BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
smarty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 F15 35iX M-Sport

Bird poop and paint - bird wins

I didn’t see it earlier, probably been there for a couple of days and had a wonderful chance to fully dry and embed itself on the paint. A thick dropping. Landed right by the right rear door handle and the window edge on my piano black window trim. Luckily I didn’t lower the window in the last couple days, but I did something worse. Saw it when coming back from the supermarket and couldn’t let it sit there. I had water bottle and napkins in my car so got to working. I was able to remove it all but now it see some very fine swirl marks and a quarter size area of lost shine where the damn thing was.

I was planning on getting ceramic coating done (by myself with my friend who has done it before on his vehicle) when the weather got a bit better but now it’s going to drive me crazy until then. I hope the paint correction could get the swirl marks out from the paint by the door handle, but not so sure about the black trim. Anybody else had something like that happen on black window trim and what did they do to fix the paint and get the shine back?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

My detailer was able to remove a big bird bomb by claying and polishing. Not sure if that will work on your trim or not but it worked on my paint really well.
      01-31-2019, 02:19 AM   #3
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Yep, C&P will take care of it.
Good luck.
      01-31-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

You will be able to get it out, but extra care should be taken on the black trim as it does not have a clear lacquer coat. I have used Meguiars Gold Class which has a very mild cutting action and this is enough to remove fine swirls.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Chigger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

I had a freaking turkey flew over my X5, not sure if the wings or feet scratched my hood.

I will need to clay and polish when the snow is gone... Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0