ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

If You Can Do It All Over Again...

What type of suspension route would you have done?

Specifically, if you got coils would you have gotten springs instead or a different brand coilover kit and vice versa.

I've done quite a bit of research on the forums. I realize most this is subjective. Originally I was set in BC racing coils but since I have edc I looked into the kw has and the swift racing spec r springs. With limited data on swift I'm hesitant but from their track record they seem to be good.

Vendors or brand specific fan boys please do not share your opinion. I want to see real opinions from people with first hand experience.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Go over to the Swift thread, there is plenty of feedbacks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'd love to see more people contribute to this thread, it would be so informative.
Especially for people still deciding on an option for lowering their car from oem.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I went with the KW has kit with this car instead of the HR springs that were offered immediately. I have ZERO regrets with the KW HAS kit. My reasons are:

1) Not the 4k price tag that coilovers cost (I rarely drive on a track, so that money wasn't wise to spend)
2) All I wanted was to eliminate wheel gap (which they did AND they are adjustable HUGE PLUS)
3) THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE
4) You can still use your EDC settings AND you can still feel a difference between settings (comfort/sport/sport plus)
5) Wear and Tear not anywhere near as horrible as springs

Overall, I am THRILLED with my KW Has kit and would STRONGLY suggest anyone buying and installing this system instead of springs.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCHOP View Post
I went with the KW has kit with this car instead of the HR springs that were offered immediately. I have ZERO regrets with the KW HAS kit. My reasons are:

1) Not the 4k price tag that coilovers cost (I rarely drive on a track, so that money wasn't wise to spend)
2) All I wanted was to eliminate wheel gap (which they did AND they are adjustable HUGE PLUS)
3) THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE
4) You can still use your EDC settings AND you can still feel a difference between settings (comfort/sport/sport plus)
5) Wear and Tear not anywhere near as horrible as springs

Overall, I am THRILLED with my KW Has kit and would STRONGLY suggest anyone buying and installing this system instead of springs.
Curious as to why you think the wear and tear is not nearly as horrible as springs? They are the same as lowering springs, only height adjustable. Most of the wear and tear on springs I'd say go to the shocks, and maybe wear out OEM bushings/shock mounts quicker..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Curious as to why you think the wear and tear is not nearly as horrible as springs? They are the same as lowering springs, only height adjustable. Most of the wear and tear on springs I'd say go to the shocks, and maybe wear out OEM bushings/shock mounts quicker..
Yes, you are right in the sense that the kit is still just a spring with a height adjustable perch. But with my past experience with installing just stand alone springs (H&R Race springs on a 330zhp), I found myself constantly replacing bushings, cracked control arms, shocks, cutting and rolling my finders, my tires would wear unevenly (alignment issue, I'm aware) and not to mention the CONSTANT scraping when going over bumps and under any kind of load. Anytime someone would sit in the back seat I would be so ashamed the noise my tires would make on the inside of my fender. Not something anyone should worry about driving any kind of BMW.

With the KW HAS kit, I have the option to adjust the height to avoid most of these headaches by not having the car only lowered to one height. I also ordered Adaptive suspension on my M4 and still retaining these functions is priceless with the KW HAS kit. And my bushings are also more durable; polyurethane.

And the best part, It didn't cost me $3500+ like any coilover option runs.

Last edited by FSHNGRY; 10-03-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Yes, you are right in the sense that the kit is still just a spring with a height adjustable perch. But with my past experience with installing just stand alone springs (H&R Race springs on a 330zhp), I found myself constantly replacing bushings, cracked control arms, shocks, cutting and rolling my finders, my tires would wear unevenly (alignment issue, I'm aware) and not to mention the CONSTANT scraping when going over bumps and under any kind of load. Anytime someone would sit in the back seat I would be so ashamed the noise my tires would make on the inside of my fender. Not something anyone should worry about driving any kind of BMW.

With the KW HAS kit, I have the option to adjust the height to avoid most of these headaches by not having the car only lowered to one height. I also ordered Adaptive suspension on my M4 and still retaining these functions is priceless with the KW HAS kit. And my bushings are also more durable; polyurethane.

And the best part, It didn't cost me $3500+ like any coilover option runs.
H&R race were super low and progressive, they were known to bottom out. I had an e46 sedan 10 years ago and bushings / control arms were a known wear and tear item on every e46. Your issues with your lowering on your e46 would've been the same had you gotten the HAS system on your e46. Half your issues (fenders / rubbing / scraping / passenger complaints) all deal with ride height and wheel fitment. Again if you swapped your e46 h&r with the kw has and kept the ride height the same the issues would still be there.. which is why I'm not sure you think this is the answer to the issues you had on your e46. To me it sounds you're better off with a mild drop spring, which would still also keep your adaptive fine.. the only advantage I see about has over a mild dropped spring is the ability to fine tune ride height for mild drops. That's it. These aren't comparable to coilovers, you are still buying just springs.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
H&R race were super low and progressive, they were known to bottom out. I had an e46 sedan 10 years ago and bushings / control arms were a known wear and tear item on every e46. Your issues with your lowering on your e46 would've been the same had you gotten the HAS system on your e46. Half your issues (fenders / rubbing / scraping / passenger complaints) all deal with ride height and wheel fitment. Again if you swapped your e46 h&r with the kw has and kept the ride height the same the issues would still be there.. which is why I'm not sure you think this is the answer to the issues you had on your e46. To me it sounds you're better off with a mild drop spring, which would still also keep your adaptive fine.. the only advantage I see about has over a mild dropped spring is the ability to fine tune ride height for mild drops. That's it. These aren't comparable to coilovers, you are still buying just springs.
I completely agree with you. The only comparison to the coilovers I'm making to the KW HAS kit is that I can still mildly adjust the height settings without paying the exponentially higher price tag. Wear and tear is inevitable.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I completely agree with you. The only comparison to the coilovers I'm making to the KW HAS kit is that I can still mildly adjust the height settings without paying the exponentially higher price tag. Wear and tear is inevitable.
Unrelated, but didn't you post awhile ago saying you were getting rid of your car? I remember the pics of your uncle's fleet of Ferraris, and I haven't seen you here lately.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Unrelated, but didn't you post awhile ago saying you were getting rid of your car? I remember the pics of your uncle's fleet of Ferraris, and I haven't seen you here lately.
No way, not me! Must have been mistaken for someone else. I love this car. I plan on keeping it for another couple of years, if not longer. I enjoy it too much everytime I drive it. Besides I have my exhaust being put on this week, and I still have an itch for the carbon fiber seatbacks to also order sometime later in the year. I like to space the mods out to keep things exciting. And yes, that was my car with my uncles fleet. I haven't posted in awhile because I was in Europe on vacation and extremely busy with some property development/renovations. All is calm now, I'll be showing more face around these parts again! I'll be updating with more photos in the coming weeks!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
No way, not me! Must have been mistaken for someone else. I love this car. I plan on keeping it for another couple of years, if not longer. I enjoy it too much everytime I drive it. Besides I have my exhaust being put on this week, and I still have an itch for the carbon fiber seatbacks to also order sometime later in the year. I like to space the mods out to keep things exciting. And yes, that was my car with my uncles fleet. I haven't posted in awhile because I was in Europe on vacation and extremely busy with some property development/renovations. All is calm now, I'll be showing more face around these parts again! I'll be updating with more photos in the coming weeks!
Sorry then, I must have misremembered about your car. But I'll never forget your uncles stable. Good to have you back on the board.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #12
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Quote:
Nailed it.

Ok back to the topic at hand lol.
Appreciate 0