BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
husks002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, 981 GT4

Advice Needed: Valet destroyed front lip

Hi,

Long story short a valet destroyed my ModeCarbon GTS front lip (about 20% of it completely missing) which I had painted matte black by a body shop. The actual bumper looks like it is in good shape but will need to take off the lip to determine if there was any damage.

The valet company was very nice and acknowledged what they did. They called yesterday to request I bring in my car to get fixed but want me to bring the car to a non BMW body shop (Lexus dealer) to get the damage fixed.

How would you recommend I proceed? The Lexus dealer likely won't know where to get the front lip and I don't want them to try and repair the carbon of course. Can I just take it to somewhere like EAS and have them handle? Can I request I take it to my own shops? Ideally I would just have them purchase the front spoiler and have it painted matte black at a body shop and installed for me.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
rmcard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (AW/ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by husks002 View Post
Hi,

Long story short a valet destroyed my ModeCarbon GTS front lip (about 20% of it completely missing) which I had painted matte black by a body shop. The actual bumper looks like it is in good shape but will need to take off the lip to determine if there was any damage.

The valet company was very nice and acknowledged what they did. They called yesterday to request I bring in my car to get fixed but want me to bring the car to a non BMW body shop (Lexus dealer) to get the damage fixed.

How would you recommend I proceed? The Lexus dealer likely won't know where to get the front lip and I don't want them to try and repair the carbon of course. Can I just take it to somewhere like EAS and have them handle? Can I request I take it to my own shops? Ideally I would just have them purchase the front spoiler and have it painted matte black at a body shop and installed for me.

Thanks in advance!
If it were me I'd get an estimate for a new lip (maybe from a couple of places) and bring it to the valet company and get them to cut a check. They messed up, they shouldn't get to dictate terms to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

I would call the Lexus dealership and ask about this procedures. Maybe they would replace it it's the same kind. If not you can always sprain the situation to the valet company and request to take it where you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
This should be a matter for you to handle with the valet's insurance, not the valet company itself. As of now their preferences are completely invalid. If you want your car taken where you like you need to fight it out with their insurance. I'm not sure who it is but it shouldn't be that difficult seeing as you have the leverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

I would give them a chance to fix it. Stuff happens. They're being courteous so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E
This should be a matter for you to handle with the valet's insurance, not the valet company itself. As of now their preferences are completely invalid. If you want your car taken where you like you need to fight it out with their insurance. I'm not sure who it is but it shouldn't be that difficult seeing as you have the leverage.
I don't think he should even have to deal with their insurance company. He could work with his own insurance and THEY could work with the valet's insurance, unless of course the OP wants to avoid getting his own insurance involved especially over an aftermarket part.

I agree that the valet company shouldn't get to dictate terms here and the estimates option sounds good to me, but not having investigated aftermarket lips myself, would a well-rated Lexus dealer have a much harder time installing one than a BMW dealer? In any case, if they're being overall forthright, the best course is to stay courteous with them as long as possible. People who blow a gasket early on seldom if ever end up with a better outcome for having done so compared to those who keep cool.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
husks002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I don't think he should even have to deal with their insurance company. He could work with his own insurance and THEY could work with the valet's insurance, unless of course the OP wants to avoid getting his own insurance involved especially over an aftermarket part.

I agree that the valet company shouldn't get to dictate terms here and the estimates option sounds good to me, but not having investigated aftermarket lips myself, would a well-rated Lexus dealer have a much harder time installing one than a BMW dealer? In any case, if they're being overall forthright, the best course is to stay courteous with them as long as possible. People who blow a gasket early on seldom if ever end up with a better outcome for having done so compared to those who keep cool.
Absolutely agree and the same thoughts I have on this situation.

Thank you all for your feedback and input. I am going to let the Lexus dealer look at it and have a discussion with them, as well as get my own estimate and take that to the Valet company.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
rmcard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (AW/ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by husks002 View Post
Absolutely agree and the same thoughts I have on this situation.

Thank you all for your feedback and input. I am going to let the Lexus dealer look at it and have a discussion with them, as well as get my own estimate and take that to the Valet company.
I suspect the valet company wants to handle it without going through their insurance or your insurance and they likely have a bulk deal with the Lexus dealer. If you're ok with a Lexus dealer handling it, then it seems like a win-win. If you want your own shop to do it, get an estimate and have them cut you a check. If there is a disagreement about how much it should cost, you can always put an insurance claim through, but why not handle outside of insurance if you can...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
husks002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcard View Post
I suspect the valet company wants to handle it without going through their insurance or your insurance and they likely have a bulk deal with the Lexus dealer. If you're ok with a Lexus dealer handling it, then it seems like a win-win. If you want your own shop to do it, get an estimate and have them cut you a check. If there is a disagreement about how much it should cost, you can always put an insurance claim through, but why not handle outside of insurance if you can...
Absolutely agree on all points. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

That is why when I valet my M3 I typically tip $10 or more and I point out the front lip, the lowered ride height, and rims... at that point they leave it in front of the establishment right where I left it.

The Valet guys are typically really super appreciative of an upfront $10 tip. Especially when the guy ahead of you with a Ferrari only tips $1.

If I'm in my wife's VW CC and valet I tip $1 or $2 and they can park it wherever they want.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would never let them tell me where to take my car. I choose the body shop, not the party at fault.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Have them pay for a new lip and have them paint the lip the way you wanted it or had it from the start.

I'd bring the car to a shop that you prefer since they caused the damage in the first place.
Also i don't think it's being harsh or disrespectful. They damaged the lip and they should pay for it the way you want it/or had it.

Good luck

Or take the $1,500.00 Cash and do it yourself to make things less complicated.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
I never let strangers (or friends for that matter) drive my M3. Cold temp over-revving can't be good for those rod bearings. A quick joy ride does not allow time for full warm-up. If you take it to the Lexus dealer be sure to let them know not to drive the car. Let them see you writing down the mileage.

Sorry about your front lip. You're lucky the Valet company accepted responsibility.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0