BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
crash32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cannot access BMW M Laptimer app....

I have a 2013 M3 with navigation. I was at the track last weekend and had downloaded the M Laptimer app to use on the track. I had my friend show me how to use it since he uses it on his car as well.
He opened up the app on my iPhone and then plugged the usb cable to it. He clicked on the menu button which brought up the ConnectedDrive option. Once in the ConnectedDrive menu it pulled up 5 options.... Roadside assistance, bmw online, customer relations, your service center, and service status.
My friend said that there is supposed to be a bmw app option, but it is not showing under my ConnectedDrive menu.
According to the info under m laptimer.... All BMWs with navigation should be able to use this program.
What am I missing? Is there a BMW app option that my vehicle did not come with?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
I have a 2013 M3 with navigation. I was at the track last weekend and had downloaded the M Laptimer app to use on the track. I had my friend show me how to use it since he uses it on his car as well.
He opened up the app on my iPhone and then plugged the usb cable to it. He clicked on the menu button which brought up the ConnectedDrive option. Once in the ConnectedDrive menu it pulled up 5 options.... Roadside assistance, bmw online, customer relations, your service center, and service status.
My friend said that there is supposed to be a bmw app option, but it is not showing under my ConnectedDrive menu.
According to the info under m laptimer.... All BMWs with navigation should be able to use this program.
What am I missing? Is there a BMW app option that my vehicle did not come with?
Can you check by placing your VIN number to this onlive VIN decoder to make sure that you have the BMW Apps?

BMW Apps is a separate feature and was optional.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to place the website for you.

Here it is: http://www.bmwvin.com/

Last edited by hpapad01; 06-20-2016 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ Correct, option code 6NR. BMW Apps isn't standard even on newer generations, though its name was changed to something else. I think it's part of the "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth" option there.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
crash32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So there is no way I can get BMW apps on my car if it did not come with it? So the laptimer is pretty much useless?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
So there is no way I can get BMW apps on my car if it did not come with it? So the laptimer is pretty much useless?
Here is a thread that can be usufull to you. I think you can retrofit and/or upgrade your CIC/Combox firmware.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535777

I'm not sure if your dealer can assist as well. Maybe someone else can chime in with more updated information.
      06-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01
Quote:
Here is a thread that can be usufull to you. I think you can retrofit and/or upgrade your CIC/Combox firmware.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535777

I'm not sure if your dealer can assist as well. Maybe someone else can chime in with more updated information.
I think this only works if your iDrive software is below a certain revision because later on BMW made it much harder to perform this unofficial retrofit. Not sure there's any official retrofit at all, but there might be.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I think this only works if your iDrive software is below a certain revision because later on BMW made it much harder to perform this unofficial retrofit. Not sure there's any official retrofit at all, but there might be.
I think you are correct, I just don't remember all the details.

Perhaps BPM can assist. Mike Benvo where are you?