BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Revisiting the purchase of maintenance plan

Hello everyone. I know this topic was discussed several times before but I would like to revisit it. I have a 2016 X5 50i (ordered new and took delivery in November 2015). Love it. On average, I drive about 1,800 miles per month. My plan all along has been to purchase both the extended warranty and the extended maintenance plan just before these items expire. Given some negative comments about the 50i's engine and the overall complication of the X5, I will purchase the extended warranty (quoted by my dealer recently at $4,820). I am not so sure the extended maintenance plan is worth it, however. My dealer recently quoted $2,295 for extended maintenance plan. Now, for that, we get oil changes, wiper blades (but my dealer only replaces wipers when requested, they do not automatically do so) and perhaps some other things (top off of fluids?). I just can't see spending $2,295 for maybe four oil changes and perhaps a new set of wiper blades. Am I missing something? Anybody think I am crazy for not purchasing extended maintenance plan? Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
The MP also covers your Brakes.

I purchased an extended MP($1,895 way back then(2009)) for my non-CPO 2006 530XiT(~57k). I used the MP for my Front Rotors & Pads + Sensor, Wiper blades Frnt&Rear and the Rear Rotors & Pads + Sensor. My 60k miles maintenance(Oil Change, Filters etc) was also covered. So in that case I was very happy with the MP purchase.

The prices are higher now so strategy is needed to calculate the benefits for your driving needs.

I plan to skip the MP this time and like yourself purchase the Platinum ESC(72mth/100k). I have a trusted Independent Shop that knows BMWs very well so I can get my Oil changes, Filters, Brakes serviced there.

This thread below will also help you in making your decision.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1359612
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

We have one more service coming up with the maintenance included with the purchase of our '14 X5d so I'm also evaluating the value of purchasing an extended maintenance plan.

At this point I expect we'll keep our 14 X5d for another couple of years, taking us to just about 6 years total, and another 23,000 miles, taking us to 68,000 miles total. So the plan under consideration is the coverage to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

It's my understanding the extended plan covers the same scope as the initial plan - is that correct?

Taking a look at service to date and using that to project what service to expect is needed over the next couple of years, I come up with the following:
Oil & filter and DEF fill - 2
Brake pads F& R - 1
Wiper blades - 2

When I add up the cost of paying for these services at our dealer I come up with a total of about $1,300. That's far less than the list price of $2,495 for the extended plan.

What am I missing? Should I count on the brake discs also needing replacement? Are significantly lower prices for the plan available; e.g. from a forum sponsor?
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Just making sure...your $2295 quote is for 2 years of extended maintenance? B/c a lot of people are getting $3500 quotes.

the only way to make extended maintenance pay off is to get 2 brake rotor+pad replacements done in those two years.

Unfortunately for your situation there is no clear solution. You're driving on the cusp of 22k a year, and it sounds like you'll be able to squeeze 2 changes in 2 years.

Problem is, whether you can do 2 changes in 2 years will be dependent on your last change under the original maintenance plan. If your driving habits are consistent you can extrapolate whether you'll get 2 changes in 44k miles of driving.

All in all, even if you can do 2 changes in 44k within that 2 year window, you'll only breakeven:

read my analysis on page two of the aforementioned thread:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1359612&page=2

You might be able to eek out ahead since you likely will also have to change your spark plugs too. But I estimate you won't spend more than $2000 out of pocket at an indie shop (buying discount parts online) if you only do 1 brake service.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-20-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'm coming up on 40K miles on my 2015 X5 and already have the Maintenance Plan. It's probably time for me to slowly start thinking if I want to keep the X5 and purchase an extended warranty, which means I'll be keeping the X5 for quite some time since I assume it's no pro-rated, right?

In other words: once you buy the extended warranty, it makes sense to keep the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I like doing these types of analysis, so I'll do one for your case with 2x brake jobs.

This is what an indie labor and online parts sourcing is estimated to cost in your 2 years of ownership after 5/40:

Brake job 1: $2000 (more likely going to be $1200)
Brake job 2: $2000 (more likely going to be $1200)
4x oil changes: $500
Air filter x 3: $100
Spark Plugs: $250

Sum = $4850 worst case (more likely $3050)

BTW, these are generous labor and parts estimates for the biggest ticket item, the brake job. I was able to do an indie front brake swap with OE pads/rotors/wear indicators for $600 all in. ($200 labor, $400 parts)

but again, I'm unclear as to $2295 quote is for 1 year or 2 years of maintenance.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-20-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.
First, I messed up on a couple of my figures. My X5d is now 3 years old w/45K miles. I expect when we sell it it will be 5 years old w/75K miles. So, I'm looking at the '6 years or 100,000 miles' extended maintenance plan, aka Ultimate Care+2, for which the list price is $2,295.

I have one more service under the original plan coming up in the next couple of months. I project the following after that for the next couple of years along with the standard pricing for these services at my dealer:

Oil & filter and DEF fill - 2 > $235 x 2 = $470
Brake pads F& R - 1 > $803 x 1 = $803
Wiper blades - 2 > ? (minimal and I can just as easily buy and install them myself)

Other items that have been done; e.g. cabin air filters, won't come due in the time period of interest.

So total of the above is $1,273, far below the Ultimate Care+2 plan price of $2,295.

I'm not sure if I should count on having to replace discs when the pads are replaced. CBS shows the fronts are good for another 20K miles and the rears 9.3K miles, and these are the originals. F&R disk replacement at my dealer is $1,218. This would bring the projected total maintenance to $2,491.

So if disk replacement is to be expected then the maintenance plan would save $196, or about 8%. Frankly that's not much, but perhaps I can negotiate a lower price on the plan either from my dealer or another source; e.g. a Bimmerpost sponsor. And...if I were to instead have these services done by an indie, it changes the comparison further (I have not yet found a good indie in my area, so far having been within the original maintenance plan).

Any who, a big part of this is whether or not I should expect to have to replace the disks with the pads. Any insights or other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
First, I messed up on a couple of my figures. My X5d is now 3 years old w/45K miles. I expect when we sell it it will be 5 years old w/75K miles. So, I'm looking at the '6 years or 100,000 miles' extended maintenance plan, aka Ultimate Care+2, for which the list price is $2,295.

I have one more service under the original plan coming up in the next couple of months. I project the following after that for the next couple of years along with the standard pricing for these services at my dealer:

Oil & filter and DEF fill - 2 > $235 x 2 = $470
Brake pads F& R - 1 > $803 x 1 = $803
Wiper blades - 2 > ? (minimal and I can just as easily buy and install them myself)

Other items that have been done; e.g. cabin air filters, won't come due in the time period of interest.

So total of the above is $1,273, far below the Ultimate Care+2 plan price of $2,295.

I'm not sure if I should count on having to replace discs when the pads are replaced. CBS shows the fronts are good for another 20K miles and the rears 9.3K miles, and these are the originals. F&R disk replacement at my dealer is $1,218. This would bring the projected total maintenance to $2,491.

So if disk replacement is to be expected then the maintenance plan would save $196, or about 8%. Frankly that's not much, but perhaps I can negotiate a lower price on the plan either from my dealer or another source; e.g. a Bimmerpost sponsor. And...if I were to instead have these services done by an indie, it changes the comparison further (I have not yet found a good indie in my area, so far having been within the original maintenance plan).

Any who, a big part of this is whether or not I should expect to have to replace the disks with the pads. Any insights or other suggestions?
Your analysis appears fundamentally sound.

Regarding rotors, my math may be off, but it appears you'll hit the 20k rotor change during the extended period right? If so, you'll be able to get it covered if you bought the plan, but it'll be tight and timing will be the biggest problem as it'll occur in year two, unless you dramatically up your mileage per year at your current rate.

One omission however is the diesel fuel filter which needs changing every 3rd oil change IIRC. It's like a $40 part if you buy it through online dealership sites. I believe dealer will quote you close to $300 to get it swapped. Indie likely will only charge $150-$200 labor.

Also, your numbers are dealer quotes. IMO, you should use reputable indie labor + DIY parts OEM parts sourcing as your baseline price. That's where I got my number way below extended maintenance pricing.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-20-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

20K rotor change - is there are specified mileage to replace the rotors?

As for the fuel filter, it's been changed once, at the fourth oil change and 37K miles. So, expecting the next fuel filter change wouldnot be until another four oil changes and 37K miles I don't expect to see it.

Your correct that my cost figures for the service items are dealer prices and I expect I can do better with a local indie - just need to find one. Also, the price of the extended service plan is the list price and I might be able to obtain it a lower price. Will obtain an actual quote from my dealer soon.

Back to brake rotors, that appears to approximately double the expected maintenance cost over the next couple of years and 30K miles, so knowing if I should expect to have to do this is a significant part of the trade off.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
20K rotor change - is there are specified mileage to replace the rotors?

As for the fuel filter, it's been changed once, at the fourth oil change and 37K miles. So, expecting the next fuel filter change wouldnot be until another four oil changes and 37K miles I don't expect to see it.

Your correct that my cost figures for the service items are dealer prices and I expect I can do better with a local indie - just need to find one. Also, the price of the extended service plan is the list price and I might be able to obtain it a lower price. Will obtain an actual quote from my dealer soon.

Back to brake rotors, that appears to approximately double the expected maintenance cost over the next couple of years and 30K miles, so knowing if I should expect to have to do this is a significant part of the trade off.
No firm mileage on replacement, your sensors will tell you when it's time, and it's been accurate in my experience. You replace rotors when it reaches its minimum thickness. My car's replacements has come at 24k and 20k miles.

The cheapest OEM parts I was able to piece together is $400 for the front rotors/pads/sensors, and indie labor was $200.
      04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Do the sensors indicate brake rotor thickness? I thought only pad thickness.

So you had to replace your rotors at 24K and then again 20K later?

Based on sensor data, my front pads won't be due for another 20K and the rears another 9.3K, which would put replacement at a total mileage of 65K and 54K, respectively (and these are the original pads). But I'm still unclear as to when to anticipate rotor replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Do the sensors indicate brake rotor thickness? I thought only pad thickness.

So you had to replace your rotors at 24K and then again 20K later?

Based on sensor data, my front pads won't be due for another 20K and the rears another 9.3K, which would put replacement at a total mileage of 65K and 54K, respectively (and these are the original pads). But I'm still unclear as to when to anticipate rotor replacement.
I'm unclear myself. I own a E70, and while the CBS may be the same as the F15, my sensors barked at me and stated brakes needed servicing. I can't find a picture online of the exact message on the idrive, but the red brake light was on the gauges 100% of the time. I recall the idrive message also said something about servicing brakes without being too specific on pads and/or rotors. Basically, for me the pads definitely needed replacing. It is recommended you also need to do rotors AND sensors when you replace pads. When I took my car in, I had them also measure my rotor thickness and behold the rotors also reached its minimum thickness. Looking at my historical service records, my rotors have always been replaced with the pads at those intervals under the original maintenance plan and extended maintenance plan (I bought my car used and it came with the balance of extended maintenance)

In anyways, you can always go to the dealership (even if you're out of warranty/maintenance plan), and have them scan your key. They will have the exact breakdown for you of your mileage left of each service. Their readout doesn't discern pads and rotors, which leads me to also believe the dealer recommends a full replacement every time. You should expect to swap rotors and sensors every time you do pads and you can expect to get the full replacement if you purchase the extended maintenance.

When my indie finished the brake job, I still had to reset my CBS. The only way to reset it was within the "brake pad" part of the CBS. So, there's not separate rotors section of the CBS.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-21-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0