Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quick introduction, I'm 46 years old guy who spent past 8 years in M3. Started with E92 for 5 years and 80+K miles then an F80 for almost 3 years and 30K miles. My lease on the F80 was about to end I truly didn't feel like getting another M3 just for the change factor however, I also didn't like the turbo and I'm one of those who regretted selling my E92 and being in the F80 showed me how much I loved the NA engine so I did my homework reading reviews, watching YouTube videos and test driving cars till I realized a 2015-16 Porsche 911S is the best next step for me. I realized now after I got it that there are a lot of fine details only someone who had a long seat-time in M3s can provide so that's why I'm writing this post. Please DO NOT take this as a comparison between 911 and M, it's purely intended to help those who are in my shoes when I was looking. I love M3 and the E92 was UNBELIEVABLE, so no disrespect at all to M3. Here it goes

If you haven't figured it out yet that you can't compare Porsche to M by looking at HP and torque figures, yes, you shouldn't. A 400hp Carrera S will probably perform close to a 475HP M3 if there is such a thing, weight plays a role here, also rear engine, traction and a few other Porsche engineering brilliance get those 400hp to wheels very efficiently.

Porsche carrera S price tag doesn't seem all that outrageous once you get to drive it on daily bases, you'll be able to tell there is more quality and attention to details, plus the whole different rear engine experience, it's definitely worth it, so if you can't justify the big difference in price now, that gets better. I mean, after a month in the Porsche you will NOT be disappointed.

It's kinda weird how front wheels don't align when turned all the way in either direction resulting in thumbing and dragging when you're maneuvering it out of parking space. Thanks to all the YouTube videos I watched before getting my 991, I'd have been concerned when that happened first time

The trunk space is actually quite accommodating.

I got my regular Starbucks coffee in the morning and luckily it came with a stopper since it's ridiculously easy to spill some coffee being hanging in that flimsy cup holder right above many buttons and the shifter as well. Once I removed the stopper to drink, I couldn't find a place to put that tiny toothpick size stopper I had to keep holding it!

After 8 years in M3s I got so used to the shift stalk weight, resistance, direction and I have to say it was amazing and smart. It's always in same place. No matter what is it on (except reverse of course which is smart) push forward you down shift, pull back and it upshifts unlike Porsche where if you forgot you have it in D and try to upshift guess what, you just put it in neutral at the moment when you needed the next shift accelerating. But even in M mode the Porsche stalk is heavy and requires significant more effort and distance to shift compared to the light springy short throw M3 shifter. Yet when it comes to the shift paddles, Porsche paddles feel lighter,smoother with a muted click when it shifts compared to the crisp, short throw clicky M3 paddles.

I thought I'll miss the shift lights on the tachometer and the HUD terribly but I am really not. The sitting position, the location of the tachometer makes it much easier to glance at it looking forward. My eye got quickly adjusted to where I need to look also knowing that redline is at 3 o'clock position, I only need to see the tip of the tachometer needle getting from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock

There is so many clicks and buttons to be pushed or pulled in 991 before you move, to customize it to my preferences for example;
Turn radio off (if it was on before you turn car off, it'll be on when you turn it on again🙄)
Turn AC off (always on when you start the car and no setting that will change that)
Push Sport button (not a memorized function)
Pull emergency brake
Move shift stalk to R or D
Get the cup holder out
While in M3 it was much simpler to get it to your specs.

All of the above becomes irrelevant once you take a fast corner and feel the rear confidently tuck in like it's defying physics (for someone who hasn't driven rear engine sport car before) then come out of the corner roaring with unmistakable dominance. Every time that happens I completely understand why I paid a $100k for a used car

Taking off from a standstill isn't a toss up anymore, 911S has a much more predictable take off traction and line than M.

It takes me a few seconds every time I get to my destination to shut the engine off and open the door, everything is in opposite location. The left sided "hand break", left engine off key, put it in park which I never needed to do before. It's been 6 weeks, not sure how long it will take to get this right and quick.

Good visibility unless it's convertible.

2015 911S low end torque is definitely less than F80 but better than E92, overall, no complaints at all.

Call me simple but I think the driver should be able to see or at least tell if the rear spoiler is activated or not, you can't see it when it's up. Yes you feel some turbulent difference back there but I think they should have added some visual quo as well.

I like that the rain sensor is always on. Wipers start once it's raining. M needed a button pushed every time. Same with cruise control, always armed as opposed to F80 it takes to clicks to get there.

For a 46 years old guy who's not in bad shape but not athletic either, getting in and out of 991 was kinda awkward in the beginning but it only took a few days to get over that and figure it out.

I'd pay up to a $1000 if Porsche would flip the upshift downshift directions on the stalk. Which they did 2017 onward, it makes better G force sense. I can feel the difference and that's not a good thing.

The M steering is better (to me) more feedback and precision. The 991 steering is easier, smoother and less "sporty" but a big part of that is the weight difference in front. I could get used to the 991 steering, as opposed to the shift stalk which I may never get used to. Editing on 1/10/18n Now that I've been in my C2S for 3 months, I love the steering feel and I realized that my issue was more of haven't gotten used to how light the front end was initially. The car literally felt like a shopping cart for a while, most weight on rear end but front end is light and playful, now that I got used to that I can enjoy the steering precision and feedback.

I drove my M3 mainly in manual mode, I only used automatic for maybe 5% or less of my 125,000 miles I put on them, usually to drink coffee. I never liked the auto mode in the M3, it was at least 1-2 gears higher than what I want. This 991 is kinda intriguing, driving it on auto is really enjoyable. It feels like it can detect quickly how aggressive you wanna be and stays in lower gears longer till you ease off then it goes to mellow.
One weird thing is that if you put it on sport plus it won't shift till redline even if you lift, it's definitely made just for track, so the only way to drive it on the street in sport plus is if you put it on manual which I do, this way I get the benefit of the stiffer suspension.

After a cold start, PDK takes a good 5min driving to shift as quick as it typically is. That was not very pronounced in DCT. For example your first time to shift 1st to 2nd after a cold start, don't be too alarmed when it takes about a second to actually shift after you click the shift paddle.

I got lucky. Since I decided to get a NA 991 I knew I may never find a used car with everything I wanted and more importantly without what I didn't want. I would go on Porsche website to look for a preowned one and starting with 300+ 911S on the market it came down to 1-2 max after I put my specs. So once I found exactly what I've been looking for in CA, I flew to CA and got it from there. Exact exterior and interior colors with just what I wanted for example;
- Sport steering wheel, the other one (multi functional is made for someone who'll drive it mostly in auto made, but if you like to use shift paddles, you need to get the sport steering wheel)
- Sport Chrono package
- Did NOT want the sport exhaust, I wanted to hear pure engine notes. I truly believe you can make most cars on the street sound good with expensive mufflers but you can't fake a nice engine sound. I know I didn't have to use it but I would have paid more for something I won't use.
- Premium package PLUS (this PLUS adds the Porsche entry and drive) so you don't need to use the key fob. I got used to that for years and really didn't want to go back a step in this area. It wasn't what would make or break the deal but when I found this one with PLUS it was a big motivator.
Appreciate 14
lukej387.00
RickFLM411000.00
georgere585.50
nene136.50
Lee808230.50
jmg18864.50
zamboni1132.00
guess2098516.00
DrtyJrze707.00
      11-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Thanks for the detailed review. Always nice to hear it from an owner's perspective.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Got any pics? Im thinking of getting a Pcar too. Im starting to get bored of my M4 and looking for a new project.... and finding myself looking up Porsches lately. Im trying to educate myself on all the Porsche line up... cuz there so so many!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Thanks for the review,, good info....good read....

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Got any pics? Im thinking of getting a Pcar too. Im starting to get bored of my M4 and looking for a new project.... and finding myself looking up Porsches lately. Im trying to educate myself on all the Porsche line up... cuz there so so many!
Yeah I'm lost in the Porsche line-up as well, there are so many of them I don't know which is what....
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Quote:
Yeah I'm lost in the Porsche line-up as well, there are so many of them I don't know which is what....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Quote:
I was in the same shoes
I drove the new 2017 which is otherwise known as 991.2 and I recognized how fast it was (it's FAST) and this coming from someone was driving an F80 but I still didn't want another turbo. I realized what I missed in the E92 and what I didn't like in the F80 is the engine sound and the linear acceleration. I love to throttle steer and take corners fast, turbo cars to me are less predictable coming out of a corner. So that helped me narrowing it down to wanting 991.1
The one I got is2015 911S, I didn't want 4s because I heard a lot about the intoxicating handling of the 2S and I didn't want to rob myself this enjoyment. Here is a pic, trust me this color combination is probably the hardest to find.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
georgere585.50
JTO245276.00
      11-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Quick introduction, I'm 46 years old guy who spent past 8 years in M3. Started with E92 for 5 years and 80+K miles then an F80 for almost 3 years and 30K miles. My lease on the F80 was about to end I truly didn't feel like getting another M3 just for the change factor however, I also didn't like the turbo and I'm one of those who regretted selling my E92 and being in the F80 showed me how much I loved the NA engine so I did my homework reading reviews, watching YouTube videos and test driving cars till I realized a 2015-16 Porsche 911S is the best next step for me. I realized now after I got it that there are a lot of fine details only someone who had a long seat-time in M3s can provide so that's why I'm writing this post. Please DO NOT take this as a comparison between 911 and M, it's purely intended to help those who are in my shoes when I was looking. I love M3 and the E92 was UNBELIEVABLE, so no disrespect at all to M3. Here it goes

If you haven't figured it out yet that you can't compare Porsche to M by looking at HP and torque figures, yes, you shouldn't. A 400hp Carrera S will probably perform close to a 475HP M3 if there is such a thing, weight plays a role here, also rear engine, traction and a few other Porsche engineering brilliance get those 400hp to wheels very efficiently.

Porsche carrera S price tag doesn't seem all that outrageous once you get to drive it on daily bases, you'll be able to tell there is more quality and attention to details, plus the whole different rear engine experience, it's definitely worth it, so if you can't justify the big difference in price now, that gets better. I mean, after a month in the Porsche you will NOT be disappointed.

It's kinda weird how front wheels don't align when turned all the way in either direction resulting in thumbing and dragging when you're maneuvering it out of parking space. Thanks to all the YouTube videos I watched before getting my 991, I'd have been concerned when that happened first time

The trunk space is actually quite accommodating.

I got my regular Starbucks coffee in the morning and luckily it came with a stopper since it's ridiculously easy to spill some coffee being hanging in that flimsy cup holder right above many buttons and the shifter as well. Once I removed the stopper to drink, I couldn't find a place to put that tiny toothpick size stopper I had to keep holding it!

After 8 years in M3s I got so used to the shift stalk weight, resistance, direction and I have to say it was amazing and smart. It's always in same place. No matter what is it on (except reverse of course which is smart) push forward you down shift, pull back and it upshifts unlike Porsche where if you forgot you have it in D and try to upshift guess what, you just put it in neutral at the moment when you needed the next shift accelerating. But even in M mode the Porsche stalk is heavy and requires significant more effort and distance to shift compared to the light springy short throw M3 shifter. Yet when it comes to the shift paddles, Porsche paddles feel lighter,smoother with a muted click when it shifts compared to the crisp, short throw clicky M3 paddles.

I thought I'll miss the shift lights on the tachometer and the HUD terribly but I am really not. The sitting position, the location of the tachometer makes it much easier to glance at it looking forward. My eye got quickly adjusted to where I need to look also knowing that redline is at 3 o'clock position, I only need to see the tip of the tachometer needle getting from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock

There is so many clicks and buttons to be pushed or pulled in 991 before you move, to customize it to my preferences for example;
Turn radio off
Turn AC off
Push Sport button
Pull emergency brake
Move shift stalk to R or D
Get the cup holder out
While in M3 it was much simpler to get it to your specs.

All of the above becomes irrelevant once you take a fast corner and feel the rear confidently tuck in like it's defying physics (for someone who hasn't driven rear engine sport car before) then come out of the corner roaring with unmistakable dominance. Every time that happens I completely understand why I paid a $100k for a used car

Taking off from a standstill isn't a toss up anymore, 911S has a much more predictable take off traction and line than M.

It takes me a few seconds every time I get to my destination to shut the engine off and open the door, everything is in opposite location. The left sided "hand break", left engine off key, put it in park which I never needed to do before. It's been 6 weeks, not sure how long it will take to get this right and quick.

Good visibility unless it's convertible.

2015 911S low end torque is definitely less than F80 but better than E92, overall, no complaints at all.

Call me simple but I think the driver should be able to see or at least tell if the rear spoiler is activated or not, you can't see it when it's up. Yes you feel some turbulent difference back there but I think they should have added some visual quo as well.

I like that the rain sensor is always on. Wipers start once it's raining. M needed a button pushed every time.

For a 46 years old guy who's not in bad shape but not athletic either, getting in and out of 991 was kinda awkward in the beginning but it only took a few days to get over that and figure it out.

I'd pay up to a $1000 if Porsche would flip the upshift downshift directions on the stalk. Which they did 2017 onward, it makes better G force sense. I can feel the difference and that's not a good thing.

The M steering is better (to me) more feedback and precision. The 991 steering is easier, smoother and less "sporty" but a big part of that is the weight difference in front. I could get used to the 991 steering, as opposed to the shift stalk which I may never get used to.

I drove my M3 mainly in manual mode, I only used automatic for maybe 5% or less of my 125,000 miles I put on them, usually to drink coffee. I never liked the auto mode in the M3, it was at least 1-2 gears higher than what I want. This 991 is kinda intriguing, driving it on auto is really enjoyable. It feels like it can detect quickly how aggressive you wanna be and stays in lower gears longer till you ease off then it goes to mellow.
One weird thing is that if you put it on sport plus it won't shift till redline even if you lift, it's definitely made just for track, so the only way to drive it on the street in sport plus is if you put it on manual which I do, this way I get the benefit of the stiffer suspension.

I got lucky. Since I decided to get a NA 991 I knew I may never find a used car with everything I wanted and more importantly without what I didn't want. I would go on Porsche website to look for a preowned one and starting with 300+ 911S on the market it came down to 1-2 max after I put my specs. So once I found exactly what I've been looking for in CA, I flew to CA and got it from there. Exact exterior and interior colors with just what I wanted for example;
- Sport steering wheel, the other one (multi functional is made for someone who'll drive it mostly in auto made, but if you like to use shift paddles, you need to get the sport steering wheel)
- Sport Chrono package
- Did NOT want the sport exhaust, I wanted to hear pure engine notes. I truly believe you can make most cars on the street sound good with expensive mufflers but you can't fake a nice engine sound. I know I didn't have to use it but I would have paid more for something I won't use.
- Premium package PLUS (this PLUS adds the Porsche entry and drive) so you don't need to use the key fob. I got used to that for years and really didn't want to go back a step in this area. It wasn't what would make or break the deal but when I found this one with PLUS it was a big motivator.
Man I am in your shoes, just a few years behind.
Got any feedback for 911 to be able to take car seat requiring kids around?
      11-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

I have to disagree with the steering feel, but I've had my 991 C2S for a couple years now, so I'm used to it. I think the steering feel is much better than my M4 ZCP, and I got to drive them both back to back in the NC mountains and Tail of the Dragon. I love my 991, I like, and am possibly selling, my M4.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I’ve owned a handful of M3s of various generations. I’ve also owned a couple of caymans. I very much appreciate what the [smaller] M cars are capable of, but Porsches truly are another level. I’ll be back in a cayman one day. This time it’ll be a GT4
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #10
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I’ve owned a handful of M3s of various generations. I’ve also owned a couple of caymans. I very much appreciate what the [smaller] M cars are capable of, but Porsches truly are another level. I’ll be back in a cayman one day. This time it’ll be a GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Completely agree and if I can have my daily driver without backseats I'd definitely go for GT4 but I still need the backseat. As small as it is, my 13 years old fits in it and happy being back here. But omg if I could have this 3.8 in a cayman omg.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      11-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
I have to disagree with the steering feel, but I've had my 991 C2S for a couple years now, so I'm used to it. I think the steering feel is much better than my M4 ZCP, and I got to drive them both back to back in the NC mountains and Tail of the Dragon. I love my 991, I like, and am possibly selling, my M4.
I agree. Porsche still provides the best steering feel and precision despite having moved to an electric system.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
SonicJlee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Great write-up! I drove my 991.1 C2S today for the first time after picking up my 2016 F80 a couple of weeks ago and the 991 did not disappoint. Despite having gotten used to the power of the F80, I did not think the 991 was lacking in power in any way and I still prefer the power delivery of the 3.8L NA engine. I also prefer the PDK over DCT as PDK is faster, smoother, and is better suited for my driving style. The driving experience of the 991 is better in every way to me (I've tracked both my 991 and my previous 2015 F80), but I appreciate the F80 for it's ability to haul the family comfortably while allowing me to have fun.

With the Vorsteiner mini ducktail spoiler, I'm able to see whether the spoiler is up or down from my rear view mirror.

For the person asking about car seats in the 991. I had two forward facing Cosco Scenara Next car seats in my 991 before I got the F80. They fit the rear seats perfectly. For rear facing, I used a Graco 35, attached using the seat beat (the base with the latch clips did not fit). The mountain buggy nano stroller fits in the frunk of the 991 with plenty of room to spare.

Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      11-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

you must not have sport PASM. When I had a 12 without it, I couldnt see the spoiler. my 13 has it and I can see the spoiler when its up on this one.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Congrats OP, I had both a 991.1 GTS and 991.1 Turbo S (not at the same time) and recently moved back to a 997.2 Turbo 6mt. The 991.1 C2S is amazing and you should love it. The backwards shifting with the pdk lever is a little annoying but just use the paddle shifters instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
mbiondo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera 4S (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Congrats OP, I had both a 991.1 GTS and 991.1 Turbo S (not at the same time) and recently moved back to a 997.2 Turbo 6mt. The 991.1 C2S is amazing and you should love it. The backwards shifting with the pdk lever is a little annoying but just use the paddle shifters instead.
May I ask why you went from a 991 to a 997?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

would love to get a 991.2 S one day. I am sold on turbo engines. Porsche does it really well and the Cayennes and Macans i've driven are pretty linear.

I totally get the upside down - / + on the pdk til the '17. It's annoying for me since I enjoy shifting with the "stick" of the dct.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #17
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

My M4 lease is up in Feb and I am seriously considering a Porsche. My dilemma
is I'm looking at the Turbo S, Turbo or GTS, it all depends how much $ do I really
want to spend. Thank you for posting it was very enlightening.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #18
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Hec, for an E9X or an F8X to even be in the same conversation with a purpose built, finely-honed sports car like a 911 is quite a compliment for BMW.

Great review, and good decision.

Some day, I'll own a 911, but for the life of me, I'll have a hard time picking the best one for me. First World Problems though, I am (and we all are) so very fortunate to drive such amazing machines.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #19
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Hec, for an E9X or an F8X to even be in the same conversation with a purpose built, finely-honed sports car like a 911 is quite a compliment for BMW.

Great review, and good decision.

Some day, I'll own a 911, but for the life of me, I'll have a hard time picking the best one for me. First World Problems though, I am (and we all are) so very fortunate to drive such amazing machines.
that's the salient point and the beauty of the M3. massive practicality in an incredibly impressive performance package. Porsche's are better for pure driving pleasure, but it's a question of whether you can forego the practicality that the M3 provides.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #20
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbiondo View Post
May I ask why you went from a 991 to a 997?
Sure – a little long and irrational (as often is the case with fanatical car enthusiasts) but here goes!

I started off with a CPO 2015 GTS 7MT after trading in my E92 M3 for it a little over a year ago. There was no logical reason for that decision other than I longed to own a 911. I loved the GTS but after about 8 months with it, my wife and I discussed consolidating from 3 vehicles to 2. She would keep one of the two SUVs we had and I would still have a fun, sporty car that could also be used as a daily driver. But it had to be a dct or pdk as my wife cannot drive manual and we would need to swap vehicles frequently. So I traded the GTS for a 2015 Turbo S after confirming that she would be ok driving that. I felt the 991 TTS was kind of like a light weight Panamera, making for an amazing, sporty daily driver that would fulfill my wants of an all-in-one car.

But after about 2 months with the Turbo, she still hadn’t driven it and finally confessed that she was afraid to drive it being afraid that she might damage it on her watch. So I shook my head and smiled and debated whether to keep it that point. We still had both SUVs so for a second car, I was left wanting for something else as the 991 Turbo didn’t excite me enough as a weekend, fun kind of car. I considered going back to a 991 GTS again but at that point, the used prices had shot up about $10k from what I paid the previous year and I just didn’t want one bad enough again to pay that much more. My local dealer had both a 2007 GT3 and 2011 Turbo 6mt for sale so I went and checked them both out and fell in love with the Turbo (the GT3 seemed a little worn and was priced a little too high for my liking so I passed on that).

The 997 is more raucous and makes a lot more mechanical noises compared to the 991 Turbo, all in exciting, good ways that I really enjoy. Also, the 997.2 has essentially the same interior and infotainment as the 991.1. I think many who say the 997 looks dated inside often mean the 997.1 but overlook the updates to the .2.

I also love the driving dynamics of the 997’s shorter wheelbase. It just looks, drives, and feels smaller, even though the weight and dimensions are not significantly different. With the 991 generations, I was guilty of chasing magazine and Ring times and never gave the 997 a fair chance. That was mistake on my part as the 997 driving experience is fantastic and for the roads and tracks I drive on, the shorter wheelbase base is well suited to my driving preferences.

In fact, something about my 997 actually feels faster than my 991 TTS, not sure if it’s the gearing or just having a manual and the sensation of in-gear acceleration ripping you forward. On paper, I’m sure it’s not as fast but my physical senses tell me otherwise. The drivetrain has more of a machine-driven feel to it too; whereas the 991 TTS has that floaty jet plane type thrust. In the long run, a PDK 991 will be much easier to find if I ever decide to move back again but in the meantime, I feel the 997T manual offers a more unique experience.

Anyway, they are all awesome cars/gens but I love the blend of old and new in the 997.2.

A funny little side note on styling…my wife and friends could not tell any difference from the 991 other than the 997 is red vs. black in the 991. Most even thought I traded the 991 TTS for a brand new red one! I’m sure this misperception is pretty common among the general population too.

Last edited by Rambler; 11-29-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Congrat's OP. You will love the 991 experience. I moved from 7 M car's in 15 years to a 991.1 4S, then to a 991.1 GTS.

However no way the F80 steering is better than a 991.1 S or GTS. F80 is precise but super numb. Even the M engineers are on record of stating they are removing feel out of their steering. While the 991 is electric, it gives ample feedback and very precise. The GTS is even more feedback and dialed in than the standard 991 S.

I as well am not a turbo fan in a sportscar, which had me leave M after owning an F80 for a couple of months. I would much prefer a N/A M car for $50k than a $100k 911. But such is life

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
zamboni1132.00
      12-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #22
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Congrat's OP. You will love the 991 experience. I moved from 7 M car's in 15 years to a 991.1 4S, then to a 991.1 GTS.

However no way the F80 steering is better than a 991.1 S or GTS. F80 is precise but super numb. Even the M engineers are on record of stating they are removing feel out of their steering. While the 991 is electric, it gives ample feedback and very precise. The GTS is even more feedback and dialed in than the standard 991 S.

I as well am not a turbo fan in a sportscar, which had me leave M after owning an F80 for a couple of months. I would much prefer a N/A M car for $50k than a $100k 911. But such is life
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post

Then you must have loved E92 if you had one. As much as I'm loving my NA 3.8 and enjoy it every day my heart is still thinking about the E92 and I have a feeling if I ever get an unexpected bonus or income , I'll buy one and just keep it forever. I think if mine wasn't colors that I really didn't like, I think I'd have kept it however it was an E92 I got off the dealer lot on the spot so didn't really make it to my taste, yeah that's how much I fell in love with it, bought a black outside black inside car when I don't really like black cars ?). Not sure if that's like wanting to fuck your ex girlfriend one more time thing or is it for real?but I'm pretty sure if I drive one now I'd now in 2 minutes if I'll buy one forever or not.
Appreciate 0