BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Acemetrical
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Sedan - Jet Black

Dealers protecting M3's over 6 series?

I keep on reading all of these posts regarding how draconian dealers are being with M test drives, and even sitting in the cars. So, what's up with dealers being all protective over the new M's, but they'll pretty much let you do what you want with a 6 series? The 6 costs more, and most likely has fewer made.

Maybe it's the dealers elsewhere. When I bought my 3 last Oct. The dealer asked if I wanted to take the 6 out for a spin. Very casual. Granted, I haven't been back since the M's came out...so what's the big deal? The newness factor?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemetrical View Post
I keep on reading all of these posts regarding how draconian dealers are being with M test drives, and even sitting in the cars. So, what's up with dealers being all protective over the new M's, but they'll pretty much let you do what you want with a 6 series? The 6 costs more, and most likely has fewer made.

Maybe it's the dealers elsewhere. When I bought my 3 last Oct. The dealer asked if I wanted to take the 6 out for a spin. Very casual. Granted, I haven't been back since the M's came out...so what's the big deal? The newness factor?
Some of it is newness. Also, dealers have a very small allotment of cars that aren't pre-sold, so I assume they don't want to burn up the miles on the few they have on the floor.

Wait a while until they have more than they need, and hopefully we can all have test drives.

FWIW, my dealer let me sit in it, start it up, and check it out for a good long while. I didn't ask for a test drive because I know I won't be ordering one anytime soon. But if I were to order one (and I really might, in a year or thereabouts), I would insist on testing it first. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable spending that much money on a car.
      04-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
cooldude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

The limited numbers are also the key.
and definitely "M" carries more weight than anything else
      04-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
M in the class of their own

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
BobbieBrighto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW M5

new century bmw in alhambra, ca, had been very open with its m3 in its showroom & in allocation. it allowed test drives if it did have any m3s in allocation available and very open with its demo. the demo itself is surrounded by employee desks which allowed greater supervision, but they didn't mind me fiddling with the car at all. i played with almost every part such as compartments, shifter, engine compartment, trunk, cupholders, & i was even visibly holding a drink in one hand. my experience had been similar at sterling in newport beach, ca.

then again, i guess im probably not marked as part of the younger, more rambunctious, crowd.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

The typical M buyer doesnt want to buy a molested M3 from a dealers showroom. I know I wouldnt. Its hard enough when most M buyers want to special order their cars anyway. I would imagine the very few M cars are sold right off the showroom floor. Hence why we see many dealer specced cars/demos still sitting in showrooms.

Jason
      04-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
The typical M buyer doesnt want to buy a molested M3 from a dealers showroom. I know I wouldnt. Its hard enough when most M buyers want to special order their cars anyway. I would imagine the very few M cars are sold right off the showroom floor. Hence why we see many dealer specced cars/demos still sitting in showrooms.

Jason
agree

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
The typical M buyer doesnt want to buy a molested M3 from a dealers showroom. I know I wouldnt. Its hard enough when most M buyers want to special order their cars anyway. I would imagine the very few M cars are sold right off the showroom floor. Hence why we see many dealer specced cars/demos still sitting in showrooms.Jason
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132751
Go here, select link on post #1, signup for an M3 test drive with a broken-in M3, drive it hard for ~45 mins or so, come back and write a nice post about your demo ride

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

That is strange I went to my BMW dealer and testdriving it wasn't harder than asking for stamps at the post office. Each dealer should have one demo that is meant to be testdriven. The dealers that don't want people testdriving it are the one that end up selling the least number of cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Pshh.... its a fricken car. Demand a ride in one!
      04-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #11
Acemetrical
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Sedan - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by j|rz44 View Post
Pshh.... its a fricken car. Demand a ride in one!

LOL - How great would it be to see a bunch of us waving picket signs outside the dealership demanding for our right to drive M3's...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
marketing strategy ...does it not make you want the car more, if they don't want you to drive it ... its like: " damn it must be really special" ... creates a sense of exclusivity when you do own one ... many of the ///M's i bought in the past i have not ever driven ... its an ///M ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
marketing strategy ...does it not make you want the car more, if they don't want you to drive it ... its like: " damn it must be really special" ... creates a sense of exclusivity when you do own one ... many of the ///M's i bought in the past i have not ever driven ... its an ///M ...
Nope, any person with even half a brain will buy another car. I almost bought a 335 because one dealership tried that stupid line on me. The first thing you should think is, what are they afraid of? One ride sold me, no ride would have sold me on something else.

Dumb strategy for dumb people that might work great until you get a bunch of dumb people coming in for warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
Nope, any person with even half a brain will buy another car. I almost bought a 335 because one dealership tried that stupid line on me. The first thing you should think is, what are they afraid of? One ride sold me, no ride would have sold me on something else.

Dumb strategy for dumb people that might work great until you get a bunch of dumb people coming in for warranty work.
that why you get people buying enzo's etc without driving them ... (guess they have no brains ...). Take for instance the 997 TT .. many people bought the car without driving them ... think about it ... you buy it based on the heritage of the marque ... you have high expectations of the M3 ... right? ... so driving it will either affirm this or at worst make you not like the car ... a 335i is different ... you buy an ///M cause you want it ... period! ...

so if they don't want you to drive the M3, go buy the 335i ... they don't care ... cause there is someone next in line that will buy the car even if they have not driven it ... unfortunately thats life hey

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
There is absolutely no chance I'd buy a new M3 without driving it first. Certainly, if you're serious about buying one, a dealer will let you test drive it. They would be crazy not to.

But just to drop by and ask to drive it, just to see what it is like? IMO that's asking a little much, considering how new the car is and how few "non-preorders" the dealer has for the showroom.
      04-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I had no problem driving the M3 at three different dealerships, but I have one ordered also, but only at one dealer. It probably has a lot to do with how you present yourself as well.
At one dealer they were not letting people drive the M but I drove it the first day they got it and alot of folks got turned down by that dealer, who knows.
      04-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

The dealer where I will soon be taking delivery has 2 available, but not for test drives.
      04-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
FWIW - My dealer let me test drive theirs (but that is after I placed an order) but I got the impression they try to limit the test drives: 1) Based on driver ability (this was a 6MT and he said some drivers had stalled quite a bit on it) 2) To keep the miles, down limited to serious prospects

That is my guess anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:

Jason
Agreed!

Also, I would think every dealer is different, besides the M car factor some dealers are
cool and some wont even let you sit in the one they have in the Showroom.

I was at Pacific BMW in Glendale and they had a AW M3 in the Showroom, this was
when they first got the car!
The doors were locked but I asked my Sales Person to open it up and take a look. I bought my E46 M3 from Pacific BMW and from that Sales Person so he knew me so he let me check it out from the inside but not only me, whoever asked to get a seat inside, they would open it up. Then I went Upstairs in the Storing Garage and there were 2 AW's. I started one up, Reved it up, and Put the Premium Sound way up top see how it sounded!
I tried to do this at another Dealer(I wont Say) and they wouldnt even let me Sit in the Car lol.... Its realy funny how wierd they get when you ask if you can sit in the car! lol
It cracks me up! lol

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0