BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW ZCP F82

Instrument Cluster Malfunction

First major issue on my 2.5mo old ZCP F82. Upon exiting the freeway last Friday I noticed the gauges on my instrument cluster appear to power off/on. The small LCD screen in the middle would also power off/on. This happened intermittently for about 5mins as I was pulling off the freeway. There was enough traffic coming off the ramp for me to take a video of what was happening. The car is now in the hands of my local dealer for diagnosis. I wanted to document the event on the forums as this is the first time I've heard of this.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
This has been written up numerous times in this forum.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1306352
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1242061

Seems to take a software update to fix.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

The bimmerpost.com search function works better than Google!!

I hope it's a software update. Seeing that my car's fairly new I may have the most recent firmware already (outside of having the 2017 iDrive of course).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
The bimmerpost.com search function works better than Google!!

I hope it's a software update. Seeing that my car's fairly new I may have the most recent firmware already (outside of having the 2017 iDrive of course).
Software update (58.3) fixed the issue for me. But i'm guessing OP's car is already on that version?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Got my car back from the dealer. Said that the display showed multiple faults after running their diagnostics. They did a "software update". Not sure if the original software was uninstalled/reinstalled. Will have to see if the problem presents itself again.

OT - While the car was in I asked them the repair a new rock chip towards the bottom of my windshield. The CA said he'd take a look at it and said it would be $125 for the repair. I told him I have the added warranty which covers the windshield repair. When I got the call to pick up my car he said their technician couldn't repair the windshield due to the chip being so low and towards the black paint and that they couldn't get a heat gun to the area?? Pretty odd they would use a heat gun. Anyway, I ended up buying a $13 windshield repair kit and did it myself. I may just cancel the warranty as this is the second time something has come under coverage and the dealer refuses to do anything about it. Pretty frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
I may just cancel the warranty as this is the second time something has come under coverage and the dealer refuses to do anything about it. Pretty frustrating.
That would not be very bright, because warranty cover s the failure of very expensive things. However, BMW’s basic factory warranty does not cover items that are subject to normal wear and tear during the course of vehicle use or items that are required to be replaced on a regular basis such as oil, filters, brake pads, wiper blades, etc. - like windshield chips.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That would not be very bright, because warranty cover s the failure of very expensive things. However, BMW’s basic factory warranty does not cover items that are subject to normal wear and tear during the course of vehicle use or items that are required to be replaced on a regular basis such as oil, filters, brake pads, wiper blades, etc. - like windshield chips.
Its the added BMW Ultimate Care Warranty/Wheel & Tire that I have. Dealers are the worst people to deal with.. everytime I talk to them I feel like doing this
Appreciate 0