BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

KWv3 Sagging Driver's Side Rear

As the title suggests, my recently installed coil-overs are sagging on only this one corner and I'm stumped. Long story, but my original installer apparently didn't know what he was doing, and back in August 2016 installed the rears with only the main spring, leaving out the helper. He also sat the main spring on the stock rubber mount. Insisted more than once that the helper's wouldn't work. To compensate he dumped the front to max low.

Didn't take long to determine that the car was way too low to be practical. In short, I put my H&R springs back on the rear, and adjusted my fronts back up so I was about an inch lower than stock.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Finally found the time to get the car on jack stands to try reinstalling the KW springs correctly. After a few emails back and forth to KW, it turned out to be a rather simple job to swap out the H&R springs and correctly reinstall the KW springs (purple adapter on the bottom, helper spring on top of that, purple connector next, followed by the main spring, and finally the perch on top). Very simple. Only had to detach the toe link to accomplish this.

I succeeded in matching the height to the H&R springs and went on my merry way. Then things got interesting.

After one day of driving, just by chance, I noticed the rear driver's side seemed lower. Measured it and it had dropped by at least a half-inch. Measured the passenger side rear and there was no change. I adjusted the driver's side rear, and again matched the height on both sides.

After day two of driving (yesterday), I again could easily see the same side had dropped again with no change on the passenger side. Last night I adjusted the driver's side a second time, and now I've adjusted the perch at least an inch higher than on the passenger side to maintain the same height side to side.

With the H&R springs both rear sides were the same height, and for the short time back in August where I had just the main springs, the rear was the same height on both sides.

A visual inspection doesn't seem to show any issues with any components, but I'm stumped as to why this could be happening.

Any ideas?
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats

Last edited by SonnyJack; 03-30-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0