BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Unhappy Angel Eyes Not Functioning At All After Coding in NFRM

Hey Everyone,

A couple of days ago I was coding in my NFRM to enable euro headlights (AHL2_enable to aktiv) and after I coded it in I lost all angel eye function. The angel eyes don't come on with welcome lights, DRL, or headlights (auto or manual). I've tried reversing the coding, rewriting the whole NFRM module to OE specs based on vehicle order, and even trying to reset the FRM via EDIABAS (not sure if I did tat correctly though). Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to try next to regain function of my angel eyes.

A little background that may help:
-The car is a 2008 E90 M3.
-My angel eyes are OE bulbs and always have been.
-I have no bulb out warnings at all.
-I have coded many other things in the past and haven't had issues so I don't think it's a coding issue but it definitely could be.
-I can't find any error information in INPA.
-I've checked all fuses in the off chance something blew but all fuses are OK.

If anyone has any insight or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
      12-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws
Hey Everyone,

A couple of days ago I was coding in my NFRM to enable euro headlights (AHL2_enable to aktiv) and after I coded it in I lost all angel eye function. The angel eyes don't come on with welcome lights, DRL, or headlights (auto or manual). I've tried reversing the coding, rewriting the whole NFRM module to OE specs based on vehicle order, and even trying to reset the FRM via EDIABAS (not sure if I did tat correctly though). Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to try next to regain function of my angel eyes.

A little background that may help:
-The car is a 2008 E90 M3.
-My angel eyes are OE bulbs and always have been.
-I have no bulb out warnings at all.
-I have coded many other things in the past and haven't had issues so I don't think it's a coding issue but it definitely could be.
-I can't find any error information in INPA.
-I've checked all fuses in the off chance something blew but all fuses are OK.

If anyone has any insight or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Did you use expert mode when you default coded the FRM? Also, double check to make sure the short circuit counter isn't the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I tried to code it back to stock using this procedure:

Quote:
1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E89 (for the E9X)
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the Module I want to Revert back to Stock.
10. F2->Choose "SG_Codieren->ok
11. F3->to start coding the ecu with factory settings according to the vehicle VO.
By short circuit counter you mean the procedure to reset in EDIABAS? I tried that and it didn't seem to change anything, although I could have done it wrong.
      12-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws
Yeah, I tried to code it back to stock using this procedure:

Quote:
1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E89 (for the E9X)
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the Module I want to Revert back to Stock.
10. F2->Choose "SG_Codieren->ok
11. F3->to start coding the ecu with factory settings according to the vehicle VO.
By short circuit counter you mean the procedure to reset in EDIABAS? I tried that and it didn't seem to change anything, although I could have done it wrong.
Using Tool32, it should have listed the amount of faults if there were any. Would also check voltage at the harness.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd try to compare your MAN file with a standard TRC you get off the net for an E90 M3 to see if any AE settings were changed by mistake. I managed to turn off some menu functions when coding the M3 for the first time. For some reason, the TRC file downloaded by ncs had different settings to what was already on the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunC View Post
I'd try to compare your MAN file with a standard TRC you get off the net for an E90 M3 to see if any AE settings were changed by mistake. I managed to turn off some menu functions when coding the M3 for the first time. For some reason, the TRC file downloaded by ncs had different settings to what was already on the car!
That is a great idea. You don't happen to have a TRC file or know where I can find one do you? I don't have any M3's local to me unfortunately. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Tim P
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6mt, '16 Tacoma TRD-OR

Dealing with this myself. Mine's an 08 with LCI tails coded by prev. owner (and ESS tune, not that ESS's alterations matter, but it's certainly a variable in this equation).

- I get right and left parking light bulb-out messages intermittently while stationary and driving.
- DRL and H8 AE bulbs all OEM and known-good. DRLs and AEs don't work at all when installed.
- Menu options for Welcome Lights and DRLs are present and their selection (or lack thereof) have no effect.
- Bixenons, adaptive function, turn signals all work 100%

Thinking my FRM needs to be coded to fix the issue.
e34 m52 swapped 5MT
e46 M3 6MT
e38 740i
e70 X5 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A guy has posted his TRC on this page: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-my-E90/page5

Or there is an E92 TRC here. http://pastebin.com/Mzdndj7y

Or the b m w coding. com (remove the spaces) forum has a whole section for requests and dumps but is a nightmare to navigate.

Whatever you do, don't go changing a load of options unless you are fairly sure and only ever code 1 module at a time!!

@Tim P, you need to get the cold and warm bulb checks on your rear lights coded out to stop the bulb out messages (I'm guessing this was not done). I'm not sure about the AE issues though!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Tim P
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunC View Post
@Tim P, you need to get the cold and warm bulb checks on your rear lights coded out to stop the bulb out messages (I'm guessing this was not done). I'm not sure about the AE issues though!
I believe those messages are for front parking lights, not rear. I'd have to check again when they pop up, but I'm pretty sure it's from the front.
e34 m52 swapped 5MT
e46 M3 6MT
e38 740i
e70 X5 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #10
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

***FIXED!***

I coded back to stock doing SG_CODIEREN (spelling?) using a blank .MAN file rather than doing FA_WRITE. I don't know why that worked but it did. I also updated DATEN files to the latest instead of V50.x (I forgot the exact version). That may have something to do with it but I can't imagine why. I have both a PRE and a POST TRC file saved so I'll examine them and try to find the difference for future reference.

Thanks for the whelp everyone!
      12-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Tim P
Private
United_States
Rep

Glad you got it working!

I found an old post by the PO of my car stating that he had the corner LEDs coded out by someone and then immediately began receiving parking light messages and AEs stopped working. Now I know that coding mistakes are the reason mine aren't working and I'm going to work to correct them.
e34 m52 swapped 5MT
e46 M3 6MT
e38 740i
e70 X5 3.0si
Appreciate 0