BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Fuse replacement in e88

I don't think there is a difference between the e82 and e88 but my wife and I have e88/n52. Hers is the slower automatic and mine is the superior manual. Anyway, I was trying out a new Garmin and it acted like it didn't have power when plugged into the accessory jack which turned out to be a blown fuse. The manual tells you where the fuses are but references you to a sheet near the fuses for which is which. My paper was there but it is all symbols. I had to go online to figure out which symbol is for the accessory outlets.

But the main struggle is getting fuses in and out. Now admittedly, my glove size is XL so that doesn't help but a fuse block behind the glove box and 6 inches or so back is just unkind. I can't put my hand back there and still see anything. I got the old fuse out with needle nose pliers but couldn't see well enough to get the new one in that way. Finally I figured out to use forceps like these:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-655FS-Locki.../dp/B000WNENZI

I put mine in a baggy with some extra fuses in the glove box for next time. Worked much better, in part because I could lock it on the fuse.

The other thing I learned is that cheapo harbor freight fuses work fine. I had an assortment in my SUV so I pulled out a couple of each size and put them in the bimmer baggy.

I'm missing some skin on my left index finger but it got done.
      03-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

yikes there metal,

not sure I wanna be poking around in a fuse box with a pair of metal forceps
Appreciate 1