BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

6 speaker Stereo upgrade path?

I'm contemplating doing an upgrade on my OEM Base stereo system and am looking for some links or information to get me started. I am an old car stereo guy and have done hundreds of installs, but have had this car less than two weeks and am just getting to know it. My car has the base stereo with iDrive in it if that makes a difference.

What I am thinking of doing is swapping out all the existing speakers and adding tweeters in the front pillars, keeping everything in stock locations behind stock grills. Then wiring up a small subwoofer in the trunk. I have haven't decided if I will use the factory power, which in my case I believe is coming off the head unit or wire up one of two 4 channel amps I have from my old car (Hertz HCP-4D) for the front and the other for the sub. This configuration I know would give me the best sound, but I am trying to eliminate the process of trying to find space to mount everything so would prefer to go the oem amplification route..

So initially, I'm interested in doing a simple 3way upgrade in the front without having to add a bunch of extra components like amps and processors if that is possible.

What I'd like to know is the following:
  • Does the OEM head unit on this system have DSP which will need to be disabled or changed to get even an OEM upgrade system, sounding right? I've read that the base stereo system because it only uses 4" mid with no tweeters does some processing of the signal which needs to be defeated. Can this be done by having someone recode the car, or do I need to buy a DSP processor (i.e. JL Audio Clean sweep).
  • If I go the other route; obviously there are no RCA outputs in this car, but is their a suitable output to run to a LOC or amps with low level inputs? I'm assuming there is no external amp in the base stereo cars?

The simplest way to go would be to buy a matched or packaged speaker set with high efficiency speakers to run off the head unit then wire in a sub with its own amp. I know the base headunit power is low, but with a more efficient speaker I should be able to get ok sound.
  • Are there any examples of other 1addicts who've done stereos and posted their DIY with good photos that I can study?
  • Are there any plug and play wiring harnesses which I can buy to limit the amount of cutting I will have to do with my wires?
  • Where is the easiest place to tap into factory wiring to do all of this and not disturb the existing speakers sound?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but am just getting started and would appreciate some direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Some info off the top that might help:

Look up old posts here from "VP Electricity" and / or look at the site for a company called MusicarNW. You should find some links, info describing the system you have and suggestions on how to approach an upgrade. DSP (or lack of) will be mentioned.

People run LOC's, but many amps (i.e. some newer JL Audio) can do it directly and skip the step.

You'll find lots of other members have posted upgrade threads, just have to search for them.

Technics (maybe Technic) is a forum member that makes harnesses using OEM parts, they work well and he has a good reputation. Ping him over IM but be sure you do your research first and find out what you need. He has created threads about this and you'll find info in the other search mentioned above. He'll gladly sell you what you need but will be reluctant to answer questions you can answer on your own (I would too after years and years of PM's asking me the same things).

Often there is an amp in the left side of the trunk between the tail lights and wheel well. Not sure about your case, you'll have to see what you have, but for many systems an amp is located there. It's not too tough to get to and would be a good spot for an adapting harness. Again only if your car has an amp there - just FYI that many do. MusicarNW has a good Youtube video describing how to get to it, step by step so you don't bust any panel parts, you can search for that as well if (once again) you have an amp there.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Best bang for the buck is to get BMW's Alpine amp/speaker upgrade package for $400ish. You will need to have your HU coded afterwards though. You won't get much better sound with just a speaker upgrade. You need some power to move the speaker elements.

Name:  Alpine_Amp_image_28592_big.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  Alpine_1er tweeters.gif
Views: 1666
Size:  118.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

I'm about to have my Alpine upgrade kit up for sale in a few weeks if you're interested.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horigan View Post
I'm about to have my Alpine upgrade kit up for sale in a few weeks if you're interested.

Rich
I'd be interested in it if the OP doesn't jump on it. PM'd
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone on this forum had any luck getting in touch with Technics in the last few months? I am unable to send him PM's here, and have joined one of the other BMW forums for sole purpose of trying to communicate with him but need to get my post count up first. When I try to send from 1addict it says he can not receive pm's.

I'm trying to find out about the harness for base stereo and MB Quart Connectors? Which I think are for certain MB Quart Amps. Although I have my own amps like I said before am curious for space constraints in using one of the smaller powersport amps on market. I could make my own harness but figure if someone else has done the work it would be worth the money to use them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I'd be interested in Alpine setup if your deal with the other party falls through just for the amp and wiring alone... I could use/sell the speakers. In the meantime...

Has anyone on this forum had any luck getting in touch with Technics in the last few months? I am unable to send him PM's here, and have joined one of the other BMW forums for sole purpose of trying to communicate with him but need to get my post count up first. When I try to send from 1addict it says he can not receive pm's.

I'm trying to find out about the harness for base stereo and MB Quart Connectors? Which I think are for certain MB Quart Amps. Although I have my own amps like I said before am curious for space constraints in using one of the smaller powersport amps on market. I could make my own harness but figure if someone else has done the work it would be worth the money to use them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Best bang for the buck is to get BMW's Alpine amp/speaker upgrade package for $400ish. You will need to have your HU coded afterwards though. You won't get much better sound with just a speaker upgrade. You need some power to move the speaker elements.

Attachment 1328611

Attachment 1328610
So how does it work if you don't already have the tweeters by the mirrors?
      12-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I believe you have to purchase the left and right speaker grille - those are not included in the Alpine kit.

Part # 51337199597 and 51337199598
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
I believe you have to purchase the left and right speaker grille - those are not included in the Alpine kit.

Part # 51337199597 and 51337199598
So the wiring is there though?
      12-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Yep. The kit comes with two cross-overs. Plug the car speaker harness into one side and both the door speakers into the other side.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
The Alpine amp/speaker kit(~$400) has a (cross over)wiring harness for the tweeters. You have to buy the triangle pods for the tweeters separately though.

Checkout this thread...

Alpine Hi-Fi System kit
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327268
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #13
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
I'm contemplating doing an upgrade on my OEM Base stereo system and am looking for some links or information to get me started. I am an old car stereo guy and have done hundreds of installs, but have had this car less than two weeks and am just getting to know it. My car has the base stereo with iDrive in it if that makes a difference.

What I am thinking of doing is swapping out all the existing speakers and adding tweeters in the front pillars, keeping everything in stock locations behind stock grills. Then wiring up a small subwoofer in the trunk. I have haven't decided if I will use the factory power, which in my case I believe is coming off the head unit or wire up one of two 4 channel amps I have from my old car (Hertz HCP-4D) for the front and the other for the sub. This configuration I know would give me the best sound, but I am trying to eliminate the process of trying to find space to mount everything so would prefer to go the oem amplification route..

So initially, I'm interested in doing a simple 3way upgrade in the front without having to add a bunch of extra components like amps and processors if that is possible.

What I'd like to know is the following:
  • Does the OEM head unit on this system have DSP which will need to be disabled or changed to get even an OEM upgrade system, sounding right? I've read that the base stereo system because it only uses 4" mid with no tweeters does some processing of the signal which needs to be defeated. Can this be done by having someone recode the car, or do I need to buy a DSP processor (i.e. JL Audio Clean sweep).
  • If I go the other route; obviously there are no RCA outputs in this car, but is their a suitable output to run to a LOC or amps with low level inputs? I'm assuming there is no external amp in the base stereo cars?

The simplest way to go would be to buy a matched or packaged speaker set with high efficiency speakers to run off the head unit then wire in a sub with its own amp. I know the base headunit power is low, but with a more efficient speaker I should be able to get ok sound.
  • Are there any examples of other 1addicts who've done stereos and posted their DIY with good photos that I can study?
  • Are there any plug and play wiring harnesses which I can buy to limit the amount of cutting I will have to do with my wires?
  • Where is the easiest place to tap into factory wiring to do all of this and not disturb the existing speakers sound?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but am just getting started and would appreciate some direction.
You might want to check out Focal as an option. They have a plug and play set up called the Integration series for our cars. Below is a thread I started last year after getting the work done. Hope this helps.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067408

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

These arrived this week... I am hoping to get an install started and do a write-up very soon. Look for a complete build, coming soon.. and yes they will fit, with some custom work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0