BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Takata Airbag Recall

I didn't see this posted but some of you will be getting a recall letter from BMW very soon. Letters to be mailed out next week and continued to be until the first week of April. If you would like to see if your car is affected, contacted your service center and have them look up your VIN.

Safety Recall 16V-071(Drivers Front Air Bag Module)

Included are approximately 840,000 vehicles, with approximate volumes and production dates as noted below.

Series Model Model Year Approx. Volume Production Dates
E82 1 Series Coupe (incl. M) 2008 – 2013 32,620 Nov 2007 – Oct 2013
E88 1 Series Convertible 2008 – 2013 28,160 Nov 2007 – Oct 2013
E90 3 Series Sedan (incl. M) 2006 – 2011 132,845 Feb 2005 – Dec 2011
E90 3 Series Sedan (diesel) 2009 – 2011 4,160 Mar 2008 – Aug 2011
E91 3 Series Sports Wagon 2006 – 2012 3,270 Jun 2005 – May 2012
E92 3 Series Coupe (incl. M) 2007 – 2013 129,515 Apr 2006 – Jun 2013
E93 3 Series Convertible (incl. M) 2007 – 2013 99,810 Nov 2006 – Oct 2013

Q2. BMW conducted safety recalls in 2013, 2014 and 2015 on a similar issue. How is this different?
The inflators are different. This recall campaign pertains to the Takata PSDI-5 inflator. The earlier recalls pertained to different inflators produced by Takata.

Q3. Are BMW M models included in this recall campaign?
Yes. [Please refer to Q1.]

Q4. Is this recall comparable to similar recalls being conducted by other Manufacturers?
Yes. This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-5 inflator.

Q5. How many BMW vehicles in the US are included in this Safety Recall?
The number of BMW vehicles in the US included in this recall is approximately 840,000.

Q6. Why are other models not included?
Other models are not included because this recall pertains specifically to vehicles equipped with the Takata PSDI-5 inflator.
BMW 1 Series, 3 Series X1 SAV, X3 SAV, X5 SAV and X6 SAC
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Driver-Side Front Air Bag Module
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 2 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q7. What is the specific concern?
Takata’s investigation to date indicates that, due to exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity), this could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.

Q8. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a crash where air bag system deployment occurs, the air bag inflator housing may rupture. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.

Q9. Is there a possibility to find out whether the problem exists in my car?
No. There is no way to detect if your BMW might have an air bag inflator potentially at risk of rupturing upon deployment in an accident.

Q10. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. BMW is not aware of a ruptured inflator in any of its vehicles associated with this recall. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this service performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.

Q11. What measures will be taken?
The driver-side front air bag module will be replaced.

Q12. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue from Takata (the air bag module supplier) and NHTSA.

Q13. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries involving BMW vehicles associated with this campaign?
No. BMW is not aware of a ruptured inflator in any of its vehicles associated with this recall.

Q14. How will I be informed of this recall program?
If your vehicle is affected, you will receive an initial letter in March via First Class mail advising you of this recall. You should receive an additional letter when replacement parts become available, requesting that you schedule an appointment to bring your vehicle to an authorized BMW center for service and repair.
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 3 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q15. NHTSA has encouraged all owners to get their affected air bags replaced as soon as replacement parts are available. What is BMW’s position?
BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator to allow this safety recall to proceed as soon as possible.

Q16. Will my BMW center deactivate my driver-side front air bag until it is replaced?
BMW is not of the opinion that a deactivation of the driver-side front air bag system is necessary.

Q17. How will this program be performed?
When you are notified via the final letter, you will be asked to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center who will order the replacement driver-side front air bag module for your vehicle prior to your appointment.

Q18. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take approximately two hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q19. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing this program to ensure that the necessary parts, tools and procedures are available to its authorized BMW centers, prior to instructing you to take your vehicle in for repair.

Q20. Am I eligible for reimbursement under the TREAD Act if I previously replaced my driver-side front air bag module?
In this particular recall, reimbursement is likely not applicable, as you would typically have replaced your driver-side front air bag module as a result of an accident. In that situation, either your insurance company paid for the repair, or you paid “out-of-pocket”.
However, in the very unusual (unlikely) scenario that you previously replaced the driver-side front air bag module “out-of-pocket” upon learning of this possible defect, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Additional information will be provided when BMW mails the additional letter, asking you to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have your driver-side front air bag module replaced.

Q21. When are the repair parts expected to be available?
BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator to allow this safety recall to proceed as soon as possible. At the moment, a specific date is not available.
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 4 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q22. What is the difference between the existing and the repair part?
The existing part is a Takata PSDI-5 inflator. BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator for the repair part.

Q23. How will the repair be introduced to USA customers?
When an adequate inventory of parts is available, final owner notification letters will initially be issued via US First Class Mail to owners of the highest risk registered vehicles, i.e., oldest models in highest absolute humidity areas (e.g., USA Gulf states). As parts supply increases, all owners of affected vehicles will be notified by First Class mail.

Q24. Why is the passenger-side front air bag not affected?
The passenger-side front air bag does not contain a Takata PSDI-5 inflator so it is not affected by this recall.

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 03-09-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Unfortunately, my car is involved...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Is there any factual evidence that BMW will be contacting effected owners in the time frame you suggested?

I know there's a thread about this that was posted a few weeks ago and at that time it was unknown when BMW would be performing recall services.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
BMW is working on the recall fix and implementation plan. The other recall thread has highlighted that BMW dealers will not be able to sell affected cars until after repairs; suggesting the CPO fleet will be the first to get repairs. There may also be some effect on private sell prices during this period.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

OP's post is true. I contacted BMW about this and this is what I was told as well. It doesn't mean the fix is in April, just that we'll be contacted with some info and/or instructions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

You can just look up your vin here:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
The info I got when I plugged in my VIN...

Year: 2009 Make: BMW Model: M3 COUPE US
Number of Open Recalls: 1
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 16V071 Recall Date: February 5, 2016
Manufacturer Recall Number: NA
SUMMARY:
DRIVER-SIDE FRONT AIR BAG: During air bag deployment in an accident, the driver-side front air bag module may produce excessive internal pressure that could cause the inflator to rupture.
SAFETY RISK:
Inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers, potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
REMEDY:
Your BMW center will replace the driver-side front air bag module. However, due to the large volume of new inflators needed to repair vehicles, the necessary parts will not be immediately available. As a result, owners of affected vehicles will be informed of the recall in an initial notification letter. Once replacement parts become available BMW will send another notification letter to owners, beginning with older model year vehicles located in BMW's previously defined HAH (High Absolute Humidity) region and expanding accordingly as more parts become available.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Services at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, or at 1-800-525-7417.
THIS RECALL DATA LAST REFRESHED: Feb 12, 2015

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Safety Recall 16V-071(Drivers Front Air Bag Module)

Included are approximately 840,000 vehicles, with approximate volumes and production dates as noted below.

Series Model Model Year Approx. Volume Production Dates
E82 1 Series Coupe (incl. M) 2008 – 2013 32,620 Nov 2007 – Oct 2013
E88 1 Series Convertible 2008 – 2013 28,160 Nov 2007 – Oct 2013
E90 3 Series Sedan (incl. M) 2006 – 2011 132,845 Feb 2005 – Dec 2011
E90 3 Series Sedan (diesel) 2009 – 2011 4,160 Mar 2008 – Aug 2011
E91 3 Series Sports Wagon 2006 – 2012 3,270 Jun 2005 – May 2012
E92 3 Series Coupe (incl. M) 2007 – 2013 129,515 Apr 2006 – Jun 2013
E93 3 Series Convertible (incl. M) 2007 – 2013 99,810 Nov 2006 – Oct 2013

Q2. BMW conducted safety recalls in 2013, 2014 and 2015 on a similar issue. How is this different?
The inflators are different. This recall campaign pertains to the Takata PSDI-5 inflator. The earlier recalls pertained to different inflators produced by Takata.

Q3. Are BMW M models included in this recall campaign?
Yes. [Please refer to Q1.]

Q4. Is this recall comparable to similar recalls being conducted by other Manufacturers?
Yes. This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-5 inflator.

Q5. How many BMW vehicles in the US are included in this Safety Recall?
The number of BMW vehicles in the US included in this recall is approximately 840,000.

Q6. Why are other models not included?
Other models are not included because this recall pertains specifically to vehicles equipped with the Takata PSDI-5 inflator.
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 2 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q7. What is the specific concern?
Takata’s investigation to date indicates that, due to exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity), this could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.

Q8. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a crash where air bag system deployment occurs, the air bag inflator housing may rupture. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.

Q9. Is there a possibility to find out whether the problem exists in my car?
No. There is no way to detect if your BMW might have an air bag inflator potentially at risk of rupturing upon deployment in an accident.

Q10. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. BMW is not aware of a ruptured inflator in any of its vehicles associated with this recall. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this service performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.

Q11. What measures will be taken?
The driver-side front air bag module will be replaced.

Q12. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue from Takata (the air bag module supplier) and NHTSA.

Q13. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries involving BMW vehicles associated with this campaign?
No. BMW is not aware of a ruptured inflator in any of its vehicles associated with this recall.

Q14. How will I be informed of this recall program?
If your vehicle is affected, you will receive an initial letter in March via First Class mail advising you of this recall. You should receive an additional letter when replacement parts become available, requesting that you schedule an appointment to bring your vehicle to an authorized BMW center for service and repair.
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 3 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q15. NHTSA has encouraged all owners to get their affected air bags replaced as soon as replacement parts are available. What is BMW’s position?
BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator to allow this safety recall to proceed as soon as possible.

Q16. Will my BMW center deactivate my driver-side front air bag until it is replaced?
BMW is not of the opinion that a deactivation of the driver-side front air bag system is necessary.

Q17. How will this program be performed?
When you are notified via the final letter, you will be asked to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center who will order the replacement driver-side front air bag module for your vehicle prior to your appointment.

Q18. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take approximately two hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q19. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing this program to ensure that the necessary parts, tools and procedures are available to its authorized BMW centers, prior to instructing you to take your vehicle in for repair.

Q20. Am I eligible for reimbursement under the TREAD Act if I previously replaced my driver-side front air bag module?
In this particular recall, reimbursement is likely not applicable, as you would typically have replaced your driver-side front air bag module as a result of an accident. In that situation, either your insurance company paid for the repair, or you paid “out-of-pocket”.
However, in the very unusual (unlikely) scenario that you previously replaced the driver-side front air bag module “out-of-pocket” upon learning of this possible defect, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Additional information will be provided when BMW mails the additional letter, asking you to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have your driver-side front air bag module replaced.

Q21. When are the repair parts expected to be available?
BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator to allow this safety recall to proceed as soon as possible. At the moment, a specific date is not available.
Model Year 2006 - 2015
Safety Recall 16V-071
Page 4 Updated: February 12, 2016

Q22. What is the difference between the existing and the repair part?
The existing part is a Takata PSDI-5 inflator. BMW is developing an alternate air bag inflator for the repair part.

Q23. How will the repair be introduced to USA customers?
When an adequate inventory of parts is available, final owner notification letters will initially be issued via US First Class Mail to owners of the highest risk registered vehicles, i.e., oldest models in highest absolute humidity areas (e.g., USA Gulf states). As parts supply increases, all owners of affected vehicles will be notified by First Class mail.

Q24. Why is the passenger-side front air bag not affected?
The passenger-side front air bag does not contain a Takata PSDI-5 inflator so it is not affected by this recall.

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 03-09-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

I emailed my SA at BMW about something unrelated and he told me about this recall and that they will let me know when to bring my car in for replacement. Said the manufacturer is swamped trying to pump out the new units.
Appreciate 0