BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
yfzcentral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Warranty transfer? New policy started Aug 13

Just went to take our 2015 in for warranty/service today. Since the car is not in our name as the contract holder (we purchased used when the car was 6 months old), bmw is now stating that we need to be the contract holder for Work.

Never had any issues previously (we are at 49k miles). Service advisor mentioned this just went into effect August 13.

To transfer ownership is $700(!!).

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get it transferred? Without paying.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Do you know the previous owner? Just say you're dropping it off for him.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Partially true. Warranty work will always be covered, no matter who owns it. However, the OEM maintenance contract doesn't transfer anymore. And that went into effect way before August 13th. As in, years ago.

From BMW:

"The BMW Maintenance Program

For model year 2015 or later vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, BMW Maintenance Program coverage is provided for the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Accordingly, BMW Maintenance Program coverage, with one exception, is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of BMW Maintenance Program coverage is that household transfers - transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center - will not terminate BMW Maintenance Program coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage.

The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty - such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included."
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004036.00
      08-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
yfzcentral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Hmm...wonder if BMW started to officially enforce it this week then. Mainly because I have not had issues before.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

So I am interested to understand this - I just bought a 2015 X5 on July 28th that will be under factory warranty until Oct of 2019. So the next service is due in December - does this mean I am not covered for the maintenance? I thought I was....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Got mine two weeks ago and had to deal with the same problem.turned out I got transfer at no additional fee. And added one year of maintenance. Car is still under warranty
It s up to the sales person to give you a price, policy does not state the price.
As a matter of facts one place was $300 the other was $700 and the $700 waive the fee..

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5D MSport View Post
So I am interested to understand this - I just bought a 2015 X5 on July 28th that will be under factory warranty until Oct of 2019. So the next service is due in December - does this mean I am not covered for the maintenance? I thought I was....
Technically, no. But if you have a good SA, maybe?
Appreciate 0