BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
jelt110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.5x w/RC RS; M sport

Cosmetic brake work- paint/caliper 'manicure'?

Cleaning up my brakes-

I looks like I have fairly new disks and pads, but the calipers are from 2014- and a bit of rust.

On my old FXT (Subaru), I wire-brushed the surfaces, and painted them with caliper paint. Looked better than it was, but not 'race chic'...

Three questions:

1: Any caveats or issues with the x5's disk brakes I should know about specifically?

(I'm an engineer, polymath, professor, machinist, & pilot, but not a true gearhead.- I can repair, rebuild & bleed brakes, but not as 'swish' as a pro. I have most of the general tools needed, but no BMW specific- and i am brand new to BMW.)

2: What is the difference between engine paint and brake caliper paint? They both should withstand 500°F heat, and have some chemical resistance. Any other differences?

3: I have the "Black Sapphire" color with tinted windows, the M-Sport wheels are silver (probably tint them a darker silver. Any color schemes come to mind?

I'm thinking of making the existing disc hubs which are silver now into a Metallic black or dark metal/silver; the rusty calipers, a medium silver; but then a few parts are left over which could have a highlight or trim colour.

I saw on a release something about a "BMW performance blue" for brakes. Is this a metallic?

I do not want to try to make the stock calipers look like race calipers by painting them, but I would like to clean them up and make them look better than .... ummm.. rust?

So again, any suggestions, ideas, even stuff NOT to do- because it looks bad or is a bad idea- I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt110 View Post
Cleaning up my brakes-

I looks like I have fairly new disks and pads, but the calipers are from 2014- and a bit of rust.

On my old FXT (Subaru), I wire-brushed the surfaces, and painted them with caliper paint. Looked better than it was, but not 'race chic'...

Three questions:

1: Any caveats or issues with the x5's disk brakes I should know about specifically?

(I'm an engineer, polymath, professor, machinist, & pilot, but not a true gearhead.- I can repair, rebuild & bleed brakes, but not as 'swish' as a pro. I have most of the general tools needed, but no BMW specific- and i am brand new to BMW.)

2: What is the difference between engine paint and brake caliper paint? They both should withstand 500°F heat, and have some chemical resistance. Any other differences?

3: I have the "Black Sapphire" color with tinted windows, the M-Sport wheels are silver (probably tint them a darker silver. Any color schemes come to mind?

I'm thinking of making the existing disc hubs which are silver now into a Metallic black or dark metal/silver; the rusty calipers, a medium silver; but then a few parts are left over which could have a highlight or trim colour.

I saw on a release something about a "BMW performance blue" for brakes. Is this a metallic?

I do not want to try to make the stock calipers look like race calipers by painting them, but I would like to clean them up and make them look better than .... ummm.. rust?

So again, any suggestions, ideas, even stuff NOT to do- because it looks bad or is a bad idea- I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
Paint it all black. Painting floating calipers any other colors but silver and black is just posing IMO.

I just did the exact same thing you're talking about. I wire brushed everything back to brand new looking and painted everything with VHT grill paint in gloss black with a ceramic clear for high temp. They came out awesome. I even clear coated the inside of the wheel caps to prevent the corrosion from leaking from the hubs to the painted rims. I also recommend getting heavy duty thick grease and coating your hubs in it cuz they will rust like crazy if they haven't already. My rears were so bad I could get the rims off without a sledge hammer and some 2x12s.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #3
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

vht caliper paint would be ideal, it can withstand up to 900*f and is probably more robust paint for handling brake dust. I used VHT brake caliper paint and primer (2 coat of VHT primer and 3 light coating VHT silver brake caliper paint to match OEM finish. So far it’s holding up well even after spraying down with wheel iron remover when I did a full polish seal and wax.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
jelt110
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Paint it all black. Painting floating calipers any other colors but silver and black is just posing IMO.

I just did the exact same thing you're talking about. I wire brushed everything back to brand new looking and painted everything with VHT grill paint in gloss black with a ceramic clear for high temp. They came out awesome. I even clear coated the inside of the wheel caps to prevent the corrosion from leaking from the hubs to the painted rims. I also recommend getting heavy duty thick grease and coating your hubs in it cuz they will rust like crazy if they haven't already. My rears were so bad I could get the rims off without a sledge hammer and some 2x12s.

Thanks! Maybe a deep blue if they have it in engine temp range, and silver for highlight. It is a little posing as you said, but I have my shallow points like many people.

Were you O5 in the army? 13F 35 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
jelt110
Private
Rep

Rank

Oh, duh. The ranks are forum board usage/ratings. I'm an idiot.... A friend of mine just retired as a Light Colonel from the Army.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt110 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

Thanks! Maybe a deep blue if they have it in engine temp range, and silver for highlight. It is a little posing as you said, but I have my shallow points like many people.

Were you O5 in the army? 13F 35 years ago.
O3 in Navy actually
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
jelt110
Private
Rep

Always painting things in the navy...

I would tease my navy students mercilessly in class- but the Navy is the best electronics school by far. At least navy know how to take a joke. :-) (Don't worry- they gave back in kind.)

By far, though, military people were the best students.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

How about some pics
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
How about some pics
Black
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
      10-09-2018, 01:18 AM   #10
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

G2 is another great caliper paint. They also do custom paint colors.
Appreciate 0