BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 G80x

Got t-boned the other day

Was driving down a residential street, minding my own business. Some random guy saw me, but just had an urge to exit his driveway as I was passing, anyway The good news is that his insurance will cover the repairs since it was deemed his fault. The bad news is that I'm guessing I just lost a bunch of resale value for absolutely no reason. New door, possibly new sideskirt (doesn't seem fully attached at the back anymore), and who knows how much paintwork

I'm kinda worried about what will have to be done to fix it, given that the metal around the door looks a bit warped (see behind the door handle and the trim around the doorsill). Anyone have any idea how these things are corrected? I'll talk the body shop to make sure they saw the warped bits, but I just wanted to have a general idea so I know what to expect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

Bad luck. Glad you weren't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:04 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Oh man, things like this makes me more and more careful in the traffic, some people simply shouldn't sit behind a wheel.

I'm sure it will get sorted and look new though, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Good thing that's not that bad. For sure it can get fixed but it will be $$$$$. Needs to be fixed by a dealer. Edit or a really good collision shop

Last edited by M3Bimmer77; 09-22-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Chin180sx
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

You can talk to the insurance company that is covering the costs and ask for lost residual value to be taken into account. They will fight you on it, but since it is a low production vehicle (generally speaking) They will some times cut you an extra check for the loss value. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Good thing that's not that bad. For sure it can get fixed but it will be $$$$$. Needs to be fixed by a dealer.
I would NEVER let the dealer fix it. Most don't have body shops and will farm it out cheaply. The ones that do have body shops on premises are still looking to do the repairs cheaply. Find a body shop in your area that does high end restorations and have them look at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
I would NEVER let the dealer fix it. Most don't have body shops and will farm it out cheaply. The ones that do have body shops on premises are still looking to do the repairs cheaply. Find a body shop in your area that does high end restorations and have them look at it.
This is totally true, I learned this the hard way. They do large volume fixes and cut corners wherever they can.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
Agree 100% but there are BMW dealers with collision certified centers which I still think it's the best way. The suggestion of a good high end restoration shop is also a good one. Either way find a very good one. Needs to be BMW experience to give all the final measurements and paint quality. Don't forget that when you sell the car the new owner will most probably ask for reapirs or repainted panels. Be prepared for this and get as much pics before during and after and as much documentation to show the extent of the damage. Ask to see the car before painting. No filling!!!! And ask for warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

File a diminished value claim against their insurance once repairs are done.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I will try to take the car to a certified BMW collision center.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Yikes, glad to hear you are OK.
      09-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
SilberSurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is

I got into a very very similar accident a month ago. PM me if you want to know how much the cost, dim value, time frame was.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Sorry to hear,

No worries man, I had similar damage in the exact same spot on my E46 M3 after an elderly lady decide to rake the left front corner of her crown victoria down the side of my car as she was backing out of the spot next to me... New fender, door, and some minor body work on the right quarter... I took it to the most reputable pro body shop and it came out looking bran new again... You could not even tell it had been damaged, even years after...

Have a reputable luxury car body shop do the work... BMW dealerships usually only use professional shops, and your local dealer can probably get you in the right direction...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I picked a random shop in my area that seemed good, so we'll see what happens after I drop off my car on Wednesday.

Quote:
Agree 100% but there are BMW dealers with collision certified centers which I still think it's the best way. The suggestion of a good high end restoration shop is also a good one. Either way find a very good one. Needs to be BMW experience to give all the final measurements and paint quality. Don't forget that when you sell the car the new owner will most probably ask for reapirs or repainted panels. Be prepared for this and get as much pics before during and after and as much documentation to show the extent of the damage. Ask to see the car before painting. No filling!!!! And ask for warranty
Great tip with seeing the car before painting. I will try to get that, as I'm curious to see what they'll do.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

all of this talk about a "bmw certified shop" it's cute. just bc they send their cars to a certain shop and tag it as certified, doesn't mean the work is good. or up to par with bmw. i've had several cars come to me in which bmw "certified" shops couldn't match paint etc.. not saying they are all like that.. but just keep your eyes open and do your hw.

as for repairs, new door, repair the 1/4 panel, and also the rocker looks repairable. due to the door being replaced they will have to blend that fender. so the entire side of that car will be refinished when all is said and done. any questions about repairs, pm me.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
socalm3lover
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Good thing that's not that bad. For sure it can get fixed but it will be $$$$$. Needs to be fixed by a dealer.
I could not let it pass....., my dealer has a terrible collision shop, do not assume it is good because of the dealer. I am going to a higher end, Porsche/etc for a scratch repair (they also have the best BMW guy in the area).

John
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #17
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
For some reason getting T-boned sounds a whole lot better than getting rear-ended....

Sorry, just sayin'!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Ouch!
      09-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
For some reason getting T-boned sounds a whole lot better than getting rear-ended....

Sorry, just sayin'!
Haha! Touché... I was pretty upset about the whole thing, but slowly calming down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
all of this talk about a "bmw certified shop" it's cute. just bc they send their cars to a certain shop and tag it as certified, doesn't mean the work is good. or up to par with bmw. i've had several cars come to me in which bmw "certified" shops couldn't match paint etc.. not saying they are all like that.. but just keep your eyes open and do your hw.

as for repairs, new door, repair the 1/4 panel, and also the rocker looks repairable. due to the door being replaced they will have to blend that fender. so the entire side of that car will be refinished when all is said and done. any questions about repairs, pm me.
Yeah, that's what it sounded like re: new door, 1/4 panel, rocker panel, plus a lot of paintwork. Actually the guy mentioned possibly repainting the fender too which seems a bit excessive, given it wasn't touched. Maybe he meant just blending the paint, not sure. I'll definitely reach out to you if I've got questions since it sounds like you've got a lot more experience with this kind of stuff than me
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #20
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Whatever collision shop you took it to make sure they're using new not used parts a lot of insurance companies will have the collision shop search the local area for a used door a used quarter panel also inquire about the paint that they use PPG or glasurit... they will have to blend the entire side of the car... once completed search your local area for a good auto appraiser and file a diminished value claim if your state allows it.. it's always good to ask the local Ferrari dealership who they use for paint work locally in a lot of cases they have their own body shop nearby but sometimes they use local
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minator View Post
Whatever collision shop you took it to make sure they're using new not used parts a lot of insurance companies will have the collision shop search the local area for a used door a used quarter panel also inquire about the paint that they use PPG or glasurit... they will have to blend the entire side of the car... once completed search your local area for a good auto appraiser and file a diminished value claim if your state allows it.. it's always good to ask the local Ferrari dealership who they use for paint work locally in a lot of cases they have their own body shop nearby but sometimes they use local

depends on his insurance, it's in his policy. op always has the choice to pay the difference to get brand new parts.

PPG, Glasurit, spies hecker.. blah blah, doesn't matter what paint they use unless the people using them know what they are doing.

and fyi, bmw doesn't use any of those paints. Again, proper APPLICATION of quality products results in a quality finish.

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...ss/paint-shop/

lexus however, does indeed use glasurit. when i tell people lexus has the best paint quality out of the "base" manufactuers they are surprised.

Bentley being the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #22
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeisalie View Post
Was driving down a residential street, minding my own business. Some random guy saw me, but just had an urge to exit his driveway as I was passing, anyway The good news is that his insurance will cover the repairs since it was deemed his fault. The bad news is that I'm guessing I just lost a bunch of resale value for absolutely no reason. New door, possibly new sideskirt (doesn't seem fully attached at the back anymore), and who knows how much paintwork

I'm kinda worried about what will have to be done to fix it, given that the metal around the door looks a bit warped (see behind the door handle and the trim around the doorsill). Anyone have any idea how these things are corrected? I'll talk the body shop to make sure they saw the warped bits, but I just wanted to have a general idea so I know what to expect.
The first bit of good news is that you walked away from an accident without an injury to yourself. The second (possible) bit of good news is that some states have adopted "Diminished Value Claims" that allow you to be reimbursed for the value lost due to an accident caused by the other individual. Each state uses a different formula to calculate the reimbursement amount...but at least you will get a fair sum of money back in your pocket to ease the quantitative losses to your vehicle. Best of luck mate, do let us know what the body shop says
Appreciate 0