BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

sqeaky belt noise

Hey guys, any ideas what I should be checking. I have what sounds to be a squeaky belt but I tried spraying the belt with WD-40 to eliminate the sound but it still continues. This leads me to think it's a bearing, but which one? Any way to I.D. the culprit? Can a water pump make a squealing belt noise?
      12-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
Hey guys, any ideas what I should be checking. I have what sounds to be a squeaky belt but I tried spraying the belt with WD-40 to eliminate the sound but it still continues. This leads me to think it's a bearing, but which one? Any way to I.D. the culprit? Can a water pump make a squealing belt noise?
How many miles are you at? Odds are it's the belt tensioner. It'll go bad and the tensioner pulley will sag forward and the belt will creep off the pulley. If it is the tensioner, buy the kit with he tensioner, bolt, idler pulley, and belt. You'll want to replace it all at the same time. Pretty straightforward and easy DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
monterey
Major
Rep

83k miles. Any link to the fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
It may be just the bearing in the idler (aka deflection) pulley by itself which is a very common wear item on this car. The tensioner and tensioner pulley are well over $200 together and not as common of a failure point as the idler pulley, so it may be worth it to you to just replacing the idler pulley and belt first to see if it fixes your problem. Here is a link to a great DIY by Sean05. Make sure you order the right idler pulley and belt for your 2008. There are two options for each depending on the build date of your car (described in detail in the thread). While you are at it, you might as well replace your other belt and check on your water pump pulley. If it is wobbling you can try unbolting it and rotating it 180 degrees or just replace it with a new one. Check out this thread by BIGW0RM for more details here.
I would say the tensioner is pretty common on these cars. You can try and check by looking at how the belt sits on the tensioner. If it sits more toward the front of the car, riding on the edge of the pulley, you're going to want to replace it.

But you might as well replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt at the same time. If you shop around you'll spend less than $150 for the whole kit. I only paid a little over $80 for my kit (n52) on amazon.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
monterey
Major
Rep

It doesn't sound like that guy's idler pully at all. Mine is a higher pitch noise.
Appreciate 0