BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Thekhwaj
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Mysterious Metal In Oil and Filter

Hey Guys,

I wanted to make this post to see if you had any opinions on my situation, and what I should do. I love my 2012 E92 M3, and enjoyed driving it everyday, until about 6 weeks ago. Once I crossed over 23k miles I started hearing this ticking/knocking sound coming when I was at a stop at idle, and when I was at low revs. I wasn't sure what it was so since I was covered under factory warranty I took it to my local service center, they said they found metal in the oil and the filters most likely due to the bearings. I decided since they wouldn't give me a loaner car, and were rude to take it to another service center. I took it to another SC, and the same thing was found (metal in oil/filter). At this time they started a PUMA case... that took 5 weeks. For 5 weeks they had my car on a lift and took it apart one piece at a time per BMW request. needless to say this was extremely frustrating to me. Throughout the process from the very beginning the service advisor and manager kept saying the only way to fix this would be a new engine, and that is what they were really pushing for. I mean 5 weeks is just ridiculous it should've been done in a 2-3 weeks max. Anyways the bearing looked fine, THERE WASN'T ANY WEAR ON THE BEARINGS. neither the rod bearing or the main bearings which was surprising since thats what usually seems to cause issues. Anyways it was stated that no damage was found in my engine, and that after 5 weeks BMW NA was just approving new bearings as a preventative measure and nothing more, oh yeah and to do that it would take another 3 weeks (order and put engine back together), talk about torture right? So basically I'm stuck with this engine that might not be fixed, there could be metal residue in there, and on top of that no compensation from BMW. I Called customer relations multiple times with no call back or answer. They did send a $5 car charger even though my cars on a lift

So what could it be? should I just wait the 3 weeks, have new bearings, forget this ever happened and enjoy the car. Or do you think there will still be metal in the oil and filter happening. Anyone else experience this problem? I mean where could the metal have come from...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Just wait the 3 weeks and be happy you aren't paying for it. Engine replacement is well into the 5 digits.

Sorry to hear about it, but it's hard to say what the issue is.
      03-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Keep us posted.
How did the camshafts look?
Did they analyze the metal? Was it steel or aluminum ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Thekhwaj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Just wait the 3 weeks and be happy you aren't paying for it. Engine replacement is well into the 5 digits.

Sorry to hear about it, but it's hard to say what the issue is.
That's what I was thinking as well, it's just after I get my car back the warranty will be over the next month (may). So if the issue gets worse I don't want to have to pay out of pocket if the issue happened while under warranty, since anything that goes wrong is so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Thekhwaj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy
Keep us posted.
How did the camshafts look?
Did they analyze the metal? Was it steel or aluminum ?
From what my SA has told me I don't believe they analyzed the metal, but they state they checked the engine and couldn't find any wear. He didn't seem to have answers to my questions making it a little sketchy plus I never got to speak to the tech working on it either which I wish I could've...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
mj157681
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 JZB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekhwaj View Post
Hey Guys,

I wanted to make this post to see if you had any opinions on my situation, and what I should do. I love my 2012 E92 M3, and enjoyed driving it everyday, until about 6 weeks ago. Once I crossed over 23k miles I started hearing this ticking/knocking sound coming when I was at a stop at idle, and when I was at low revs. I wasn't sure what it was so since I was covered under factory warranty I took it to my local service center, they said they found metal in the oil and the filters most likely due to the bearings. I decided since they wouldn't give me a loaner car, and were rude to take it to another service center. I took it to another SC, and the same thing was found (metal in oil/filter). At this time they started a PUMA case... that took 5 weeks. For 5 weeks they had my car on a lift and took it apart one piece at a time per BMW request. needless to say this was extremely frustrating to me. Throughout the process from the very beginning the service advisor and manager kept saying the only way to fix this would be a new engine, and that is what they were really pushing for. I mean 5 weeks is just ridiculous it should've been done in a 2-3 weeks max. Anyways the bearing looked fine, THERE WASN'T ANY WEAR ON THE BEARINGS. neither the rod bearing or the main bearings which was surprising since thats what usually seems to cause issues. Anyways it was stated that no damage was found in my engine, and that after 5 weeks BMW NA was just approving new bearings as a preventative measure and nothing more, oh yeah and to do that it would take another 3 weeks (order and put engine back together), talk about torture right? So basically I'm stuck with this engine that might not be fixed, there could be metal residue in there, and on top of that no compensation from BMW. I Called customer relations multiple times with no call back or answer. They did send a $5 car charger even though my cars on a lift

So what could it be? should I just wait the 3 weeks, have new bearings, forget this ever happened and enjoy the car. Or do you think there will still be metal in the oil and filter happening. Anyone else experience this problem? I mean where could the metal have come from...

Thanks
At 23k miles?? Sorry about your situation and hopefully your engine is ok. I am at 38k miles and have this ticking noise. Not sure if its related to RB but I am taking it to the dealership today.

In you situation I would wait 3 weeks and get it with new bearings with something in writing from BMW or your dealership that if something major does happen after your warranty expires then they will take responsibility as the issue is related...something along those lines.

BTW Was the noise in your car like this:

or more metallic?

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Thekhwaj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj157681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekhwaj View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks
At 23k miles?? Sorry about your situation and hopefully your engine is ok. I am at 38k miles and have this ticking noise. Not sure if its related to RB but I am taking it to the dealership today.

In you situation I would wait 3 weeks and get it with new bearings with something in writing from BMW or your dealership that if something major does happen after your warranty expires then they will take responsibility as the issue is related...something along those lines.

BTW Was the noise in your car like this:

or more metallic?

Keep us posted.
That is a very similar sound to what I had. I had that same ticking sound happening kind of irregular ticking/knocking. I'll try sending you a video of mine that I recorded. I'm not sure if you have the same issue as mine, but it would be good to get it checked out, keep me posted on what the dealership says in term of metal found in oil or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Metal in the filter sound bad. So what will they do to flush the engine completely, if at all possible? Obviously save all communication/mail and make detailed notes on calls with the shop.

Good luck mate
Appreciate 0