BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Best way for storage

Hi,

I am posting this to get some guidance from people who frequently store their cars.

I am currently studying in the us, but my car is back in my home country. I am only home for twice a year during short winter break and long summer.

I'd like to know is it best to cover it up, put some sta bil for the fuel and charge the battery with c tek.. and just leave it unstarted for 5 months?

Or to go through the hastle to get somebody start the car up for like every 6 weeks ? However i wont be able to guarantee its going to be covered and charged .. ?

I just wanted to know the risk of keeping a car unstarted for period of 5-6 months.. what kind of side effects might come with it.

And for some of you who have better suggestion and ideas, all welcome.. thank you
      12-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Hi,

I am posting this to get some guidance from people who frequently store their cars.

I am currently studying in the us, but my car is back in my home country. I am only home for twice a year during short winter break and long summer.

I'd like to know is it best to cover it up, put some sta bil for the fuel and charge the battery with c tek.. and just leave it unstarted for 5 months?

Or to go through the hastle to get somebody start the car up for like every 6 weeks ? However i wont be able to guarantee its going to be covered and charged .. ?

I just wanted to know the risk of keeping a car unstarted for period of 5-6 months.. what kind of side effects might come with it.

And for some of you who have better suggestion and ideas, all welcome.. thank you
You are doing it right with your CTEK and stabil in the fuel .
No need to start the car , my car is stored every year for months on my CTEK in my garage to avoid the winter and road salt .
And in summer my car is not my DD , and I never had a problem ..
In short...No worries and just keep it on your CTEK

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Reichsadler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

I use the BMW advanced battery charging system, Sta-Bil in my fuel and 45 psid in my tires in a heated garage. Jack stands are optional.
Appreciate 1
GVIFlyer294.50
      12-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Do NOT suspend the car on jack stands. Everything else posted above is the correct method. You can also place cardboard under your tires to prevent flat spotting.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
Do NOT suspend the car on jack stands. Everything else posted above is the correct method. You can also place cardboard under your tires to prevent flat spotting.
If you run with Michelin PSS tires you will never have flat spotting .
PSS tires have a braided Twaron (Aramid) belt in the tires to avoid deformation and flat spots of the tires .

Please read this => http://www.teijinaramid.com/wp-conte...ound-story.pdf
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Hi,

You are doing it right with your CTEK and stabil in the fuel .
No need to start the car , my car is stored every year for months on my CTEK in my garage to avoid the winter and road salt .
And in summer my car is not my DD , and I never had a problem ..
In short...No worries and just keep it on your CTEK
When we dont use c-tek the risk of breaking down is just for the battery right ?
      12-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
You mean like normal cardboard? Those from boxes just cut it out and put below the tires ? How many layers ?
      12-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
If you run with Michelin PSS tires you will never have flat spotting .
PSS tires have a braided Twaron (Aramid) belt in the tires to avoid deformation and flat spots of the tires .

Please read this => http://www.teijinaramid.com/wp-conte...ound-story.pdf
Nope, i have pirelli corsa on mine
      12-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichsadler View Post
I use the BMW advanced battery charging system, Sta-Bil in my fuel and 45 psid in my tires in a heated garage. Jack stands are optional.
Do you know how much sta-bil we should put in our tank?
      12-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Based on my own calculation with the standard size of 16-17 gallon of fuel tank.. and with full capacity .. 6oz is the right amount to treat the fuel right ?

Also in the website saying that run the engine for 5 minutes after insertin the sta-bil.. does this mean just idle or actually drive around ?
      12-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #11
Reichsadler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
From their website: "1-ounce (30-milliliter) treats up to 2½ gallons (9.5-liters) of fuel. Use STA-BIL only with fresh fuel, and keep gas can or tank 95% full to avoid condensation build up in tank during storage. Run Engine for 5 minutes after adding product to treat entire fuel system."
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #12
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichsadler View Post
Quote:
From their website: "1-ounce (30-milliliter) treats up to 2½ gallons (9.5-liters) of fuel. Use STA-BIL only with fresh fuel, and keep gas can or tank 95% full to avoid condensation build up in tank during storage. Run Engine for 5 minutes after adding product to treat entire fuel system."
Thanks man, got it