BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Question about modded m3 in for service?

I am close to taking my m3 in for 1200 mile service and I have a question to the people who have done mods to their car. Has the dealer given any complaints,threats, etc. or say anything about what you have done to the car. Did it affect them doing service on the car?
      07-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Depends on what mods you have...: and you'll find what you can and can't have.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Are you leaving your vanity plate on or off?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Are you leaving your vanity plate on or off?
off
      07-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
what mods do you have? List these and that will help us answer your question.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

They might replace the tail lights back to stock for you for free.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
They might replace the tail lights back to stock for you for free.

I think I'm starting to feel bad for this kid. Not yet, but almost. To answer the original question, your tints will have no impact on your warranty. I haven't seen anyone on this board with any mods that could legitimately cause warranty problems. Exhaust ... doubtful. Intake ... probably not. Headers ... maybe. Bored out cylinders and new crankshaft ... well that's a different story.

Last edited by Seth_Horwitz; 07-02-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
12:03
full collapse on impact
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Depends on what mods you have...: and you'll find what you can and can't have.
I hush. If you tell someone to search, the info might be old or out of date. maybe there are OTHERS that want to chime in as well, with newer or better info.

I am working to have that dumb SEARCH smilie removed permanently. If everyone had to search, there would be a total of 20 threads on any given board.

Now if it is something that was discussed/poasted 10 times already this week (see also "eddie griffin wrecked an enzo") then I could see something like that being done. But you jerks tend to call search on EVERY freakin thread posted. It gets REALLY old, and you look like a complete jerk when you do it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:03 View Post
I hush. If you tell someone to search, the info might be old or out of date. maybe there are OTHERS that want to chime in as well, with newer or better info.

I am working to have that dumb SEARCH smilie removed permanently. If everyone had to search, there would be a total of 20 threads on any given board.

Now if it is something that was discussed/poasted 10 times already this week (see also "eddie griffin wrecked an enzo") then I could see something like that being done. But you jerks tend to call search on EVERY freakin thread posted. It gets REALLY old, and you look like a complete jerk when you do it too.
yo, dude, relax. no need for name calling. i was honestly telling him that if he searches he'll find some good info about who has reported having issues at the dealer for certain mods. this topic wasn't "poasted" 10 times this week, but considering how new the e92 m3 is, there really isn't that much old or out of date info on this forum.

i know where you are coming from because people get told to "search" all the time, but you are wrong when you say that there would only be 20 threads on the board.

anyway, do you have any newer or better info?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

the e92 m3 is a newer and better car, so all info is newer and better

i need to know the answer to prince's question also, as my 1200 mile service is coming up and Ill be bring my car in with brembos and kw's....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socale92 View Post
the e92 m3 is a newer and better car, so all info is newer and better

i need to know the answer to prince's question also, as my 1200 mile service is coming up and Ill be bring my car in with brembos and kw's....
you'll be straight with your mods as long as you don't have brake or suspension issues. the biggest thing that will get you banned (permanent void of your warranty) is a piggyback (which i don't think they are around for the m3 yet). idk what mods prince has, but as long as they are just cosmetic mods, he's good.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

dealership saw my Remus Exhaust and noticed how awesome it sounded no complaints whatsoever, but than again as long as you don't touch the cats I don't even consider an exhaust a mod - messing with the ECU settings/chip-tuning or anything really altering the engine will most likely get you in trouble RE: warranty
      07-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

again this is being posted of my iphone, sorry for grammar errors.
Ok I have:
Gp thunders h8 and h3
limo tint
smoked tail lights
Carbon fiber logo emblems all around and steering wheel
carbon fiber grilles
jet black reflectors
Vorsteiner front lip and boot lid
soon exhaust just waiting for them to call and pick it up
      07-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #14
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
Ok I have:
Gp thunders h8 and h3
limo tint
smoked tail lights
carbon fiber grilles
jet black reflectors

Damn iphone? Did you buy it when it was $500? or now at $200? I heard that they raised the phone bill $20 just to balance it though.

Anyways, none of those things will void warranty. Through my experience and my other forum members with modded M's aesthetics will have no affect with ur warranty. HOWEVER, if you change the RTABS, control arms, headers, performance clutch, any other bushings, software then yes you may see your warranty get voided. WHY? because when you run into trouble with ur strut, clutch they may blame those parts.

In addition, once you remove stock brakes, stock trim, stock anything the warranty for that specific thing gets void.

If anyone wants to correct me then let me know b/c i am only speaking through experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

Quote:
Ok I have:
Gp thunders h8 and h3
limo tint
smoked tail lights
carbon fiber grilles
jet black reflectors
youre fine bro!let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #16
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

I brought my M3 to the dealership the other day to show off all the mods and they loved everthing about it. I doubt that they will give me any trouble if I have a warranty issue. They also know that I'm getting a GruppeM intake. Honestly, I think you just have to be nice to the dealership and they will help you out.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

Dude, I think he was just trying to help. I mean the search feature really can be helpful, so why not suggest it?

Also, you seem a bit high strung. Or maybe you just had a bad day? I mean, trying to have the search smilie removed? Wow. And calling everybody jerks isn't really very friendly either.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #18
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #19
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Great cause I am doing my exhaust about a week after I get the car and doubt I'll have my 1200mi done by then. Didn't want any "problems" at service time.

Agree with above...I have a Remus exhaust on my 4.4i X5 which is a CPO vehicle and dealer has never said a thing about it except "nice sound" and that they couldn't re-CPO it if I traded it in as the car has to have certain parts OEM......exhaust is one of em I think along with wheels/brakes and engine.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I would imagine it all depends on your dealer-service writer....if they are cool....then all is good! If not??? Thats another story!!

However cosmetic mods shouldn't matter.....the exhaust really shouldn't either....as long as the cats & O2 sensor are not changed....
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #21
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Even a cool dealer becomes very uncool when a major problem happens. If your engine gets water-locked because you have a cold-air snorkel intake down in the bumper, and drive through a deep puddle, an intake will absolutely void your warranty on that engine. If you have a regular aftermarket intake and your clutch goes, your warranty will be fine. If you put on a Brembo Big Brake kit and your ABS system explodes, you can bet that they will not warranty that claim. If you have that same brake kit and your engine blows on its own, your warranty should be fine. Warranty "voiding" is a pretty common sense issue. If the part that breaks is related to an aftermarket part that you put on, there is a good chance that the dealer will give you a problem. (I'm not going to get into the argument over the dealer having to prove that it caused the problem, as that's more hassle than its worth.) If you do a significant mod on the drivetrain, you may have a problem if anything on the drivetrain breaks. As far as his list of mods, the only issue that is even conceivable is if his electrical system somehow blows because of the different headlamps. (Pretty unlikely)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #22
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok I have:
Gp thunders h8 and h3
limo tint
smoked tail lights
carbon fiber grilles
jet black reflectors
everything you have is cosmetic and does not affect warranty. however, generally speaking, cosmetic mods do tip the suspicion of techs as to if there are any mods to the mechanical parts of the car.

Dont worry...you're all good!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0