BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

So VTF stands for adjustable lowering suspension - basically they added an adjustable collars and spring perches so you can adjust how low you want to be just like on coilovers (except on coilovers you can also adjust rebound/dampening). Concept is very simple (see picture attached) and there is no electronics involved - it's just static suspension set. Naturally I was wondering why not instal it on my basic spring suspension x5 and have best of both worlds: lower price of spring set and lowering height adjustability of coilovers. Win-win seems to me. Besides lowering range is superb: Front: 1.4-2.2 and Rear: 1.2-2.0!

Now the thing is H&R positions this set for adaptive suspension (with EDC - electronic damper control) - supposedly springs are matched to adaptive shocks. Ok. So now I'm thinking if my non EDC shocks and EDC shocks are somewhat overlapping in dampening specs - then I can use H&R VTF set too!

Both shocks are made by Bilstein - both are gas filled with exception that EDC one has about 20% adjustable range of dampening variation - depending in what mode they are put in: Comfort, Sport or Sport+ mode etc. So that means this H&R VTF set can't be just matched to some specific dampening specs - it has some range of compatibility so to speak. So I'm thinking if my shocks can be close to EDC shocks even in one of modes - that's all I need to know. Any thoughts?

P.S. Also, I don't believe there are mounting or any other differences - so H&R VTF kit should be fully compatible with basic spring suspension as well in terms of physical installation IMHO.
Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 01-21-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
So VTF stands for adjustable lowering suspension - basically they added an adjustable collars and spring perches so you can adjust how low you want to be just like on coilovers (except on coilovers you can also adjust rebound/dampening). Concept is very simple (see picture attached) and there is no electronics involved - it's just static suspension set. Naturally I was wondering why not instal it on my basic spring suspension x5 and have best of both worlds: lower price of spring set and lowering height adjustability of coilovers. Win-win seems to me. Besides lowering range is superb: Front: 1.4-2.2 and Rear: 1.2-2.0!

Now the thing is H&R positions this set for adaptive suspension (with EDC - electronic damper control) - supposedly springs are matched to adaptive shocks. Ok. So now I'm thinking if my non EDC shocks and EDC shocks are somewhat overlapping in dampening specs - then I can use H&R VTF set too!

Both shocks are made by Bilstein - both are gas filled with exception that EDC one has about 20% adjustable range of dampening variation - depending in what mode they are put in: Comfort, Sport or Sport+ mode etc. So that means this H&R VTF set can't be just matched to some specific dampening specs - it has some range of compatibility so to speak. So I'm thinking if my shocks can be close to EDC shocks even in one of modes - that's all I need to know. Any thoughts?

P.S. Also, I don't believe there are mounting or any other differences - so H&R VTF kit should be fully compatible with basic spring suspension as well in terms of physical installation IMHO.
The thing with the vtf kit, they don't provide the resr adjustable perches or springs. The rears are just adjustable links as they are only intended for cars with bags.

Here is a pic of my VTF kit 😜
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
r33_RGSport13053.00
      01-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:

When I was shopping for springs, I found this picture also but I learned (was told by a vendor) that this is just a random stock photo. Probably from another platform. The VTF kit for f15 only comes with links for the rear. I never confirmed with H&R however. It would make total sense that they would make a version for the standard suspension folks.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      01-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Thanks guys! So that explains it - stock photo from some platform that has no relation to x5 f15.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys! So that explains it - stock photo from some platform that has no relation to x5 f15.
Match it with the rear set of springs from older HR. Still like a 1.25-1.5" drop in the rear if I recall.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      01-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Should've search for my posts regarding it.
Posted the actual picture and discussed why it doesn't have rear springs.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      01-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Should've search for my posts regarding it.
Posted the actual picture and discussed why it doesn't have rear springs.
[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGco...sT5K/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Lol
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50