true. Its terribly hot in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I'm sure the South Cali one is nice but the SC performance center is awesome and they have every M car in bulk because they also teach autobody there for BMW NA. The instructors are top notch.

The comment your employee had is kid of funny. I guess the M6 and M5 arent good cars?
I have not personally been to the South Carolina location but would love to go there. M5 and M6, the instructors were driving those cars. The Thermal location has an ample amount of cars. I was really surprised when we arrived there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not better cars per say but newer cars with 100 miles on them. Only cars that weren't available in the line up to driver were the M5 and M6
None of the cars we drove had more than 2,000-3,000 miles. They are auctioned to dealers as soon as they reach a certain mileage (I forgot exactly what it is) and replaced with new ones.

There is a high turnover, so, depending on when you go, you might find newer cars at either center, but they are always going to be fairly new.

Last edited by dmnc02; 08-10-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Anchored
Banned
Rep
Drives: E39

Having been to both I would say go to SC. I had more fun there and it was not 18 Million degrees out. Its also not in the middle of nowhere so Greenville and the Spartanburg plant provide other fun things to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post

Good information - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Not to mention the surrounding area of Upstate South Carolina is probably some of the most awesome scenery in our Country with perfect year round temps, I live in Southern California but loved the Greenville area of South Carolina so much I bought a second home there just to give you an idea.

But on the other hand if you like 113 degree temps Thermal is for you.
I lived in Greenville, SC for over a year so the scenery thing is not a big a deal. Definitely not doing summer in either local. It's either an oven or sauna - you can take your pic...haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post

Good info since I have done the factory tour in SC, and Munich and did the souvenir thing during ED.

Quote:
We had the opportunity to go to the Southern California Location in Thermal. This is a brand new facility. The cars that we were able to drive were: M3/M4, M235, X5m, X6m. One of our employees had the chance to go to the SC location and he stated this is nothing like this location. This location is newer and have better cars. This location is very nice and the instructors are great.
Good info - really good to hear it from a local. I notice its Palm Springs (not what I think of when they say "souther cal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I did the 2-day M Performance School in SC in June. Now that the M4 is out, they do not have M6 any longer (we just alternated between M3, M4 and M5). I was told that as soon as the M2 is released, it will replace the M5. Also, they no longer use helmets (but you still get plenty of other goodies ).

In any case, as others have mentioned, it was a blast and the instructors are really great. I am now looking forward to the Advanced M School. One of the instructors even organizes an annual event at the Nürburgring.
Yeah, I am trying to get an invite to next years Nürburgring. Do you remember his name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchored View Post
Having been to both I would say go to SC. I had more fun there and it was not 18 Million degrees out. Its also not in the middle of nowhere so Greenville and the Spartanburg plant provide other fun things to do.
Yeah, I am looking at October so not an issue for me.

Thanks for all the info guys, very very helpful since I can discount some of the stuff as Ive done it elsewhere.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
Yeah, I am trying to get an invite to next years Nürburgring. Do you remember his name?
Donnie Isley, but the next event is already full.

Last edited by dmnc02; 08-10-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

SC appears to book up quickly / in advance for October. Probably because it is a nice time to visit the area - looks like Asheville NC not that far away. It would be easy to talk my wife into a trip to the area around that time but it seems like many people have the same plan.
      08-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
SC appears to book up quickly / in advance for October. Probably because it is a nice time to visit the area - looks like Asheville NC not that far away. It would be easy to talk my wife into a trip to the area around that time but it seems like many people have the same plan.
Yeah - I called an first spots open is for December as I am going with some friends. Leaning that way as it will be my birthday week and I can stop in on my drive to Miami. I usually go for 3 weeks at Xmas time and it may make sense to drive.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #19
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

One word. Asheville.

Makes it all worth It in SC.

PERFECT town.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I decided to register for the 8/28 one-day M School in SC. Anyone else going to be there?

Didn't notice it mentioned above but BMWCCA members get 15% off, which more than paid for BMWCCA membership dues as an FYI.
      08-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I decided to register for the 8/28 one-day M School in SC. Anyone else going to be there?

Didn't notice it mentioned above but BMWCCA members get 15% off, which more than paid for BMWCCA membership dues as an FYI.
That and the credit for getting a new car. Worth every penny.

One of the guys I am going with is trying to sway the group into the Porsche school. Anyone ever attend?

It looks like they use Caymans? If it was a 911 I would consider it but I would rather drive an M4 then a Cayman but that may just be me.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #22
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
That and the credit for getting a new car. Worth every penny.

One of the guys I am going with is trying to sway the group into the Porsche school. Anyone ever attend?

It looks like they use Caymans? If it was a 911 I would consider it but I would rather drive an M4 then a Cayman but that may just be me.
Unfortunately I missed the credit on the new car because I joined after getting the car, but will have it for the next one.

Porsche uses Caymans? Not even an S? A GT4 would be pretty compelling but I doubt they would use that for Porsche school.