BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 335i

3 series to M3

Is this a big step for someone to go onto? In a few years i am thinking about departing my 3 series and getting probably a e92 m3. I would like to know people who have or had the m3 and see what the pros and cons would be for owning a m3. I will most likely use it as a daily as well.

Last edited by STRMTRPR; 10-06-2015 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I have owned 2 E92 335's; IMHO, great cars. I was looking for a 335is at my local dealer when I purchased my M3. I've never looked back, the M is a totally different car, even left stock the M is a an incredible car to drive. I also own a 991 C4S, and actually prefer driving the M. I live at 7 000 feet above sea level, so lose a great deal of power due to the altitude, however, this car has plenty of power, I can't imagine what it would feel like at sea level. You'll probably hear a lot about lack of torque at lower revs with the M. Simply put, it's not a turbocharged 335, that vehicle is designed to deliver all of its torque at around 1500 RPM, the M is designed to be driven at higher revs, so, if you do get to test drive the E92 M, you will need to wind it up to understand that the power band is different to a turbocharged car. One thing I can promise you is that you'll quickly forget your non M 3 series very quickly once you own an M3.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I have owned 2 E92 335's; IMHO, great cars. I was looking for a 335is at my local dealer when I purchased my M3. I've never looked back, the M is a totally different car, even left stock the M is a an incredible car to drive. I also own a 991 C4S, and actually prefer driving the M. I live at 7 000 feet above sea level, so lose a great deal of power due to the altitude, however, this car has plenty of power, I can't imagine what it would feel like at sea level. You'll probably hear a lot about lack of torque at lower revs with the M. Simply put, it's not a turbocharged 335, that vehicle is designed to deliver all of its torque at around 1500 RPM, the M is designed to be driven at higher revs, so, if you do get to test drive the E92 M, you will need to wind it up to understand that the power band is different to a turbocharged car. One thing I can promise you is that you'll quickly forget your non M 3 series very quickly once you own an M3.
+1 on this, plus I live at sea level.

It is very hard to describe what the V8 M3 feels like compared to a regular 3 (we owned a 328xi in the past). It just keeps going and going. I never drove another car that made peak power at redline, meaning it accelerates all the way to the 8300 on the stock ECU.

So M3 life begins at something like 5K rpm, already hard to do during a legal test drive; the thrill kicks in at 6K and then there is still 30% more to go...
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Just echoing what has already been said, but the M3 exhilarating to drive when you can get the revs past 5k. It will feel subdued prior to that, but it is by no means a slouch (though those that need instance torque at 2k RPM will say so). The car will feel much more planted than any regular 3 series and the feedback that you get in a corner + the induction (and with aftermarket exhaust) noise afterwards as you WOT out of it is nearly irreplaceable by any other vehicle.

So if you just putter around at 2-3500 RPM the car will feel quite tame until you can actually open the cage. This cage feels much smaller if you're supercharged mind you .
      10-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
woody4332
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (E93)

I recently just made the switch from my 2010 E90 328i to a 2008 E93 M3, and I love it! The salesman didn't have to say a word to sell the car, on my test drive he let me get up onto the highway, I ran out 2nd and 3rd and had the biggest smile ever! He asked if I had fun, and I replied with you just sold a car.

Now this is also my DD, a few big differences aside from the obvious power difference, is that gas mileage will drop significantly especially if you drive the M like it is meant to be driven. Currently I'm averaging about 14 MPG. Also routine maintenance is much more expensive but this should be expected.

Go for the 6MT. All around the M is a thrill to drive and I have never missed my 328i.

Woody

2008 E93 M3 Jerez Black/silver. MS Stage II Intake, MS underdrive Pulley's
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I owned an e90 335 before jumping to the M3 and I've never looked back. Everything about the M just feels much more special and better designed then the regular 3 series. Regarding the torque in lower RPMs, I think there is plenty of power as long as you know how to be in the right band at the right time.

Also, I had way more mechanical/electrical issues with the 335 then the M. This thing is bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Thank you for your feedback and helpful info! I didn't even realize about the sea level thing, its good to know. I will most likely not do anything to the m3 as you said stock alone m3 is a beast.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
+1 on this, plus I live at sea level.

It is very hard to describe what the V8 M3 feels like compared to a regular 3 (we owned a 328xi in the past). It just keeps going and going. I never drove another car that made peak power at redline, meaning it accelerates all the way to the 8300 on the stock ECU.

So M3 life begins at something like 5K rpm, already hard to do during a legal test drive; the thrill kicks in at 6K and then there is still 30% more to go...
I would imagine , i never even drove or been in a M car yet. With everything being said im expecting something very awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Just echoing what has already been said, but the M3 exhilarating to drive when you can get the revs past 5k. It will feel subdued prior to that, but it is by no means a slouch (though those that need instance torque at 2k RPM will say so). The car will feel much more planted than any regular 3 series and the feedback that you get in a corner + the induction (and with aftermarket exhaust) noise afterwards as you WOT out of it is nearly irreplaceable by any other vehicle.

So if you just putter around at 2-3500 RPM the car will feel quite tame until you can actually open the cage. This cage feels much smaller if you're supercharged mind you .
After driving my 3 series , i just love the why it takes corners and drives. Just imagining how the performance and drive of a m3 makes me want it like right now hahah. But thank you for your feedback! Im not gonna lie , im kinda nervous but i will probably get over it after getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody4332 View Post
I recently just made the switch from my 2010 E90 328i to a 2008 E93 M3, and I love it! The salesman didn't have to say a word to sell the car, on my test drive he let me get up onto the highway, I ran out 2nd and 3rd and had the biggest smile ever! He asked if I had fun, and I replied with you just sold a car.

Now this is also my DD, a few big differences aside from the obvious power difference, is that gas mileage will drop significantly especially if you drive the M like it is meant to be driven. Currently I'm averaging about 14 MPG. Also routine maintenance is much more expensive but this should be expected.

Go for the 6MT. All around the M is a thrill to drive and I have never missed my 328i.

Woody
Thats awesome!! Yeah actually a downside for me is that my 328xi burns a lot of gas, and i drive average. And for the maintenance i know is gonna be expensive , but thats not a major issue for me . I was thinking going with the 8 MT because my 3 series is 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CognitiveDistortion View Post
I owned an e90 335 before jumping to the M3 and I've never looked back. Everything about the M just feels much more special and better designed then the regular 3 series. Regarding the torque in lower RPMs, I think there is plenty of power as long as you know how to be in the right band at the right time.

Also, I had way more mechanical/electrical issues with the 335 then the M. This thing is bulletproof.
Thank you for feedback. Hopefully my experience will be good with the M3 as yours is. But that sucks man , i have had no mechanical/electrical issues so far with my 328.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody4332 View Post

Woody
Good to hear, I also feel like the M3 is more of a natural transition up from the 328 with both being NA with a linear power delivery. And the M4 is the step up from the 335 being both are turbo with a similar power delivery.

I'm planning to jump from my E93 328 to an E90 M3 in about two years once I'm out of medical school. But just how common is the rod bearing issue? On the forum it seems very common, but in real life is it more like 1% of cars? Would it be possible to buy an aftermarket engine warranty or something for peace of mind?

This is really my only concern going from my bulletproof N52 to the S65
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's not too big of a step in my opinion, I had an 09 335i e90 with a JB4 tune a few years ago. And while both cars perform well, the M3 e90 is simply a sharper feeling car. the M3 has stiffer suspension yet still comfortable (I'm on kw springs with edc), less body roll, quicker throttle response (since there is no turbos), quicker transmission (DCT vs auto). While my 335i had more power and low end torque, the M3 feels better balanced in terms of power delivery as there's no rush of power when turbos spool up, but instead with the M3 you get this ever lasting feel of the high RPMs and an engine note to match. I've been fortunate enough to have owned all of BMWs M cars, 10' E60M5 and 07' E63M6 and a Nissan GTR (700hp), and while all performed great the M3's DCT made it a better car for me in terms of comfort, sporty feel as traffic was no fun with SMG transmission jerkiness, as it would feel laggy at low speeds and just out right harsh in sport settings. Overall I love the M3, its practical having 4 doors, small enough to maintain that sporty feel, has enough power to still feel fun, and an engine note that is intoxicating every time you get on the gas. Going from a 328 to M3 will fell most notable difference in power, aside from that it will just feel like a more refined 3 series in terms of handling. But then again its all a matter of perspective and previous cars and driving experiences.

Last edited by stevelp99; 10-06-2015 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

From a 328 to a M3?! Ummmm......yes, it's a big step. You can't even compare those two cars in terms of performance.

I've driven 328s (coupes, verts, sedans) many times and can unequivocally say that even going from a 328 to a 335 is a large step, let alone an M3.

It's like u when you're in high school and decided one day you're going to stop playing Magic the Gathering and try out for the varsity football team. Yes, it's that big of a step young man.
      10-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
From a 328 to a M3?!
It's like u when you're in high school and decided one day you're going to stop playing Magic the Gathering and try out for the varsity football team. Yes, it's that big of a step young man.
I disagree. The 328 experience is more like Words with Friends and the M3 would be more akin to JV tennis. Or wait, Angry Birds and Varsity Golf. Mario Karts and Track?? Never mind...
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #16
mnwoodbutcher
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E9x and 330i

I have always been a fan of the M brand. The first one I attempted to buy was sold out from underneath me. That is life, but it was a 2001 M3 E46. I ended up in a E46 330i. Was and is a great car and still have it, but that bug for a M still existed if not got worse. I've acquired a M3 9x sedan and love it. The ride, the feel the responsiveness, the car will get more looks and bring more enjoyment than you would believe. Take the plunge. I'm still happy with the 330i, drive it regularly, but the M is an Ultimate Driving Machine
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I disagree. The 328 experience is more like Words with Friends and the M3 would be more akin to JV tennis. Or wait, Angry Birds and Varsity Golf. Mario Karts and Track?? Never mind...

nah more like chess club and physics club. Don't mess with physics club brah, they will tear you up!

There were no Angry Birds and Words with Friends in the 90s..it was called water ballon launcher and scrabble back then, and it required human beings actually interfacing with each other in person...werid huh?

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-06-2015 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

I have both (09 328i rwd 6mt, and 08 m3 6mt- both e90) and I can tell you theres a big difference in performance, but I find them both to be very nice. For daily driving the 328i is more then enough for 99 percent of the people.

While the m3 sits under a cover , the 328 gets driven daily and I can honestly say I enjoy it more then the m3. When I pull up in a gas station I don't have to have a conversation with everyone and I don't have everyone and their mother trying to race with the 328 either.

The biggest difference I think is the price in parts and maintenance =m tax
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR View Post
Is this a big step for someone to go onto? In a few years i am thinking about departing my 3 series and getting probably a e92 m3. I would like to know people who have or had the m3 and see what the pros and cons would be for owning a m3. I will most likely use it as a daily as well.
It seems that you currently drive a E90 328xi. I can tell you that the E92 M3 is much more expensive to buy and maintain, only has two doors, louder, rides much harsher, no AWD and absolutely guzzles gas. So if those factors are important to you in a car, you will absolutely not like the M3.
Appreciate 0