Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 AY F80 M/T

Question My MY2016 F80 has pre-LCI tail lights - why? Update: It doesn't

Does anyone know what the SOP date was for the LCI? I have a 2016 F80 and have pre LCI tail lights and have the chrome accents on the power seat switches. Build date on vehicle is 2015-08-07.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kormega917 View Post
Does anyone know what the SOP date was for the LCI? I have a 2016 F80 and have pre LCI tail lights and have the chrome accents on the power seat switches. Build date on vehicle is 2015-08-07.
That is really odd...
      05-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
That is really odd...
Im just as confused! Can someone clarify for me. there is the normal exhaust, ZCP exhaust (black tips) and the MPE?

'16 F80 AY/Full Black M/T | (CURRENT)

Last edited by kormega917; 05-01-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
That is really odd...
Im just as confused! Can someone clarify for me. there is the normal exhaust, ZCP exhaust (black tips) and the MPE?
Did you buy the car new?
      05-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you buy the car new?
No, bought it with 8K on it. I doubt previous owner would go out of their way to put pre LCI tails on. Car is completely stock and from what i can see, doesnt look like it was ever modded.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Is it possible that the car was in a rear-impact collision and for whatever reason was repaired with older tail lights?

The build date and chrome switches suggest it is indeed an MY2016. Although the latter could of course be switched out by the former owner, it would be a strange thing to "upgrade". At the same time, it seems extremely unlikely an MY2016 would have come from the factory with the MY2015 and earlier tail lights. Not impossible though, I suppose. Some real oddities have made their way out of BMW (and other manufacturers) factories before.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Is it possible that the car was in a rear-impact collision and for whatever reason was repaired with older tail lights?

The build date and chrome switches suggest it is indeed an MY2016. Although the latter could of course be switched out by the former owner, it would be a strange thing to "upgrade". At the same time, it seems extremely unlikely an MY2016 would have come from the factory with the MY2015 and earlier tail lights. Not impossible though, I suppose. Some real oddities have made their way out of BMW (and other manufacturers) factories before.
I agree with the Oddities. Based on carfax and auto check no reported accidents and from me being curious peeling the trunk liners back and being under the car, i dont see any abnormalities or repairs. And from some research, i dont think the two tail lights are a quick plug and play bc of the inner tails wiring (something about inner tails being on vs PRe LCI). I could be wrong however. But yea the car is a 2016 and has pre LCI tails and the exhaust has black tip (ZCP??). The car sounds very throaty when put into M1 and M2. I do get some burble now and then. Kind of mind **cking me.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And from some research, i dont think the two tail lights are a quick plug and play bc of the inner tails wiring (something about inner tails being on vs PRe LCI).
Yes, there's definitely more to it than simply plugging in the lights. And I agree that just makes the possibility of a swap even less likely.

Quote:
But yea the car is a 2016 and has ... the exhaust has black tip (ZCP??). The car sounds very throaty when put into M1 and M2. I do get some burble now and then. Kind of mind **cking me.
The ZCP did not go into production until March 2016, so that would have to have been an aftermarket modification. Perhaps the car isn't as stock as it appears to be?
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10849.00
      05-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

This may be a silly question but can you ask the previous owner if they changed the lights, exhaust, etc.? Or was it bought from a dealer and not a private seller?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there's definitely more to it than simply plugging in the lights. And I agree that just makes the possibility of a swap even less likely.

The ZCP did not go into production until March 2016, so that would have to have been an aftermarket modification. Perhaps the car isn't as stock as it appears to be?
Maybe im lossing my mind, but these dont look like these. Also you can see the exhaust tips. Maybe it was swapped from chrome? I thought the car had optioned regular exhaust, ZCP exhaust (black tips) and then the MPE came out when competition package arrived. Wasnt ZCP exhaust the "performance" option before MPE competition package release?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
This may be a silly question but can you ask the previous owner if they changed the lights, exhaust, etc.? Or was it bought from a dealer and not a private seller?
Bought from a dealer, not a private seller. I wish i had that option to speak with the previous owner!

Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10849.00
      05-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #12
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

But then these are different. I think i might be confusing myself now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

In that pic the AY car is yours? Those are the LCI lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Yes mine is the AY. Ok, well i feel like a DOU**E. Thank you for clarifying this for me. Looking at the YM i attached, the reverse lights are on the top on the inners and then the outters look totally different. What tails are those?!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe im lossing my mind, but these dont look like these. Also you can see the exhaust tips. Maybe it was swapped from chrome?
Hmm, I can't see exhaust except in the third picture.

Quote:
I thought the car had optioned regular exhaust, ZCP exhaust (black tips) and then the MPE came out when competition package arrived. Wasnt ZCP exhaust the "performance" option before MPE competition package release?
No sure I follow you, but there was definitely no "ZCP exhaust" until the ZCP package arrived. I recall that the black ZCP exhaust tips did show up in the parts database long before ZCP was made official though. In fact, I think some people actually ordered and acquired them before the package was ever released. But that fact is probably irrelevant to your situation today.

Furthermore, and more importantly, it is certainly not the tips that determine the sound of the exhaust anyway. I believe this topic was hotly debated, but to the best of my recollection it was determined that it was only the ECU coding that changed (no changes to the physical exhaust system). This further suggests your car has had an ECU flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
I was so busy looking for exhaust tips, I didn't even notice the lights.

LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #17
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe im lossing my mind, but these dont look like these. Also you can see the exhaust tips. Maybe it was swapped from chrome? I thought the car had optioned regular exhaust, ZCP exhaust (black tips) and then the MPE came out when competition package arrived. Wasnt ZCP exhaust the "performance" option before MPE competition package release?
what in the world... none of which you are talking about make sense.

1. The LCI started production in July 2015. ZCP (Competition Package) did not arrive until March 2016.
2. It is not possible for the sports exhaust that comes with ZCP to be installed to a non-ZCP F8x from the factory. The only way of doing so is to buy one after the fact and install it on your own.
3. Just because a car came with black tips doesn't mean it is the sports exhaust. Previous owner could have easily switched out the OEM silver tips and install black tips.
4. MPE (M-Performance exhaust) came out way before the ZCP was even announced. That is a stand alone option that can be ordered from the factory or any third party.
5. When it comes to the taillights, the curved LED design is the LCI. The straight L-shape lights signify the original design. Also, the reverse light is on the bottom in the LCI version, whereas the pre-LCI reverse light is located on the top.

If you car looks like the Austin Yellow M3 pictures you posted (or the Alpine White M3 below that), then yes, your car is LCI.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #18
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I can't see exhaust except in the third picture.

No sure I follow you, but there was definitely no "ZCP exhaust" until the ZCP package arrived. I recall that the black ZCP exhaust tips did show up in the parts database long before ZCP was made official though. In fact, I think some people actually ordered and acquired them before the package was ever released. But that fact is probably irrelevant to your situation today.

Furthermore, and more importantly, it is certainly not the tips that determine the sound of the exhaust anyway. I believe this topic was hotly debated, but to the best of my recollection it was determined that it was only the ECU coding that changed (no changes to the physical exhaust system). This further suggests your car has had an ECU flash.
Thank you clarifying this for me about the "ZCP". I have been following some of the hotly debated discussions too. Im aware the tip has absolutely nothing to do with the exhaust note however I'm lead to believe the car was not flashed due to me driving a known stock f80 and it drove very similar. I would assume a flash would be a notable gain in power. However there is the possibility of me being completely wrong about the car being flashed. I wonder how i can tell. Furthermore, i hope it wasn't flashed. I believe i read somewhere of the car were to go to the dealer (I wont for this) but they can tell and there were talks of ppl looking into removing (resetting) that flag on the DME.

Well aside from the point. Maybe the tips were swapped, but i find ppl "selling" a ZCP exhaust that looks very similar to the stock exhaust but just with black tips. And the difference between them is the exhaust note. Im coming from the E9X platform and i figured it would be similar (the stock exhaust internals had a pipe with holes and the performance exhaust was the same thing but a solid pipe internally). Hence my curiosity for this system i have.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #19
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
what in the world... none of which you are talking about make sense.

1. The LCI started production in July 2015. ZCP (Competition Package) did not arrive until March 2016.
2. It is not possible for the sports exhaust that comes with ZCP to be installed to a non-ZCP F8x from the factory. The only way of doing so is to buy one after the fact and install it on your own.
3. Just because a car came with black tips doesn't mean it is the sports exhaust. Previous owner could have easily switched out the OEM silver tips and install black tips.
4. MPE (M-Performance exhaust) came out way before the ZCP was even announced. That is a stand alone option that can be ordered from the factory or any third party.
5. When it comes to the taillights, the curved LED design is the LCI. The straight L-shape lights signify the original design. Also, the reverse light is on the bottom in the LCI version, whereas the pre-LCI reverse light is located on the top.

If you car looks like the Austin Yellow M3 pictures you posted (or the Alpine White M3 below that), then yes, your car is LCI.
Yea i think i confused myself. As for #3, i was seeing some cars come with the black tips which lead to my questioning of "ZCP" vs MPE. Thank you for clarifying the dates for me. Possible previous owner swapped tips. Oddly just swapped tips and did nothing else but 100% possible or i just dont know what else was changed and then swapped back.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Yea i think i confused myself. As for #3, i was seeing some cars come with the black tips which lead to my questioning of "ZCP" vs MPE. Thank you for clarifying the dates for me. Possible previous owner swapped tips. Oddly just swapped tips and did nothing else but 100% possible or i just dont know what else was changed and then swapped back.
no problem. back when ZCP was *not* available, changing the tips was very popular (still is i think) and OEM black tips were on sale directly from BMW. i think thats where the confusion lies. Also, the M-Performance exhaust looks completely different to the regular or ZCP exhaust... completely different muffler design and completely different tips as well (CF or Round Titanium tips).
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you clarifying this for me about the "ZCP".
You know what - forget what I said about ZCP exhaust changes being all software. I was thinking of the debate about MY2015 vs. MY2016, before the ZCP was even announced. Some said the MY2016 sounded louder/better/whatever, others disagreed. Debates ensued because there were no part changes between the two model years.

ZCP on the other hand *does* have a unique exhaust from the standard car. It is definitely not the $4000 M Performance exhaust, but it is an upgraded part from the standard exhaust.

But then this is completely irrelevant anyway since your car does not (and could not - unless it were so modified by the previous owner) have ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
kormega917
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You know what - forget what I said about ZCP exhaust changes being all software. I was thinking of the debate about MY2015 vs. MY2016, before the ZCP was even announced. Some said the MY2016 sounded louder/better/whatever, others disagreed. Debates ensued because there were no part changes between the two model years.

ZCP on the other hand *does* have a unique exhaust from the standard car. It is definitely not the $4000k M Performance exhaust, but it is an upgraded part from the standard exhaust.

But then this is completely irrelevant anyway since your car does not (and could not - unless it were so modified by the previous owner) have ZCP.
O believe me, I WISH I had the MPE! lol. I read what you read about the note differences and debates but how can i tell if my car has the upgraded ZCP exhaust? im reading that it is the same part number. From you last statement, im assuming ZCP exhaust was not yet available coinciding with my production date?

Appreciate 0