BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
eyanez1230
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Scratched ZCP Wheels

Hey all,

My left rear ZCP wheel has some scratches underneath the clear coat. When I run my hand over the scratches I can't feel them so I assume these can't be waxed or anything. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? I bought the car like this.

My car is still under warranty and I'm wondering if this is a defect that the dealer can take care of? Any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If the dealer will warranty it, you have nothing to worry about, you will get a new wheel. Go in and ask them.

But if the dealer cannot, best bet would be to buy one of those scratch removing polish products from any car parts store and clean it with a microfiber towel. Worked on one of my older cars, worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Yep get the dealer to sort it. You may want to double check that the new rim colour match the current ones. Tricky to match should they be re painted.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #4
Ink09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT / 84 E30 318i

If its under warranty and the damage wasn't caused by you I would try the dealer, I had problems with the clear coat on my 335i rims and they replace the entire set under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Dealer warranty is always worth a shot..
      12-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

sorry to say...those are not scratches and can't be "buffed out". its the clear "checking" or "cracking". Needs to be striped and re painted.
Hopefully BMW will help you out on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
Munichm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanez1230 View Post
Hey all,

My left rear ZCP wheel has some scratches underneath the clear coat. When I run my hand over the scratches I can't feel them so I assume these can't be waxed or anything. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? I bought the car like this.

My car is still under warranty and I'm wondering if this is a defect that the dealer can take care of? Any thoughts are appreciated!
Is it me or is your M sticker upside down?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
eyanez1230
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys I'll try the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
eyanez1230
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munichm3 View Post
Wtheck I didn't even notice that! Something's definitely up with that wheel for sure then! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

yeah, that wheel has been refinished before, and the emblem was put back upside down.

You need Son Tran for this: https://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheels-garden-grove
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munichm3 View Post
Yes, it's upside down. Probably wheel was refinished. for some reason the guys that refinish them, always put them upside down. Sometimes the dealer refinishes them before sale and you don;t know it. My 1M has the same wheels and one day when cleaning them with soapy water and a soft towel the silver paint started to come off. These were refinished in my humble opinion. The cracking and the upside M decal are big signs.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also, when I wash my car, I drive it around the block once to clear the rust off the rotors before storing it. These rotors will corrode quickly if you put them away wet and leave them there. You will end up with pulsating pedal.

Just a thought! Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #13
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
It looks a lot like lacquer checking!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:29 AM   #14
eyanez1230
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Also, when I wash my car, I drive it around the block once to clear the rust off the rotors before storing it. These rotors will corrode quickly if you put them away wet and leave them there. You will end up with pulsating pedal.

Just a thought! Best wishes.
Thanks for your input and looking out! Yeah when I wash my car I try not to store it with rust on the rotors but now that you mention it, I'll be more proactive about double checking before putting it back into the garage.

As for the wheels, took it to my local BMW dealer, they contacted BMW NA and they said I need to take it to where I purchased it, so I'll be doing that next week and see what the outcome is. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens in case anyone ever runs into this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanez1230 View Post
Thanks for your input and looking out! Yeah when I wash my car I try not to store it with rust on the rotors but now that you mention it, I'll be more proactive about double checking before putting it back into the garage.

As for the wheels, took it to my local BMW dealer, they contacted BMW NA and they said I need to take it to where I purchased it, so I'll be doing that next week and see what the outcome is. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens in case anyone ever runs into this issue.
Cool! Yeah, living here in SoCal, I never had much issued but I bought a car in Toronto that was a garage queen, stored over the winter. We pulled it out and the rotors looked perfect but when we drove it, there was pulsating. The owner swore that wasn't there when he stored it but I thought maybe he didn't notice. Luckily BMW replaced the rotors under warranty and they told me that our \\\M Brakes will corrode quickly if parked for a long period of time especially in damp environments. They called it "park rot" and sure enough when I read the manual, it is in there too. So I am more careful now to scrape away the corrosion after washing, especially since the next set of brakes are on me.

On the wheels, I have owned three sets of these ZCPs since 2011. One brand new set that came on my car in 2011, one set I bought from a 2012 that changed wheels and used them for autocross tires and my current set on 2011 1M that was from BMW of Toronto. I have never seen that cracking and my wheels are 5 years old. I noticed that one wheel on the car that came from BMW of Toronto had a black mark on the edge of the lip that I thought was just rubber rubbing on the lip from a pothole. So I took some warm water with car wash and gently started to rub it and the it was black underneath and the paint started to come off. Then I noticed that the M decal was upside down like yours! : ) All of the other three wheels had the M decal correctly so something was done where that decal was re-attached. I hope they take care of you.

Best wishes and happy new year!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #16
eyanez1230
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Cool! Yeah, living here in SoCal, I never had much issued but I bought a car in Toronto that was a garage queen, stored over the winter. We pulled it out and the rotors looked perfect but when we drove it, there was pulsating. The owner swore that wasn't there when he stored it but I thought maybe he didn't notice. Luckily BMW replaced the rotors under warranty and they told me that our \\\M Brakes will corrode quickly if parked for a long period of time especially in damp environments. They called it "park rot" and sure enough when I read the manual, it is in there too. So I am more careful now to scrape away the corrosion after washing, especially since the next set of brakes are on me.

On the wheels, I have owned three sets of these ZCPs since 2011. One brand new set that came on my car in 2011, one set I bought from a 2012 that changed wheels and used them for autocross tires and my current set on 2011 1M that was from BMW of Toronto. I have never seen that cracking and my wheels are 5 years old. I noticed that one wheel on the car that came from BMW of Toronto had a black mark on the edge of the lip that I thought was just rubber rubbing on the lip from a pothole. So I took some warm water with car wash and gently started to rub it and the it was black underneath and the paint started to come off. Then I noticed that the M decal was upside down like yours! : ) All of the other three wheels had the M decal correctly so something was done where that decal was re-attached. I hope they take care of you.

Best wishes and happy new year!

Thanks man! Happy new years to you as well!
Appreciate 0