BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Lebby83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Looking to buy a 2013 E92... Have some ?'s

Hey everyone - New member here looking to possibly purchase a 2013 E92 with the competition package, but I have a few questions that hopefully you all can help with. I have had a Cayman S, BRZ and most recently a Golf R, thinking it's time to try out a M.

1. Anything I should be on the look out for or make sure I take a look at when it comes to the 2013's?

2. Any issues with the V8 that I should be aware of? Any issues with the DCT trans?

3. This car will attend 3-5 HPDE's a year - I have heard M3's have had a overheating issue while running at the track. Does this include the 2013 or earlier cars?

4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any input you all can provide. Truly appreciate it!

Rob
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post
Hey everyone - New member here looking to possibly purchase a 2013 E92 with the competition package, but I have a few questions that hopefully you all can help with. I have had a Cayman S, BRZ and most recently a Golf R, thinking it's time to try out a M.

1. Anything I should be on the look out for or make sure I take a look at when it comes to the 2013's?

2. Any issues with the V8 that I should be aware of? Any issues with the DCT trans?

3. This car will attend 3-5 HPDE's a year - I have heard M3's have had a overheating issue while running at the track. Does this include the 2013 or earlier cars?

Rob
If you familiarize yourself with the Search This Forum feature on the main page, you will be amazed at the riches you will uncover!

P.S. The S65 is sublime!
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6033.00
      08-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post

Rob
Just popped your "appreciate cherry". 2011-2013 are identical vehicles. Shoot Roastbeef a private message and introduce yourself. He keeps a thread going that is about racing. He can steer you to it and it is great reading. It's basically a diary for him that he and others contribute to. He is the man to seek advise from on racing.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11591.50
      08-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

sup man, the track forum has tons of info. no real issues with this v8 other than rod bearings, but you'll read a ton of conflicting and/or contradicting info on that subject, and it is all over the forum.

you'll be fine tracking this m3 until you supercharge it, thats mostly when people run into cooling issues.

this has been the most reliable, most fun car i have ever owned.

i don't know if i would call myself the go-to guy, but i know a few things. i'm an amateur, but there are tons of good people in the healthy track forum we have. come poke around in the track forum and say hi.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179
      08-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Search the damn forum, these topics come up constantly and have been answered hundreds of times.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Jesus...if you can't be bothered to help a new dude on his first post, just don't respond and clutter a thread that could otherwise become a decent updated thread. Part of the joy of owning these cars is interacting with the fine members of this community (or what's left of it), and that does not stop at message forums. This car isn't so old that only archives of information are enough.

2011-2013 is indeed virtually the same car. I think though if you get a 2011, opt for a 2011.5 for the updated combox and ability to stream Bluetooth music from your phone.

If you go and try to overengineer parts of the car without upgrading the rest, you'll run into issues. For instance, if you're tracking heavily and are supercharged, beef up your oil and transmission heat exchangers.

Known issues include but are not limited to: idle control valve failure, throttle body actuator failure, rod bearing failure (this is a catastrophic one and on this topic please don't start a new thread), and more common failing parts are O2 sensors and ignition coil packs etc. This car is also subject to the Takata airbag recall and a 2013 is highly unlikely to have been addressed.

The car is pretty strong and for such a high strung performance motor, it is pretty damn reliable. The best thing about it is that no matter how much torque a newer motor can produce with a turbo, or how much quicker of a laptime it can churn out, absolutely nothing can compare to the sound of this motor on downshifts, upshifts and wide open throttle. Honestly, if you can't get into a GT3, this car continues to be the most exhilarating experience within $70,000 either way from the price you're paying for a used one.

Last edited by Edward; 08-16-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 6
      08-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Lebby83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Jesus...if you can't be bothered to help a new dude on his first post, just don't respond and clutter a thread that could otherwise become a decent updated thread. Part of the joy of owning these cars is interacting with the fine members of this community (or what's left of it), and that does not stop at message forums. This car isn't so old that only archives of information are enough.

Thank you Edward for your comments and info. Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0