BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Bamboo vs Fox - Help!!

I am just about ready to order and have decided on everything but the interior. I would be happy with either color, but have a slight preference for the FR (especially after seeing Greg's pics). The problem being Father Time. I plan on keeping my M for a minimum of 10 years...quite possibly much longer. I am concerned that the FR will fade over the years and look terrible. I realize BB will be more of a challenge to keep clean, but I've had plenty of practice over the last 7 years with the Sand interior on my e46. The positive side is that BB will not fade noticeably.

If it matters, I will not be ordering the Extended Leather.

Please throw some opinions my way!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

What color car? I'm guessing alpine white. If it's a light color car then go with FR. If it is a dark car I would say get the beige to lighten things up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

I ordered beige with my jerez black exterior. Thought it would wear better than the red. I also had to consider heat here in Texas. Beige should be a little cooler than red.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Personally I would go with bamboo...its extremely classy on AW, Jerez, and Black....

But, I currently own a light colored BMW interior (dove grey) on my 10yr old E36 M3. The problem with leather is that when it cracks (not if) the cracks will be dark and contrast with the light colored seats. Or pretty much any color other than black. Hence why I chose black this time. If your seats are going to see a lot of use I think the most practical route is the best to go. If it was between BB and FR for you then I would go with FR due to its ability to hide cracks better. I wouldnt worry about fading as much I as I would worry about wear spots and cracks....

Jason
      03-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Decide what image you are looking for. The BB will be nice and classy as previously commented. The FR will be sportier. But ultimately the only thing that really matters is what you think you will like to sit in for 10 years not what we think.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
I ordered beige with my jerez black exterior. Thought it would wear better than the red. I also had to consider heat here in Texas. Beige should be a little cooler than red.
+1 for jerez black with beige. Can't go wrong with that!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
alpineweissM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Personally I would go with bamboo...its extremely classy on AW, Jerez, and Black....

But, I currently own a light colored BMW interior (dove grey) on my 10yr old E36 M3. The problem with leather is that when it cracks (not if) the cracks will be dark and contrast with the light colored seats. Or pretty much any color other than black. Hence why I chose black this time. If your seats are going to see a lot of use I think the most practical route is the best to go. If it was between BB and FR for you then I would go with FR due to its ability to hide cracks better. I wouldnt worry about fading as much I as I would worry about wear spots and cracks....

Jason
I was so concerned about fading, I forgot about cracking. The car will see about 15k a year..with many long road trips, so the seats will see plenty of use.

Given the fact that I will have this car for quite some time, maybe I should consider the black. I wasn't much of a fan of the black due to the interior being so dark, but maybe I should re-consider.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
alpineweissM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
Decide what image you are looking for. The BB will be nice and classy as previously commented. The FR will be sportier. But ultimately the only thing that really matters is what you think you will like to sit in for 10 years not what we think.
It's more about durability than image.

This is a very tough decision......
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
alpineweissM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
What color car? I'm guessing alpine white. If it's a light color car then go with FR. If it is a dark car I would say get the beige to lighten things up.
It will be Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

I testdriven a fox red. I will not choose that interior color.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I was so concerned about fading, I forgot about cracking. The car will see about 15k a year..with many long road trips, so the seats will see plenty of use.

Given the fact that I will have this car for quite some time, maybe I should consider the black. I wasn't much of a fan of the black due to the interior being so dark, but maybe I should re-consider.
Ooops, should have read your post closer. I have had beige twice and cracks are similar to silver, but you have experience with sand so you know what that does. No experience with reds. I would guess it would be better at hiding the creases since it is darker, but just a guess. Hopefully someone that has experience with red can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

[QUOTE=alpineweissM3;2334293]I was so concerned about fading, I forgot about cracking. The car will see about 15k a year..with many long road trips, so the seats will see plenty of use.

Three comments:
1) You are in Pittsburgh so sun fading will be a minimal issue.
2) My brother is a car designer and has done interior/exterior packages for Ford, Jaguar, VW, Audi and other manufacturers. My understanding is that ALL materials, particularly in German vehicles, are subject to extensive durability tests. I asked him the same question about Fox Red (my order choice) fading over time. He assured me that German standards for leather die pigments take this into consideration and he would NOT be worried about this at all.
3) If you plan to tint your windows, this will even further decrease any risk of fade/cracking etc. due to sun.

Personally, I am just a bit more worried about FR looking like full on terra-cotta...rather than anything "red". But, that is what is on it's way to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
alpineweissM3
Rep

[QUOTE=JPH;2334681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post

Three comments:
1) You are in Pittsburgh so sun fading will be a minimal issue.
2) My brother is a car designer and has done interior/exterior packages for Ford, Jaguar, VW, Audi and other manufacturers. My understanding is that ALL materials, particularly in German vehicles, are subject to extensive durability tests. I asked him the same question about Fox Red (my order choice) fading over time. He assured me that German standards for leather die pigments take this into consideration and he would NOT be worried about this at all.
3) If you plan to tint your windows, this will even further decrease any risk of fade/cracking etc. due to sun.

Personally, I am just a bit more worried about FR looking like full on terra-cotta...rather than anything "red". But, that is what is on it's way to me.
Another issue I have is the durabilty of the Novillo leather. This is the first year for the Novillo as Nappa has been used on previous M3's. This being said, the Novillo hasn't been proven yet.

BMW isn't known for having the most durable leather. I have seen many 3's w/ the cheap Montana leather...and it looks awful after a few years. And this was after suposedly being cared for with leather conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=alpineweissM3;2335875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post

BMW isn't known for having the most durable leather. I have seen many 3's w/ the cheap Montana leather...and it looks awful after a few years. And this was after suposedly being cared for with leather conditioner.

I would second the Montana leather comment. I have had my car (330Ci) for 5 years and have conditioned the leather regularly. Just in the last year it is starting to get more "plasticy". It's not terrible but, noticable.

No clue on Novillo durability.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's wrong with terra-cotta? I've seen it in Porsches and I think it looks great. I tell ya, dealers ought to have one M3 in each of the interior and exterior colors that BMW offers on their showroom floor. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
IMHO, Bamboo is Beige with a different name. Bamboo doesn't belong in an M3 or any sports car (again) IMHO. That color should be reserved for menopausal women.

Sorry in advance to those who were offended. I just hate beige interiors on any car.
      03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
alpineweissM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
IMHO, Bamboo is Beige with a different name. Bamboo doesn't belong in an M3 or any sports car (again) IMHO. That color should be reserved for menopausal women.

Sorry in advance to those who were offended. I just hate beige interiors on any car.
Why do you think that? Is it too boring?

My uncle had an OLD Aston Martin that had a beige interior and I thought it was very classy while still managing to be sporty.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
M3aHOLIC84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 Laguna Seca Blue M3

if you enjoy both just flip a coin!! lol
      03-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #19
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
That the last time I make comments while being stuck in an airport for hours trying to get home.

I'm glad folks like different colors and options on their cars, otherwise it would quite boring. However, no bamboo for me thanks.

Perhaps I've spent too many years flying planes. I feel a car should be a more business like similar to a cockpit.
      03-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
alpineweissM3
Rep

I just can't decide. I'm not sure that I like the beige lower dash section. I may just get the black.

Oh man...this is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #21
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
What's wrong with terra-cotta? I've seen it in Porsches and I think it looks great. I tell ya, dealers ought to have one M3 in each of the interior and exterior colors that BMW offers on their showroom floor. Oh well.
Which Porsche's? I've never seen that. I think terra cotta would be o.k., I just have to see it. My car should be either waiting to be loaded onto a ship or on the ship now so....i guess I will know soon what FR looks like in person.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which Porsche's? I've never seen that. I think terra cotta would be o.k., I just have to see it. My car should be either waiting to be loaded onto a ship or on the ship now so....i guess I will know soon what FR looks like in person.
I believe you can get terra-cotta on just about any Porsche. Look at their US website.

I would have to see fox red on the BMW too. In some pics it looks like terra-cotta, in others it looks like cinnamon, and in others like imola red. It's very hard to get a good idea of this color from pictures.