BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
MJX5
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Front Rear Dash Cam

Hello all!

Wanted to get some ideas from the group. I am looking for something fairly easy to install (I am not a gear head). High quality day video and night could be mid level. I want something that is automatic.. Just set it 1 time and let it roll.

I saw these reviews....
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/5-...ams-2015-2016/

I heard the Blackview has issues with video in motion. Not sure of the rest or anything new released.

The most technical thing I have done so far on my 2015 X5 is to use a powertap off the rear view mirror for my radar detector! So simple install would be best
I am guessing we cant use our existing cameras built into the car already. (and they may not be the best for this anyways)

Looking for a Front Rear Dash cam. No drilling. Thinking I can use the cigarette lighter for the back seat for power maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJX5
Hello all!

Wanted to get some ideas from the group. I am looking for something fairly easy to install (I am not a gear head). High quality day video and night could be mid level. I want something that is automatic.. Just set it 1 time and let it roll.

I saw these reviews....
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/5-...ams-2015-2016/

I heard the Blackview has issues with video in motion. Not sure of the rest or anything new released.

The most technical thing I have done so far on my 2015 X5 is to use a powertap off the rear view mirror for my radar detector! So simple install would be best
I am guessing we cant use our existing cameras built into the car already. (and they may not be the best for this anyways)

Looking for a Front Rear Dash cam. No drilling. Thinking I can use the cigarette lighter for the back seat for power maybe?
There's 12v power in the cargo area
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

MJX5 , Follow my DIY. No drilling required.
Also, I never had issue with my BlackVue DR650GW.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

I also have a Blackvue and no issues. Also followed r33_RGSport's DIY instructions as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

Look at my post on IROAD V9. Maybe a good fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #6
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Had SA install a BMW Advanced Eye front & back, asked them to just preposition front camera on windscreen with weak double face tape.

Painted matt black all the chrome parts on front camera to reduce reflections on windscreen and external camera visibility.

Then searched the best position for the front camera behind the rear view mirror, seeking a minimum visual intrusion (see photo from driver's perspective) while allowing enough rear mirror position freedom; it took a while, because the optimum spot is quite narrow, and fixed the camera with the strong supplied double face tape.

Finally, repositioned its small GPS antenna 10" left against top of windscreen frame, invisible to driver; when the antenna was too near to the camera it was not functioning.

Now it all works as advertised; the supplied PC viewing software is adequate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Upurock47.00