BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
foxwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6 35i

Music Library Hard Drive

I just purchased my first BMW on Sunday and I put in a 16GB USB drive and was able to upload all the music to the hard drive.

I then cleaned off the USB drive, added more folders from my computer's hard drive to the USB drive. I then uploaded the music. Seems fine so far.

When I did a music search, all the uploads after the initial load seemed to go into FOLDERS and not where the music is on the cars hard drive. So how do I move the folders to be able to be seen when I choose the Music Library?

Hope this makes sense.

I have a 2017 X6.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

On the second upload your music files probably were not "tagged" and the car's uploading system had no choice but use the folder system as the way your music was organized.

If you already know what "tagged" means, then first look at your music files on the USB with a tagging program (such as "Tag&Rename", or similar), choose and save your tags (and artwork if needed) and then reload all the tagged files on the car's disk.

If not, here a brief introduction on tags:

"tags" are extra bits that can be added on a music file (.mp3 or .flac or similar); these "tags" enable the car's music program to search your stored music according to: album, composer, artist, genre, etc.; it takes a little effort to learn about the "tagging system" but it will save you a lot of time and frustration in the future; most tagging programs gave good introductory help files to get you started.

On this subject there is a lot of additional good advice from other members in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

IIRC, every upload is put into a top level folder on the X5's HDD. The uploaded song files will appear in this folder and in the folders they were uploaded from.

I say 'IIRC', because it's been so long since I've uploaded songs to the HDD or, for that matter, played those songs, because a long time ago I instead decided to simply play songs off of a USB drive I keep plugged into the X5's USB port.

Simply keeping a USB drive plugged into the X5's USB port and playing songs directly from this avoids having to upload songs and, importantly, makes it very easy to maintain the song library. If I want to add songs or a playlist (or edit a playlist), I do this on my computer, plug the USB drive into the computer and copy the data, then plug the USB drive back into the X5 where it sits until the next time I want to make a change.

Further, I have a 'master' folder on my computer with all the folders, song files and play lists (songs and folders from My Music folder on my PC) that is an image of I keep on the USB drive. I have two, identical USB drives that I keep in each of our Bimmers so that when I want to make an update, I make the change on my PC, then plug in the USB drives from the Bimmers, copy the new data, then plug them back into the Bimmers.
Appreciate 0