Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
ROBD314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Rear deck lid rattle

Anyone experience a rattle from the rear deck lid ? I have the sun shade and was wondering if that could be making the noise. It's the same wether the sun shade is up or down. It sounds like something is loose or hanging. I've checked all rear speaker screws, car seat latches, seats, and trunk. Pretty frustrating for just having a new '16 F80 that's only 2 weeks old !!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

heard something like this recently. it was extremely subtle, but I think I have this same issue. can only hear it when the music and A/C are off and you go over bumps. subscribed for any updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

could it be the first one in this thread? my car is on its way back from Europe, so I can't test it out. hope this helps - post up what you find if you do try anything here.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
ROBD314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
heard something like this recently. it was extremely subtle, but I think I have this same issue. can only hear it when the music and A/C are off and you go over bumps. subscribed for any updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
could it be the first one in this thread? my car is on its way back from Europe, so I can't test it out. hope this helps - post up what you find if you do try anything here.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768
Yeah, Its pretty subtle, only when AC and radio are off. Pretty annoying when I'm on a phone call though. I tried driving with all the latches open and thats not the issue. I went through the whole rear of the car last night and pin pointed to the whole deck-lid itself ! when I press down on it it feels like is hitting something and making the noise. I take my car in for its 1200 mile service next week so I'll see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
SapphireSiC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I heard a rattle whenever I closed (slammed) the trunk closed. Turned out the lower diffuser above the exhaust was loose. I believe the bottom is snapped on and can come loose. Something to check anyway.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBD314 View Post
Yeah, Its pretty subtle, only when AC and radio are off. Pretty annoying when I'm on a phone call though. I tried driving with all the latches open and thats not the issue. I went through the whole rear of the car last night and pin pointed to the whole deck-lid itself ! when I press down on it it feels like is hitting something and making the noise. I take my car in for its 1200 mile service next week so I'll see what they say.
good luck. please report back with whatever you discover.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
ROBD314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update....So I took the car into the dealer and had them check it out while doing my break in service. Turns out after taking the whole rear deck off, they found that the plastic brace that locks it into place was cracked !! Now they said that it is possible It could of happened in transport but most likely It was the window tinters putting too much weight on the back deck and cracked it. Good thing is that they warrantied it and it is all fixed !! So beware of who is tinting your car and tell them that the rear deck on the M3's are pretty fragile.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

good stuff - thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0