BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Weight Saving Vert's only

Is there anything you vert guys do to help save some weight? I did some searching and found a lot of stuff regarding the coupe and sedan but not so much vert info. I do realize some vert/coupe stuff swaps over but I'm wondering is there is anything I can do to help close that 400lb + gap from the coupe's. I like my vert and I'm happy with it, Im just wandering how I can start shaving some real weight without doing things like $5k carbon fiber doors and such. I would like to clip off 200lb's or so If I can even if its just the usual stuff like a light weight battery and new exhaust etc...

Im asking about the stuff thats not so common I would say.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Why yes, there is something you can do...so glad you've asked, and yes, you did come to the right place!
First find a local detailer to make your vert sparkle. Then list your car for sale. Next find a 2011 e90 ZCP with sunroof and buy it before someone else with a vert reads this and beats you to it. Finally, sit back, smile and enjoy life knowing you've got the best of both worlds!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Why yes, there is something you can do...so glad you've asked, and yes, you did come to the right place!
First find a local detailer to make your vert sparkle. Then list your car for sale. Next find a 2011 e90 ZCP with sunroof and buy it before someone else with a vert reads this and beats you to it. Finally, sit back, smile and enjoy life knowing you've got the best of both worlds!

Yes first post useless

A sunroof is comparable to a vert like buying an 02 boxster and saying you have a porsche.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin
Quote:

Yes first post useless

A sunroof is comparable to a vert like buying an 02 boxster and saying you have a porsche.
Yes I agree, that's why I took your advice and traded in my 02 boxster for a gt3...now I've got a real P car!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Add power. Since the very has 10% more weight it needs 10% more power just to equal an E90/92.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I agree, that's why I took your advice and traded in my 02 boxster for a gt3...now I've got a real P car!
Bastard! lol I'l most likely be getting a GT4 next year.

I will add power as well but I'd like to do a little bit of both
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

there is no weight to be lost in the doors, all the cf doors available get rid of the side impact bars (that is where the real weight is, not the door cards or outer skin).

get a carbon trunk (-20lbs), light weight battery (-50lbs), carbon hood (-10lbs), racing seats (savings vary), keep your washer fluid at a minimum (-8 lbs), burger cabin filters (-8lbs), lightweight exhaust (-35lbs+), lighter wheels (-30 lbs total), lighter brakes (-40 lbs total), carbon driveshaft (-12 lbs).

getting light and still looking good is expensive, but that wasn't the topic of discussion.
      05-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Yep. Pretty easy to lose 100-150lb. For instance on the vert if you're only using it as a 2-seater, put the windblocker up and pull those rear seats out.

Beyond that and you start cutting into functionality of the car. I personally would not attempt putting race seats in a vert because the belts are integrated in the seats.

Other miscellaneous items: headlight washer fluid nozzles and pump: about 2.5lb, code it out; remove superfluous trunk trim, about 2.5lb-5lb (but be careful on a vert, lots of moving parts back there)

In other words, other than wheels, battery, pulling the rear seats, and the exhaust stuff (especially because xpipes are both lighter and add 15-20hp) don't bother
      05-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yea im not willing to lose functionality, so ill stick to basics and as far as wheels I have the 19's and they are very light for an oem wheel so I doubt ill save 30lbs on wheels unless I go carbon fiber which ha this isnt that nice of a car lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Richbot
Major General
Rep

You can drop 6-7lb per wheel using stock-sized Apex 18's for instance. Apex 17's (which fit over stock brakes) or 18" volks are good for a 30lb-ish savings over 220M's using stockish tire sizes.

Most people don't lose that much weight when they go to lighter wheels because they're also using heavier, wider rim widths with heavier, wider performance tires with stiffer, heavier sidewalls. But if you have the self-discipline to stick with an 8.5" or 9" front and 9.5 rear and 245-255 front and 265-275 rear PSS or Contis, the package stays nice and light.

I wouldn't recommend chasing weight too much in the wheels though, you want a wide front wheel to make a fat car turn

Last edited by Richbot; 05-24-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
You can drop 6-7lb per wheel using stock-sized Apex 18's for instance. Apex 17's (which fit over stock brakes) or 18" volks are good for a 30lb-ish savings over 220M's using stockish tire sizes.

Most people don't lose that much weight when they go to lighter wheels because they're also using heavier, wider rim widths with heavier, wider performance tires with stiffer, heavier sidewalls. But if you have the self-discipline to stick with an 8.5" or 9" front and 9.5 rear and 245-255 front and 265-275 rear PSS or Contis, the package stays nice and light.

I wouldn't recommend chasing weight too much in the wheels though, you want a wide front wheel to make a fat car turn
I see what your saying but Im not going to go down to 18's, realistically 18's are probably going to make the biggest different on the track with a little lower center of gravity. So if I stay with 19's saving a lot of weight would be quite hard outside of a 1lb or 2 a wheel at most. I always run PSS tires, I think with how heavy the vert is it would be better to have wider tires and stance and just break even on weight. The oem 19's are very light for an oem wheel which is smart for bmw but means the rims are near maxed out for a 19 unlike a lot of other manufacturers.

I think i somebody had the money making all carbon vert top parts would be the best along with the trunk. Anybody make a CF vert trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Won't change CG unless you change tire diameter wheel diameter has no impact
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Stock wheels are heavy whether 18 or 19. Apex ARC8 are cheap and light. And as richbot says think about 17s if you really want to save weight (in which case you would be into performance and would not have bought an overweight vert) -- they clear stock brakes and tires are cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Won't change CG unless you change tire diameter wheel diameter has no impact
It does change center of gravity for sure when you stay with the same size tires.

If you go from a 255/35/19 to a 255/35/18 it'll be an overall inch difference, It's simple math to know this. Unless your referring to how you can get a 40 series sidewall for 18's compared to a 30 series sidewall when you go 19's, that is somewhat true but still kind of wrong considering your talking about the sidewall height which is a percentage of the width of the tire and then itll change sidewall height but not by much.

Off topic- Even though the car does ride better with 18's. My Z coupe felt so much nicer with 18's with a bigger sidewall. Plus a harder ride doesn't always make a better handling car as stiff cars especially on backroads can get out handled all day by softer cars because they can soak up bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
It does change center of gravity for sure when you stay with the same size tires.

If you go from a 255/35/19 to a 255/35/18 it'll be an overall inch difference.
Who would do that? It's not the way you go up or down in wheel sizes. This is very basic.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Who would do that? It's not the way you go up or down in wheel sizes. This is very basic.
Well the car comes with optional different size wheels. Also on the track this is done by people to keep sidewall rigidness and get the lower center of gravity while maintaining the same sidewall flex. So to answer your question that's why its done its very basic since I'm now going to be a dick also. Plus you cant just swap out rims and change up tire sizes and get the same performance always as the bigger the sidewall the more flex it has. I'm not sure how else to explain it to you. Having said this I have worked for 2 different major tire manufacture's and have gone through courses on tires(which will make your eyes glaze over). Sure you can go to a smaller rim and a bigger sidewall but you'll lose rigidness to maintain the same overall diameter. Not saying rigid is always great but that's the basic facts of the situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #17
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Changing aspect ratio as needed to maintain the same diameter is a very basic part of changing wheel diameter. We all know this. I have probably been altering wheel and tire sizes longer than you have been driving, possibly even longer than you have been alive. Again, what you are trying to exaggerate or be pedantic about is basic stuff anyone can read about on tire rack or in a car magazine.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #18
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
I think i somebody had the money making all carbon vert top parts would be the best along with the trunk. Anybody make a CF vert trunk?
Here you go
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380091
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Changing aspect ratio as needed to maintain the same diameter is a very basic part of changing wheel diameter. We all know this. I have probably been altering wheel and tire sizes longer than you have been driving, possibly even longer than you have been alive. Again, what you are trying to exaggerate or be pedantic about is basic stuff anyone can read about on tire rack or in a car magazine.
My whole point was to lower center of gravity so it would be stupid to change the aspect ratio when trying to get to a point of changing the center of gravity, Your point was a completely different then the one I was trying to make. Considering I'm not 16 with my first car I'm assuming your in your 60's 70's. It's basic but you skipped over the point to justify yours which is an awesome way to insert yourself into the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Damn vert parts are expensive lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
CPWINCH