BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
NoynuR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M4 CSL

Need help I know this isn't for a Bmw

Looking for advice and help, and i'm tired of having a shitty situation handed to me.

Here's a little back story of me.
My Name is Harrison i own a 2016 Sti limited. This is my second subaru i have owned and i've only Started owning Subarus since August of 2014 when i Traded in My M3 for a 2015 Wrx. Long story short on that car, the CVT transmission went out at 7000 miles. It was warrantied and i ended up trading it in about 2 weeks later for a 2016 Sti limited. I have Owned about 10 Cars in the 7 years ive been driving ( Camaros including a ZL1, Audi A4, Lexus is350, Bmw M3. Nissan 370 nismo etc) you get the picture i like preformance cars.
I've had modifications on multiple cars and have never once had a issue like have with the car i have now.

I used to work for the Local subaru dealer in town. Hench why i got a subaru! I worked in Parts for 2 years and then got a better job offer at another Dealer of a different brand. I loved working for Subaru i love their product. My Girlfriend owns a Forester i helped my Mom get a New Outback her Dad drives A 15 Wrx and her brother drives a built Legacy Gt. We are pretty much a Subaru family. Any ways let me get to the issue at hand.

I have roughly 11,000 miles on my Sti, i have changed my oil at 3000 miles, 6500, miles and then i was on my way to get my 3rd oil change when i heard a horrible sound... Knock knock knock. I had it towed to the closest dealer to my house. I Had to wait 4 and a half hours for Subaru roadside assistance to Pick up my car. 2 hours late of the Promised arrival time. It was 630 pm by the time he picked up the car and he clearly didn't know how to load because on the way up he started to crack the front bumper and scrape the front lip and rear diffuser.. but that's another story. The next day i call the dealer it was dropped off at and was told they received the car and would be looking into it. I said that was fine i just need a loaner to get to Work, They said they didn't have a single loaner.. I was Astonished. How do you expect me to complete my daily routine with out a vehicle. I also asked how long until they get my car into the shop to see whats wrong. The advisor then told me 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!! THATS RIDICULOUS! Ive been working the car industry for 3 years now and i have never seen such bad customer service and regard for the customer in my life. Thank goodness i have friends because i was able to borrow a car for a week till they finally were able to get me a loaner. I'm Furious so i know how the system works and i know how garbage the blocks on these things are. They aren't made like they used to be and are not as reliable. I can not tell you have many Sti blocks i had to bring out to the tech when i was working at Subaru. These blocks need to be stronger. So i call Subaru of america to get them involved and help me out. 2 weeks is a long time to get into the shop so create a case for them to look into. The only updates i get during this is when i have to call because only once was the case worker on time in giving me a update and the update he gave me was that he heard i was in a loaner.. like wtf kinda update is that. 3 weeks now pass after the car has dropped off and i finally get the update the engine tear down is in progress. A few days later I get a call from a lady named Kelly at Subaru of America telling me that they have to deny my claim because i have a aftermarket down pipe and Exhaust on the car. We go back and forth and i eventually am tired of arguing and hang up. At the end of the day I take a visit to the dealer because i want to see what is wrong with the engine because i haven't been told a single thing other then my claim is denied. I visit and ask what was the cause of the failure? The advisor goes the tunes. I tell him what tunes What happened with the block he goes oh you spun a bearing. which one? oh all 4 bearings...

This is where i get extremely upset. How does a car with 11000 miles spin all 4 rod bearings and ruin the crankshaft? That is not a problem caused with having a Aftermarket exhaust on the car. That is a oil starvation issue and not a fault of the exhaust but a fault of the engine production itself. I take a few pictures and go home.

Next day i get call telling me that the strings i have pulled worked and they are gonna ask me to pay to put the stock exhaust back on and they will cover 50% of the cost as a good will.. 50% of that is $5745.50 not including tax and is due at pick up. Now i'm at a stand still, i do not have that much money to blow right now as im currently tied up with moving into a house in 15 days. The car is brand new, Yes i have a exhaust on it but every master tech ive talked to and everyone ive shown pictures have told me the exhaust will not cause that failure and that it was probably a oil starvation issue in the engine. Help me get this noticed or pull further strings to get the car Warrantied 100% As a person who used to work for Subaru and has Subaru brand loyalty this is Horse bologna.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

They have to prove your mod caused the damage for them to deny warranty. I would lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoynuR View Post
Looking for advice and help, and i'm tired of having a shitty situation handed to me.

Here's a little back story of me.
My Name is Harrison i own a 2016 Sti limited. This is my second subaru i have owned and i've only Started owning Subarus since August of 2014 when i Traded in My M3 for a 2015 Wrx. Long story short on that car, the CVT transmission went out at 7000 miles. It was warrantied and i ended up trading it in about 2 weeks later for a 2016 Sti limited. I have Owned about 10 Cars in the 7 years ive been driving ( Camaros including a ZL1, Audi A4, Lexus is350, Bmw M3. Nissan 370 nismo etc) you get the picture i like preformance cars.
I've had modifications on multiple cars and have never once had a issue like have with the car i have now.

I used to work for the Local subaru dealer in town. Hench why i got a subaru! I worked in Parts for 2 years and then got a better job offer at another Dealer of a different brand. I loved working for Subaru i love their product. My Girlfriend owns a Forester i helped my Mom get a New Outback her Dad drives A 15 Wrx and her brother drives a built Legacy Gt. We are pretty much a Subaru family. Any ways let me get to the issue at hand.

I have roughly 11,000 miles on my Sti, i have changed my oil at 3000 miles, 6500, miles and then i was on my way to get my 3rd oil change when i heard a horrible sound... Knock knock knock. I had it towed to the closest dealer to my house. I Had to wait 4 and a half hours for Subaru roadside assistance to Pick up my car. 2 hours late of the Promised arrival time. It was 630 pm by the time he picked up the car and he clearly didn't know how to load because on the way up he started to crack the front bumper and scrape the front lip and rear diffuser.. but that's another story. The next day i call the dealer it was dropped off at and was told they received the car and would be looking into it. I said that was fine i just need a loaner to get to Work, They said they didn't have a single loaner.. I was Astonished. How do you expect me to complete my daily routine with out a vehicle. I also asked how long until they get my car into the shop to see whats wrong. The advisor then told me 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!! THATS RIDICULOUS! Ive been working the car industry for 3 years now and i have never seen such bad customer service and regard for the customer in my life. Thank goodness i have friends because i was able to borrow a car for a week till they finally were able to get me a loaner. I'm Furious so i know how the system works and i know how garbage the blocks on these things are. They aren't made like they used to be and are not as reliable. I can not tell you have many Sti blocks i had to bring out to the tech when i was working at Subaru. These blocks need to be stronger. So i call Subaru of america to get them involved and help me out. 2 weeks is a long time to get into the shop so create a case for them to look into. The only updates i get during this is when i have to call because only once was the case worker on time in giving me a update and the update he gave me was that he heard i was in a loaner.. like wtf kinda update is that. 3 weeks now pass after the car has dropped off and i finally get the update the engine tear down is in progress. A few days later I get a call from a lady named Kelly at Subaru of America telling me that they have to deny my claim because i have a aftermarket down pipe and Exhaust on the car. We go back and forth and i eventually am tired of arguing and hang up. At the end of the day I take a visit to the dealer because i want to see what is wrong with the engine because i haven't been told a single thing other then my claim is denied. I visit and ask what was the cause of the failure? The advisor goes the tunes. I tell him what tunes What happened with the block he goes oh you spun a bearing. which one? oh all 4 bearings...

This is where i get extremely upset. How does a car with 11000 miles spin all 4 rod bearings and ruin the crankshaft? That is not a problem caused with having a Aftermarket exhaust on the car. That is a oil starvation issue and not a fault of the exhaust but a fault of the engine production itself. I take a few pictures and go home.

Next day i get call telling me that the strings i have pulled worked and they are gonna ask me to pay to put the stock exhaust back on and they will cover 50% of the cost as a good will.. 50% of that is $5745.50 not including tax and is due at pick up. Now i'm at a stand still, i do not have that much money to blow right now as im currently tied up with moving into a house in 15 days. The car is brand new, Yes i have a exhaust on it but every master tech ive talked to and everyone ive shown pictures have told me the exhaust will not cause that failure and that it was probably a oil starvation issue in the engine. Help me get this noticed or pull further strings to get the car Warrantied 100% As a person who used to work for Subaru and has Subaru brand loyalty this is Horse bologna.
Get them to put in paper with proof that an aftermarket exhaust caused the rod bearing failure. Get those master techs to put in writing what they told you. Then lawyer up.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

post this story on their social media sites. make it a shorter version so more people will read (2-3 sentences).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

The STI's had more problems with the blown piston ringlands than spun bearings, but that's another discussion. Unfortunately, if you had only the catback exhaust with no tune I doubt there would be much to say about that because Subaru offers the SPT catback exhaust as an option. But the tune and downpipe are emissions related and they alter the power and boost that the car came with from the factory and therefore you may find that this will be a big uphill battle for you if you decide to fight it. Sorry to be frank, but that is my honest opinion from one enthusiast to another.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Oh dang I didn't see you had a down pipe. Yeah, as much as I'd like to make you feel better about this, you may have just screwed yourself with that. While there's only a small chance the downpipe affected your motor enough to spin the bearings, what cenix said with the alteration of emissions and boost is what's gonna screw the pooch for you. See if they'll goodwill the work up to 60%, take whatever they counter with and call it a day.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

Find a lawyer that works on contingency and have him pursue the issue. Look into lemon laws.
      06-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
The STI's had more problems with the blown piston ringlands than spun bearings, but that's another discussion. Unfortunately, if you had only the catback exhaust with no tune I doubt there would be much to say about that because Subaru offers the SPT catback exhaust as an option. But the tune and downpipe are emissions related and they alter the power and boost that the car came with from the factory and therefore you may find that this will be a big uphill battle for you if you decide to fight it. Sorry to be frank, but that is my honest opinion from one enthusiast to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Oh dang I didn't see you had a down pipe. Yeah, as much as I'd like to make you feel better about this, you may have just screwed yourself with that. While there's only a small chance the downpipe affected your motor enough to spin the bearings, what cenix said with the alteration of emissions and boost is what's gonna screw the pooch for you. See if they'll goodwill the work up to 60%, take whatever they counter with and call it a day.
Sadly, this. Sucks man but that's probably what it'll end up being because of the tune and DPs.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

first problem is you went to the dealer with a aftermarket tune(I'm guessing you had a cobb AP) with a downpipe and exhaust. I've heard stories on iwsti of people with just the access port being denied warranty. you can make a case but most of the time they have every right to deny anything because you are not stock.

second, with that low miles I think you didn't know how to properly drive a sti esp if it's your first turbo car. That EJ motor does not like to be driven in low rpm's and even the ap off the shelf map is not safe. did you get a protune? I would say more than half of people who mod there STI's break them because they just slap some parts on and don't properly do them.

Also if you monitored your dam feedback on your accessport you would have seen signs of knock.

Regardless I know its a pain to have a new car fall out like that. Good luck man. Hope things work out
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
one-m3post
Rep
Drives: E61 535d

TLDR, FWIW a few months ago I was interested in the Diesel Subie and they have an alarming rate of crankshaft issues resulting in catastrophic engine failure.
Appreciate 0