Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
hasse_231
Rep
Drives: Loocking for an M3

Seats, etc. compared to E9x M3

Hi guys.

I did buy a m3 e90 and did love the car in all ways but there was
Some parts of the car that was a bit off. So i did sell it.

I didnt sit so well and the seats was to tight. Are the seats wider in the f80

Is the ride stiffer than the e90 in comfort?

The build puality seems to be a bit off compared to my other mercedes since before.

Are the f80 a bit up in interior puality??

Im looking for a manual transmission.

I do live in europe so i cant get an m5 with manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

The seats in the f80/f82 are tight. Especially in the thigh width area. This part of the seat is non-adjustable and may cause you discomfort if you're a big bigger

The seat back is adjustable in width. There isn't an adjustable knee support area compared to previous generation

Personally, I love these seats more compared to the e90 generation. They look and feel better IMO
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

I can't say the F80 seats are more comfortable than the E90 seats. You definitely have to test one since it seems to be an issue for you.

As for the build quality, make sure to get the full leather, that makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I liked my E90 M3 seats a lot better. More and better distributed padding and better side bolsters. 8h was a breeze in those with no hot spots. The F80 seats does get hot spots and aren't that comfy after a couple of hours.

The Interior of the F80 is more luxurious but doesn't feel higher quality to me, it feels harder to touch but also more hollow and less solid. The tech. is a rather large step up and with leather dash the interior look a lot more premium and modern for sure.

Of the two the F80 feels rawer and stiffer but also more clinical and plastic. At the same time it's more modern and luxurious...
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_231 View Post
I did buy a m3 e90 and did love the car in all ways but there was Some parts of the car that was a bit off. So i did sell it.

I didnt sit so well and the seats was to tight. Are the seats wider in the f80
Seat fitment and support are highly dependent on a particular body shape and size. For me (6", ~210 lbs), the seats are just about perfect. As other mentioned, F80 seats don't have thigh extensions, but I never used them in E46 and E90 either.

However, I would not trust 3rd party seat reviews any more than I trust suspension stiffness or muffler sound recommendations - everyone's perceptions are different.

The only way to tell for sure is to climb in one and see for yourself!

Quote:
Is the ride stiffer than the e90 in comfort?
I had traditional old-fashioned shocks in E90, and adaptive suspension in F80. Comfort suspension setting is definitely softer in F80 than stock was in E90. Sport is similar, but a marginally harsher. Sport+ is was harsher, but works really well on track.

Quote:
The build puality seems to be a bit off compared to my other mercedes since before.
BMW interior materials (other than letter) are a little below that of Merc AMG cars (don't remember being inside a non-AMG Merc recently). Similar to, possibly slight above, that of Audi.

Quote:
Are the f80 a bit up in interior puality??
No, very similar to E90.
They now offer CF interior inlays, which I find attractive, but some find flashy. If those appeal to you - you are in luck. If not, the interior materials and options are just about 99% identical to those in E90.

One interior element is a downgrade - the cruise control stalk is gone, and you now have to push steering wheel buttons to use CC (include 1 just to turn it on every time).

a
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Re: build quality. I would say BMW is and has always been on par with MB. However MB is typically more luxurious inside than BMW. Fits the brands IMHO - BMW is more of a drivers car and MB is more of a passenger car. FWIW.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0