BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Almost time for new summer tires

Hey Guys,

It's almost time to pull my Scorpion Ice & Snows off for Spring and I need to decide on some new summer tires. The OE P-Zeros I pulled off in the fall are toast. I've been thinking of trying the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, had good experience on my E82 with these. I know we're limited in these sizes, but anyone else have some options/opinions here?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are awesome summer tires but spendy and will not last very long. No great tires do really. In my experience tires are the definition of compromise. You have to decide what's most important to you. Major's Performance, Price, Longevity Minors road noise, ride quality, fuel economy, appearance.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

stewy604 , +1 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Unfortunately though, they don't have the size for the F15 20" wheels.
Why don't you go with Conti DW, I have heard all good things about the tire.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
taken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive50i

If you have dedicated winters, go with dedicated summers and not an all season tire. The ones I'm going with are Nokian zLine SUV. Car just landed at the dealer and the tires go on next week. Will have a review then.

https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-t...ian-zline-suv/

03-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
XJouster is running them on his F15, but I think he's gone up one size. I'm ok with a dedicated summer tire...and I love to drive aggressively. I'm on the Michelin site now, they show the rears only, you're right. If the dollar was stronger, I'd bite the bullet and order those BBS SV's! Taken, to your suggestion on the Nokian, they don't make the correct sizes for our staggered 20's either. I'll take a look at the DWS06's.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I'll go with the DWS 06s.
      03-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
XJouster is running them on his F15, but I think he's gone up one size. I'm ok with a dedicated summer tire...and I love to drive aggressively. I'm on the Michelin site now, they show the rears only, you're right. If the dollar was stronger, I'd bite the bullet and order those BBS SV's! Taken, to your suggestion on the Nokian, they don't make the correct sizes for our staggered 20's either. I'll take a look at the DWS06's.
Why not look at the Conti DW as suggested above? I hear the DWS is nice, but if you're swapping for dedicated winters then all seasons don't sound necessary. I'm going to be going through the same decision soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
If you have dedicated winters, go with dedicated summers and not an all season tire. The ones I'm going with are Nokian zLine SUV. Car just landed at the dealer and the tires go on next week. Will have a review then.

Those look nice taken! Personally I prefer a tire that has a center rib/band right down the middle like these vs the newer designs a lot of manufactures are coming out with like the DWS where the pattern varies across the width. I felt the center rib gives you a more positive/accurate feel if that makes any sense. Tires without it feel sloppy to me. Just my 2 cents.
I'm basing this on my last vehicle which was an Acura MDX Elite my summer tires were Michelin Diamaris 19's which I ended up replacing with Continental DWS. I noticed a loss of feel right away, they didn't track as nice as the Diamaris.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe
I'll go with the DWS 06s.
No availability in DSW06 for 22" rim. They only have the front tire - no back. Unless you do 295 all around you can't do DSW06.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
MBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
I was hoping to get rid of RF and put MPSS on but like you said rears are available in 20 but the fronts are not, closest size would be 285/35 20

Tire rack shows the rears $400 a pop

Please keep us posted on what tires you end up with and post impressions

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltress
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post

Those look nice taken! Personally I prefer a tire that has a center rib/band right down the middle like these vs the newer designs a lot of manufactures are coming out with like the DWS where the pattern varies across the width. I felt the center rib gives you a more positive/accurate feel if that makes any sense. Tires without it feel sloppy to me. Just my 2 cents.
I'm basing this on my last vehicle which was an Acura MDX Elite my summer tires were Michelin Diamaris 19's which I ended up replacing with Continental DWS. I noticed a loss of feel right away, they didn't track as nice as the Diamaris.
Our MDX had no feeling to begin with...which is why it's no longer in the stable.

Did the DWS feel like they had softer sidewalls? Did they not track straight?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335 View Post
Our MDX had no feeling to begin with...which is why it's no longer in the stable.

Humm that's interesting my 07 Acura MDX (Elite top of the line with active sport suspension) was a fantastic driving SUV, it cornered very well and had a great steering ratio and feel. A little less so with the switch from Michelin to the DWS but it was still quite sporty. My M-sport X5 (no DHP) is not nearly as nimble. The steering in comfort mode is like a Toyota Camry, there's too much of a dead spot in the center, constantly have to make course corrections to keep her between the lines, it's tiresome on long highway trips. It's my biggest complaint, I didn't notice it when I test drove before buying. I will probably be switching out to something else in the next 2 years because of it. Not sure if the feel will improve with the stock summer tires on, I have my winters on right now and they are like the DWS in that they do not have a center rib.
I wouldn't say the DWS had softer sidewalls, just didn't have a nice positive straight tracking feeling.

Did your MDX have the active suspension or was it regular shocks? Two totally different driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Humm that's interesting my 07 Acura MDX (Elite top of the line with active sport suspension) was a fantastic driving SUV, it cornered very well and had a great steering ratio and feel. A little less so with the switch from Michelin to the DWS but it was still quite sporty. My M-sport X5 (no DHP) is not nearly as nimble. The steering in comfort mode is like a Toyota Camry, there's too much of a dead spot in the center, constantly have to make course corrections to keep her between the lines, it's tiresome on long highway trips. It's my biggest complaint, I didn't notice it when I test drove before buying. I will probably be switching out to something else in the next 2 years because of it. Not sure if the feel will improve with the stock summer tires on, I have my winters on right now and they are like the DWS in that they do not have a center rib.
I wouldn't say the DWS had softer sidewalls, just didn't have a nice positive straight tracking feeling.

Did your MDX have the active suspension or was it regular shocks? Two totally different driving dynamics.
I had an '08 without active suspension. My X has the M-Sport suspension and is light years better than the MDX on all fronts (cornering, body roll, steering feel, highway cruising). I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm also running with 20" wheels with the oem continentals (summer cross contacts???). Even my Pirelli snow and ice tires were great on the highway... And it tracks straight as an arrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As of now, I'm leaning towards the DWS06's. Even though they're an all-season and I have dedicated winters, it would definitely be nice to see the tires last, and with a better than 500 tread wear rating...I'm guessing they would. Any mileage claims from those running them? I only got 30k on my P-Zeros.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335
Quote:
Quote:

I had an '08 without active suspension. My X has the M-Sport suspension and is light years better than the MDX on all fronts (cornering, body roll, steering feel, highway cruising). I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm also running with 20" wheels with the oem continentals (summer cross contacts???). Even my Pirelli snow and ice tires were great on the highway... And it tracks straight as an arrow.
Moral of this story... Get the Adaptive M Suspension!!!!!!!
      03-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604
As of now, I'm leaning towards the DWS06's. Even though they're an all-season and I have dedicated winters, it would definitely be nice to see the tires last, and with a better than 500 tread wear rating...I'm guessing they would. Any mileage claims from those running them? I only got 30k on my P-Zeros.
This is my plan when my current summers are shot. I've never personally had any experience with dws but I've always had good experiences with continental tires and with overwhelming good reviews from everyone that has had them I think it's worth a shot.
      03-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^ Agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just a quick note to follow up on my observations re tire types. I bought my 2014 X5 M-Sport in Dec and had the stock rims and tires removed 30mins after picking the vehicle up so no real seat time on the stock summer tires. Ran the Blizzak DMV2 for the winter, these are non-runflat and do not have that center rib down the middle of the tire, similar to DWS. Yesterday I switched back to stock staggered tire setup, not sure what sport tire I have think is a Dunlop. Anyways I noticed right away better straight line tracking and much less of the mushy feel. I'm further convinced of the benefit of a tire design with a center rib. Also noticed the run-flats are noisy. When they are done I'll be switching to non-runflats but definitely a tire with a center rib design.
Appreciate 0