BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
In the midst of doing research on a coilovers that best meets my need. There's definitely a lot of information out there...

This would be for my daily driven E92 with the occasional mountain run (3-4 year) and track day (2-3 year).

I'm running a square set of Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 with Michelin PSS 275/35/18 tires. The rears have a 10mm spacer and I do NOT want to run a spacer in the front to clear any coilover spring perches, etc.

So, this rules out KW systems. I've gathered that there are options from JRZ, TCK, Ohlins R&T, and MCS that wouldn't require a front spacer with my wheel/tire setup. Am I missing anything?

Street comfort is a top priority for me. I know that track performance would be the trade-off. My consensus is that the Ohlins R&T would be the best fit. Would have been nice to keep it under $2k and the Ohlins seem to be above that.

Is there a better option?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Both Ohlins and JRZ are high quality, our recommendation though would be the JRZ for your daily commute. This is something that we recommend to all of our customers and install on our track prepped cars as well as our personal cars. Ride quality is superb.

We offer both Ohlins and JRZ's and would be more than happy to set up options for you. Both these coilovers will go over $2k but we can do a swift spring setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by info@trinityautosport
Both Ohlins and JRZ are high quality, our recommendation though would be the JRZ for your daily commute. This is something that we recommend to all of our customers and install on our track prepped cars as well as our personal cars. Ride quality is superb.

We offer both Ohlins and JRZ's and would be more than happy to set up options for you. Both these coilovers will go over $2k but we can do a swift spring setup.
Thanks for the response. Which particular model of JRZ would be preferable in my situation? What difference does using Swift springs provide?
      02-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Thanks for the response. Which particular model of JRZ would be preferable in my situation? What difference does using Swift springs provide?
PM'd with further details.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

TCKline D/As would work as well. Love the kit, the springs are pretty soft (350 F/ 600 R) with excellent ride quality, yet will make car extremely fast. TC's own E90 M3 is doing 1:39s at Laguna Seca with Hoosiers and the D/A kit and pads with no other mods. Stiffer springs in their research were shown not to be faster on the track. My understanding is that it has great clearance (you can contact them to find out), but you're looking at $3+k.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
I'm running a square set of Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 with Michelin PSS 275/35/18 tires. The rears have a 10mm spacer and I do NOT want to run a spacer in the front to clear any coilover spring perches, etc.

So, this rules out KW systems.
I'm running a very similar wheel setup, Arc-8, not Ec-7, but don't have any problem with clearance on the coilovers on my KW V3's. I'm sure others have as well without issue... I'm even running some camber, which I would think would make clearance worse. For what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by info@trinityautosport View Post
PM'd with further details.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
I'm running a very similar wheel setup, Arc-8, not Ec-7, but don't have any problem with clearance on the coilovers on my KW V3's. I'm sure others have as well without issue... I'm even running some camber, which I would think would make clearance worse. For what it's worth.
That's interesting. In almost all cases I've read that there is clearance issues. Did you raise the perch for clearance? Good to hear that you haven't ran into issues though!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't raise the perch, but I am running linear springs in the front. I didn't ever have the stock springs, so I don't know how they would have worked.

Coincidentally, I am switching to MCS, wanted a stiffer spring. If you can swing it, they are supposed to be a great setup. If not, you can buy my old setup when it comes off in a month..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

If you have EDC you should look into the bilstein B16 damptronic.

Great comfort on the street and felt great on the track at my last hpde. It allows for all the EDC settings because it plugs into the system.

I've got mine matched with GC camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
I didn't raise the perch, but I am running linear springs in the front. I didn't ever have the stock springs, so I don't know how they would have worked.

Coincidentally, I am switching to MCS, wanted a stiffer spring. If you can swing it, they are supposed to be a great setup. If not, you can buy my old setup when it comes off in a month..
Very nice, MCS seem to be recommended for a higher end coilover too. How was the ride quality on the street in the KW V3? I live in the city and the roads are horrid.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
If you have EDC you should look into the bilstein B16 damptronic.

Great comfort on the street and felt great on the track at my last hpde. It allows for all the EDC settings because it plugs into the system.

I've got mine matched with GC camber plates.
I don't have EDC, but would definitely consider the Bilstein's if I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

In my opinion, there's nothing that 2-3 track days a year can throw at the car that the STOCK suspension can't handle.

The real question is, if there's $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, what do you want to get...Because judging from your desired usage, the OEM suspension is the best all around compromise. If you can't have a metric @ss ton of fun with a handful of mountain road days and 2-3 track days, then there's something wrong with the car, and there in lies a much bigger issue.

In my opinion.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #14
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very nice, MCS seem to be recommended for a higher end coilover too. How was the ride quality on the street in the KW V3? I live in the city and the roads are horrid.
The roads are ok here. I ran with the rebound and compression pretty much maxed. It was ok. It all depends on your tolerance level. I didn't find it much worse than stock (but I can't really remember what that feels like anymore).
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #15
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In my opinion, there's nothing that 2-3 track days a year can throw at the car that the STOCK suspension can't handle.

The real question is, if there's $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, what do you want to get...Because judging from your desired usage, the OEM suspension is the best all around compromise. If you can't have a metric @ss ton of fun with a handful of mountain road days and 2-3 track days, then there's something wrong with the car, and there in lies a much bigger issue.

In my opinion.
I can appreciate this logical response!

It maybe fair to say that most of us on this forum look for reasons to spend our hard earned dollars on car parts.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Quote:
In the midst of doing research on a coilovers that best meets my need. There's definitely a lot of information out there...

This would be for my daily driven E92 with the occasional mountain run (3-4 year) and track day (2-3 year).

So, this rules out KW systems. I've gathered that there are options from JRZ, TCK, Ohlins R&T, and MCS that wouldn't require a front spacer with my wheel/tire setup. Am I missing anything?

Street comfort is a top priority for me. I know that track performance would be the trade-off. My consensus is that the Ohlins R&T would be the best fit. Would have been nice to keep it under $2k and the Ohlins seem to be above that.

Is there a better option?

Thanks
Your best bet is the Ohlins R&T. They would do everything you need and be the most reliable/durable.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Nothing wrong with having what you want, it is after all your money. But if you're only doing a couple track days a year with horrible roads on the daily grind, you should look into things that won't adversely affect your comfort levels while giving you extra fun on the track.

My suggestion would be to get stickier tires (RS3, AD08R, RE71R, RivalS) and a nice set of front camber plates and a nice alignment afterwards. You will be amazed at the difference in handling performance while maintaining your stock dampers/springs comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Im curious if there is a suspension set-up that has EDC? I have a non-EDC car, and I want something superior to the stock EDC set-up. My previous '12 M3 had EDC, and whilst I appreciated the adjustability, I felt the damping could be improved upon. My car is a DD, exclusively for non-track scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

In my opinion.
I agree that the stock suspension is an excellent compromise. But I still find it too softly sprung for my taste (rebound is great). In hard or quick cornering there is more roll than I am used to. It can be unnerving sometimes.

Can a good set of springs with ZCP suspension give me less roll and retain the stock height and ride (more or less)?

The soft springs are the only thing I don't like about ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #20
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash
Im curious if there is a suspension set-up that has EDC? I have a non-EDC car, and I want something superior to the stock EDC set-up. My previous '12 M3 had EDC, and whilst I appreciated the adjustability, I felt the damping could be improved upon. My car is a DD, exclusively for non-track scenarios.
Check out the KW DDC kit. It has 3 preset suspension settings all selectable via a button you mount in your preferred location. They also offer a WLAN module and an app that allows you to adjust it on the fly via an iPhone, iPod or iPad. It's pretty slick but comes with a price that's pretty steep.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Check out the KW DDC kit. It has 3 preset suspension settings all selectable via a button you mount in your preferred location. They also offer a WLAN module and an app that allows you to adjust it on the fly via an iPhone, iPod or iPad. It's pretty slick but comes with a price that's pretty steep.

Thanks. I did look at that kit. It's based off their V3 kit and adds mobile EDC. I'm not sure if it is superior to the stock EDC system. I wonder if anyone has insight, or know of better EDC enabled aftermarket coilovers for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #22
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

TCKline and Ground control make 'Coilover conversion kits' compatible with EDC. They basically include stiffer springs and camber plates.