BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

03-16-2017, 12:02 AM   #1
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3; 2012 E88 135i

Keen to hear some Exhausts in Sydney

Hi folks in Sydney,

Anyone in the Sydney metro area have aftermarket catback exhausts installed on their M3? Very keen to listen to it in person as I can't make my mind up listening to a lot of them on youtube. Youtube makes all of them sound good. Basically, I'm after a not-too-overly-loud catback system (one that doesn't scream too loudly under load) but which will still give an deep aggressive tone....and also lighter in weight as OEM is too heavy. I've currently got test pipes installed and previously had 2.5 pipe OEM exhaust mod which was an awesome sounding setup but was way too loud...so went back to factory which is too subtle..

I've narrowed down my preference to the list below:
Anyone got any of the below and keen to show, please let me know.
Thanks.

Borla S or ATAK
Remus Sports
M Performance
Corsa
Akrapovic Evo
Agency Power

Last edited by Josparky; 03-16-2017 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
M3CRZY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

http://eisenmann.com.au/product/eise...-76mm-inconel/

very deep american muscle car sound , but very very expensive , but that is what i want for my car .
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #3
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CRZY View Post
http://eisenmann.com.au/product/eise...-76mm-inconel/

very deep american muscle car sound , but very very expensive , but that is what i want for my car .
Ya... but with test pipes I'd think it'd be too loud for me...
Even the OEM modded exhaust scared the crap out of people when downshifting... sounds very good at idle and normal driving but soon as you give it some and when it downshifts, i could tell it annoys the heck out of a lot of people ...
      03-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
bertbert
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have akra on.. Let me know in advance and i can drive to City..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #5
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparky View Post
Ya... but with test pipes I'd think it'd be too loud for me...
Even the OEM modded exhaust scared the crap out of people when downshifting... sounds very good at idle and normal driving but soon as you give it some and when it downshifts, i could tell it annoys the heck out of a lot of people ...
Yes that could be very loud with test pipes , or it could sound perfect . do you have the DCT also ? There should be a on or off switch for the rev matching , cos I run my DCT on the second bar and that stops it rev matching on this car , not sure how it all works for certain , and sometimes it rev matches right when u dont want it too , when someone is walk close by , ooops "sorry" hehe and my car has standard exhaust , but the induction noise gets so loud when it rev matches , which is a awesome sound to us owners !
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ya... got dct... in second bar, mine still rev matches sometimes...
      03-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Hi folks in Sydney,

Anyone in the Sydney metro area have aftermarket catback exhausts installed on their M3? Very keen to listen to it in person as I can't make my mind up listening to a lot of them on youtube. Youtube makes all of them sound good. Basically, I'm after a not-too-overly-loud catback system (one that doesn't scream too loudly under load) but which will still give an deep aggressive tone....and also lighter in weight as OEM is too heavy. I've currently got test pipes installed and previously had 2.5 pipe OEM exhaust mod which was an awesome sounding setup but was way too loud...so went back to factory which is too subtle..

I've narrowed down my preference to the list below:
Anyone got any of the below and keen to show, please let me know.
Thanks.

Borla S or ATAK
Remus Sports
M Performance
Corsa
Akrapovic Evo
Agency Power
Can't go wrong with Akrapovic Evo however I have x pipe with valved Remus mufflers. I get lots of compliments

03-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I have the evolve full exhaust, always around the sydney city area if you want to hear it.

Just shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.
After hearing a few M's...I've chosen to go a different path.
Ordered the Agency Power from the US.
Having the OEM exhaust mod for some time, the other common ones were very similar in tone. The valve-tronic ones seem to be too pricey. For non valve-tronics, Akra sounds the best I reckon but also too pricey.
Agency Power was very good value and had a complete different tone to the rest especially with test pipes. Very deep rumble and bubble sound...Also like the titanium burnt tips which is different to other systems... was able to negotiate price to around $2k delivered to Aus....which I think is absolutely good value. Will take some snaps once installed along with a video..
      03-20-2017, 03:09 AM   #10
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.
After hearing a few M's...I've chosen to go a different path.
Ordered the Agency Power from the US.
Having the OEM exhaust mod for some time, the other common ones were very similar in tone. The valve-tronic ones seem to be too pricey. For non valve-tronics, Akra sounds the best I reckon but also too pricey.
Agency Power was very good value and had a complete different tone to the rest especially with test pipes. Very deep rumble and bubble sound...Also like the titanium burnt tips which is different to other systems... was able to negotiate price to around $2k delivered to Aus....which I think is absolutely good value. Will take some snaps once installed along with a video..
Agency Power sounds just like you mentioned , I like it !! Thats great value too ,, it does not look as nice up under there as other more expensive systems , but hey i would buy it also . Will be waiting for pics and vid. !
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #11
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agency Power sounds just like you mentioned , I like it !! Thats great value too ,, it does not look as nice up under there as other more expensive systems , but hey i would buy it also . Will be waiting for pics and vid. !
Thx buddy.
Lighter than stock too.
Stock 25 kilos
AP 17.2 kilos
      03-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #12
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

let me know once installed, want to hear it in person , meet again at ikea?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sct911 View Post
let me know once installed, want to hear it in person , meet again at ikea?
Ya man..! Could gather some more M3 folks and go for a quick cruise or something..

Agency Power with primary cats would be too quiet though. I heard one with aftermarket xpipe no primary or secondary cats and it sounds freak' awesome.
I'm running stock x pipe with secondary cats and resonators but no primary cats so looking forward to hearing what it'll sound like.

Last edited by Josparky; 03-20-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
Can't go wrong with Akrapovic Evo however I have x pipe with valved Remus mufflers. I get lots of compliments

Mate... that sounds good
Love those Remus angled tips..
Valvetronics... expensive
      03-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm hoping mine will sound something like this installed...

03-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Have you listened to that exhaust with head phones on , to me it,s loud !!, great sound , i could not have it that loud where i live , neighbors would not be happy lol I have listened to a vid with cat back and it's just right for me.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ya...as I'm running stock x-pipe which still has secondary cats but with test pipes, I'd imagine mine would be somewhere in the middle of those two cars in those two video in terms of loudness.
The blue M3 in the video is running AP x-pipe which has no primary and no secondary cats...hence very loud but love the aggressive deep throaty tone.
Pretty sure the Challenge x-pipe on the white M3 has both secondary cats and HFC's as primarys...hence a lot quieter... too quiet for my liking..

So if I run stock x-pipe with secondary cats but no primarys, I'm hoping the sound will sit somewhere in the middle of the two. Wish to maintain that deep aggressive throaty tone like the blue M3 but would like it a tad quieter..

Last edited by Josparky; 03-20-2017 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #18
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Agency Power exhaust arrived. Excellent build quality. Extremely lightweight compared to stock.
Exhaust removal and install DIY job yesterday for the 1st time...I dunno how some guys manage to do this in less than 1 hour...
Took me over 3 hours by myself with rear wheels on a car ramp to take stock exhaust off and new exhaust installed. For those novices out there (me included) it's much harder than it looks. Taking off the stock wasn't so hard but installing the new exhaust was a pain in the b@tt...Would be slightly easier if you had two separate exhaust types (ie Akra, Borla, Corsa, etc)... if you have the one piece type (ie M-Performance, Meisterschaft or Agency Power) it's hell trying to get them to align with the mid pipe and then trying to bolt all the nuts in place... combination of pushing up the exhaust and using one hand to screw the bolts all lying on your back with exhaust sitting on top of your stomach. You won't get much clearance with those car ramps...you'll see what i mean once you try...
Definitely would be easier once you have done it once but for the first timers, it's gonna be pretty challenging to do by yourself.... recommend get help from a friend if it's your first time or just get a shop to fit. But all good for the experience.

Exhaust sounds very deep and throaty as expected. It's more like an American Muscle car sound..with a slight raspiness to it due to test pipes. Must admit there is a slight drone at around 2k. Wondering if changing mid pipes which will have different xpipe and resonators will get rid of the drone..

But very happy with it so far.
      03-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #19
M3CRZY
Private
Rep

Ok cool ,, what does it sound more like , the blue e90 video or the white e92 ?

Can,t wait to see the video of the sound ,

That seemed very quick from overseas shipping ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok cool ,, what does it sound more like , the blue e90 video or the white e92 ?

Can,t wait to see the video of the sound ,

That seemed very quick from overseas shipping ?
Sounds in between the Blue one and the White one. The Blue ones got no cats at all so sounds more aggressive.
When you go 3k and above, it sounds perfect. 2k and below there's a bit of drone if not in lower gear...
But doesn't have that deafening sound you get with OEM exhaust mod.
OEM exhaust mod sounds really good at low and mid range rpm...but very deafening when wot.... this agency power sounds better when you go higher in the rpm range... deep throaty tone.... with bit of rasp. It's awesome for a $2k system I reckon. Rear end feels so much lighter.

Whole thing came from the US in 6 days... lol... fast

Last edited by Josparky; 03-24-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #21
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M2 F87

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds in between the Blue one and the White one. The Blue ones got no cats at all so sounds more aggressive.
When you go 3k and above, it sounds perfect. 2k and below there's a bit of drone if not in lower gear...
But doesn't have that deafening sound you get with OEM exhaust mod.
OEM exhaust mod sounds really good at low and mid range rpm...but very deafening when wot.... this agency power sounds better when you go higher in the rpm range... deep throaty tone.... with bit of rasp. It's awesome for a $2k system I reckon. Rear end feels so much lighter.

Whole thing came from the US in 6 days... lol... fast
Did you have to pay any Duties and taxes on the import?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #22
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rod View Post
Did you have to pay any Duties and taxes on the import?
None