BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Should I repair total loss E93?

I currently have an E60 (wife's). Never driven an M or sat in one.

I have an opportunity to repair this E93. Entire right side damaged. Both front suspensions and rear right suspension damaged.

This was a total loss hence salvage. Will result in a rebuilt title if repaired.

2010, vert, 46k miles, has DCT, Nav, MDrive.

I have read a lot about expensive throttle actuators going bad and rod bearing failures. I am concerned about that. Don't know what other common problems I may encounter. Should I be concerned about the top open/close mechanism?

I am not 100% sure I should rebuild. I don't know any body shops in Atlanta. What would this be worth after repairs?

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

70% chance there is damage on not visible parts and on a E93 it's even worse .
Advice => Personal I would never do it ! !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 01-23-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Pass
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Looks like a glancing blow. Might be worth it to remove door fender and wheels to get a look at the damage below.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
I'd pass.
      01-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
70% change there is damage on not visible parts and on a E93 it's even worse .
Advice => Personal I would never do it ! !
Are you thinking structural damage? Like frame damage or unibody damage? Given it looks like it was side swiped and probably ran off the road I was hoping there would not be any major structural damage. Maybe low frame machine time. Wishful thinking...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
njdrive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirAtl View Post

I have an opportunity to repair this E93. Entire right side damaged. Both front suspensions and rear right suspension damaged.

This was a total loss hence salvage. Will result in a rebuilt title if repaired.

I have read a lot about expensive throttle actuators going bad and rod bearing failures. I am concerned about that. Don't know what other common problems I may encounter. Should I be concerned about the top open/close mechanism?

I am not 100% sure I should rebuild. I don't know any body shops in Atlanta. What would this be worth after repairs?

Pass on this one. It probably has frame damage.
If you've never drive an M, I would not recommend starting with one that was totaled and has a wrecked front and rear suspension. I'm guessing, the amount you will spend on repairing it correctly will be close or equal to buying one with about 10k more mile. You asked what will will it be worth after repairs, I can't imagine any where near to a clean titled comp. because it will have a totaled title so don't expect to make a profit after repairs unless you sell it to a high schooler. Good luck.
      01-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Save up and get one in better condition.
Sometimes patience is the key.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Even if someone gave me that car for free I would not want it. E93 can be had for cheap, especially an 08. I'd rather have a clean higher mileage 08 than this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

2 layers of Opti Coat, you'll be fine...
Appreciate 3
Flying Ace4987.00
      01-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz
Looks like a glancing blow. Might be worth it to remove door fender and wheels to get a look at the damage below.
Will have to find a body shop to do a tear down and give me an estimate based on actual damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I think you're putting the cart before the horse if you're worried about rod bearings and throttle actuators. Chances are those are just fine. You need to be more worried about the frame, DCT, differential and 3 piece roof first.

Can can be repaired but the price of the car plus repair costs needs to be considerably low if you want to fix it without getting into good used car pricing.

Resale will be very low considering it'll be a salvage.. you'll probably be very lucky breaking even
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdrive
Quote:

Pass on this one. It probably has frame damage.
If you've never drive an M, I would not recommend starting with one that was totaled and has a wrecked front and rear suspension. I'm guessing, the amount you will spend on repairing it correctly will be close or equal to buying one with about 10k more mile. You asked what will will it be worth after repairs, I can't imagine any where near to a clean titled comp. because it will have a totaled title so don't expect to make a profit after repairs unless you sell it to a high schooler. Good luck.
If I end up repairing this I am not looking to sell any time soon, and certainly not for any profit down the road. Most buyers don't want to touch rebuilt vehicles and I completely understand why. I was trying to figure out at what price off retail would it be worth considering. I see similar E93s around $30K+. Hypothetically speaking, if this ended up costing me $20K is that good enough savings to consider the repair effort? Of course this assumes it it repaired correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
I think you're putting the cart before the horse if you're worried about rod bearings and throttle actuators. Chances are those are just fine. You need to be more worried about the frame, DCT, differential and 3 piece roof first.

Can can be repaired but the price of the car plus repair costs needs to be considerably low if you want to fix it without getting into good used car pricing.

Resale will be very low considering it'll be a salvage.. you'll probably be very lucky breaking even
I'm not a sports car fanatic and have never considered an M before. Of course I would love to own one. Most likely I won't go out and buy an M for various reasons, financial being the biggest. I came across this and thought If I can get into a correctly rebuilt M for a great price, that would be great. Don't care about resale. Last car I had I kept for 16 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #15
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I wouldn't waste my time... Any slight frame damage or frame pull on either side... The roof would never line up properly... Then you're dealing with future leaks, electrical problems etc...
Just my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Are you thinking structural damage? Like frame damage or unibody damage? Given it looks like it was side swiped and probably ran off the road I was hoping there would not be any major structural damage. Maybe low frame machine time. Wishful thinking...
Look...One of my best friends has a body shop only for Mercs , Porsche, Bmw, and Audi .
And I can tell you he has the nessesary knowledge for our cars , and so I saw serious BMW's damage in his shop in the last 15 years .
So I showed him your pics and he said ...///M3-E93 ? Oughhh !
Repare is always possible these days , but a E93 and if something is bent there is always a chance for wind noises inside cabin .
As for frame damage...Our ///M cars are very sensitive for steering wheel vibrations and when it's not fixed in perfection with the specific tools there will be extreme tire wear and probably the car will always pull to one side of the road .
And please don't forget about the value of the car...Even repared in perfection your car is/was a "total-loss" wich means "huge value loss" !
In short....Think twice

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #17
NashvegasR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F83

Oof. I'd not repair that. . Does the top operate smoothly now? (could be a good indicator of frame damage if *not*)

Go buy my old E93 at United Roswell. It's there. 2009. Silver.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
If it was a coupe it might make a good track car. $20k seems high for salvage. Engine and DCT might be worth $10k if unharmed.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Will have to find a body shop to do a tear down and give me an estimate based on actual damage.
Aamir, based on what you wrote anyone with decent automotive experience can tell you that you are blinded by the idea of having a M logo car and choosing the worst possible path that will waste you time and money (even if you are getting "this" for $10k). It's easy to read between the lines that you have no clue what you are contemplating. The first thing i looked at in your post is any mention of "resale value", and there is, it means you are fooling yourself. Second, it's a wrecked convertible, that's upping the ante. But what you are probably most unaware of, is that high end car have expensive parts everywhere around the car, especially bmw. It adds up very quickly even for parts that seem insignificant to you and this is not just about replacing damaged parts, it's much much more. The final nail on the coffin is that with some patience you could probably find a 08 M3 with higher mileage for not that much more than the total cost of giving a new life to this wreck . When it's all said and done you are probably looking at $15k++ $20k ON TOP of buying this wreck.

Sorry but sounds like you do not have the financial ressources to own any degree of used M car. Maybe an E46 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

That differential looks bent and some of the bracing sheared off.....Assuming if diff is ok, just by visual inspection of the damage you can see how much the obviously needed replacement (and discounted) OEM parts are online, and it will add up very quickly....definitely stay away as you won't come out ahead financially and if you consider the opportunity cost of time/labor, makes even less sense. A part out may be a way to make a very modest amount of money at best, but again, is time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

if you will track it and not worry about resale and the price is low enough do it.

most people on here (as you can see) can't even wrap their minds around a crashed car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #22
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
Quote:
Aamir, based on what you wrote anyone with decent automotive experience can tell you that you are blinded by the idea of having a M logo car and choosing the worst possible path that will waste you time and money (even if you are getting "this" for $10k). It's easy to read between the lines that you have no clue what you are contemplating. The first thing i looked at in your post is any mention of "resale value", and there is, it means you are fooling yourself. Second, it's a wrecked convertible, that's upping the ante. But what you are probably most unaware of, is that high end car have expensive parts everywhere around the car, especially bmw. It adds up very quickly even for parts that seem insignificant to you and this is not just about replacing damaged parts, it's much much more. The final nail on the coffin is that with some patience you could probably find a 08 M3 with higher mileage for not that much more than the total cost of giving a new life to this wreck . When it's all said and done you are probably looking at $15k++ $20k ON TOP of buying this wreck.

Sorry but sounds like you do not have the financial ressources to own any degree of used M car. Maybe an E46 ?
You have inferred correctly. I am no automotive expert, I am not a DIY guy (unfortunately), and I am infatuated with the idea of being able to get into an M.

I do have access to recycled parts nationwide, however, M parts are in short supply and expensive. I think all you enthusiasts horde extra parts

You are also correct I cannot spend $30k on an extra toy.
Appreciate 0