Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Algae in windshield wiper resivouer?

Hey guys,

So i recently had an issue where my windshield fluid wouldn't spray so i took my car to Crevier BMW since its still under warranty and they called me back saying there is algae growing in my tank and charging me $600+ for a replacement. BMW wont cover this under warranty because it is an "outside related issue" (i call bullshit on this one). Have any of you had similar issues and is there any way to get warranty to cover this? Im pretty annoyed at BMW at this point and they said i should always fill it up with windshield wiper fluid. When i told them i get my fluids topped off regularly they turned around and said "we just fill it up with water". Nobody in my circle of car friends has had this happen to them and i'm pretty disgusted regarding them not wanting to satisfy their customer for this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

My dealer fixed this under warranty (cleaned out the tank). And kinda gross, right?

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post
My dealer fixed this under warranty (cleaned out the tank). And kinda gross, right?

Cheers
They finally agreed to cover it. But I wonder if there is any way to prevent this from happening again.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
The following is from a BMW tech forum:

There is a service bulletin on this condition related to your car. I have listed the important areas below.

A buildup of excess manufacturing-related materials on the windshield washer pump strainer. This primarily occurs on lower mileage vehicles.

A buildup of an organic "algae-like" substance on the windshield washer pump strainer. The algae like substance is typically caused by using only tap water in the washer fluid tank or using tap water with a diluted windshield washer concentrate mix.

Explain to the customer the benefits of only filling the windshield washer fluid tank with the appropriate "mixture," because the root cause of the algae is caused by using tap water, especially in areas with warmer temperatures.

Instead of tap water, use distilled water with the concentrate in order to avoid this issue from occurring again.

If algae have been shown to cause the failure of the washer pump, this is not considered a warranty matter. All replaced pumps and strainers will be inspected and tested (almost 50% of pumps have been shown to be working properly and did not need to be replaced).

The windshield washer pump strainer is damaged because "incorrect type" of cleaning fluid use or one which contains an excessive and incorrect amount of washer fluid concentrates. This is not considered a warranty matter.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #5
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Just use Filtered water. It will be even better for your windshield. No mineral deposit on the glass.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

I use a mixture of car-wash soap with tap water then add in 1/4 ratio of isopropyl alcohol, to make sure it won't freeze and help clean the wiper blades from oil-grime. Never had any issue with algae or slimy thingy growing in there.
Appreciate 0