Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Does our car have auto notification for everything?

Meaning, will it tell me when oil change, coolant, tranny fluid, etc. all need to be changed?

I've assumed thats the case but now that I'm at around 6 to 7k miles, I want to know the facts.

Are oil changes every 10k miles or 1 year? And do I get a notification about this through he car?

If I was to do an oil change between intervals, what does BMW charge for one?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Meaning, will it tell me when oil change, coolant, tranny fluid, etc. all need to be changed?

I've assumed thats the case but now that I'm at around 6 to 7k miles, I want to know the facts.

Are oil changes every 10k miles or 1 year? And do I get a notification about this through he car?

Thanks
The Condition Based Service (CBS) system will notify when maintenance is required. The system uses an oil condition sensor as well as data about how the car is driven to determine when the oil needs to be changed. You can check on the maintenance schedule in the iDrive.

The coolant, transmission fluid, etc are all "lifetime" fluids. Per BMW these never need to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

My favorite one is when I brake while my cruise control is on. Then I have to acknowledge on my screen that my cruise control has turned off. Yeah no shit sherlock and no thanks for the reminder
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Like jwzimm said, "yes", but only for engine oil, brake pads and brake fluid.
Everything else is not covered under free (aka pre-paid) service plan, so the dealer will tell you that other consumables are "lifetime".
Few minor things are covered under pre-paid service plant, but you wont be alerted about them (wiper blades, etc).

Quote:

Sort of / yes.
Oil changes interval is somewhat varied depending on how much fuel consumption has been counted via the injectors, not just mileage. Aka Condition Based Service (CBS). I got mine after 8.9K miles. Track days helped to expedite this
You will get a prompt upon startup to call the dealer and schedule an oil change once service threshold is reached.

Quote:
This varies tremendously from dealer to dealer.
Since those are independent businesses, they charge what they feel the market will bear. I've heard of $60 as well as $210 oil changes. Call around your local area, and you will likely observe significant variation in quotes.

Make sure to remind the dealer NOT to reset the CBS counter, so that you can still collect a "free" oil change at the regular 10K/1 year interval.

a
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:27 AM   #5
Hrmm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

My dealer quoted $250 for an oil change on my M4. Yea...I passed on that one.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

They do have notification for everything. Every time I get in my car, it "dings" and that navigation voice comes on saying, "You are not worthy to be driving this car."
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

: