BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

MDrive and Key Settings - Major Design Flaws

OK, time for a small rant...

BMW should have had Apple design their entire iDrive system including two of the worst culprits Navigation and MDrive. All of the M settings buttons (on the transmission tunnel) are pretty screwed up as well. I realize there may be legal or liability reasons for some of the way a car defaults. It seems clear BWM wanted cars without MDrive to still be partially configurable with the buttons on the transmission tunnel and without iDrive. These buttons, lights and overall clarity of the system is absolutely terrible. Seems clear that a major sacrifice in clarity was put in to place more or less to get folks to pay for the Technology Package.

If it were up to me...
  • 1. Key dependent settings only include Power, EDC and shift lights. They absolutely should include DSC, Drivelogic and Servotronic. Can you say arbitrary?
  • 2. Buttons on the transmission tunnel: Why only Power, EDC and DSC off? If the car does not have some options use dummy buttons. They do on cars without EDC.
    • a. There should be a button on the tunnel for Servotronic.
    • b. Buttons should have a light for each mode option, as a light off is poor clarity of design. As well no light on the DSC button is inconsistent.
      • 1. Power: Three lights, normal, sport and sport plus.
      • 2. Servotronic: Should have three modes and three lights as well comfort, normal and sport (i.e. heavy boost, normal boost, light boost).
      • 3. DSC, you guessed it, three lights, on, M mode, off.
      • 4. EDC: The only one close to OK as is...
  • 3. MDrive should also have two (or even three settings). You would have your normal settings be programmed via key dependent settings then MDrive1 could be for attacking the twisties, MDrive2 could be for stop light take offs.

How did BMW screw this stuff up so bad? It is not rocket science to have a clear and consistent interface.

/rant

P.S. I still love this car and its mechanicals and performance are clearly more imortant than the UI.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

i'm with you...definitely a shortsided or lazy design. it is hard to judge without sitting in BMW's seat, but it does seem like they could have done a lot better when it comes to this. in regards to Mdrive1,2,3 I would say that BMW can't make things too complex. Idrive has already taken plenty of hits for being impossible to figure out (which it isn't, but that is a whole nother rant), so they might want to keep it easy in this case.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
stevespools
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK, time for a small rant...

BMW should have had Apple design their entire iDrive system including two of the worst culprits Navigation and MDrive. All of the M settings buttons (on the transmission tunnel) are pretty screwed up as well. I realize there may be legal or liability reasons for some of the way a car defaults. It seems clear BWM wanted cars without MDrive to still be partially configurable with the buttons on the transmission tunnel and without iDrive. These buttons, lights and overall clarity of the system is absolutely terrible. Seems clear that a major sacrifice in clarity was put in to place more or less to get folks to pay for the Technology Package.

If it were up to me...
  • 1. Key dependent settings only include Power, EDC and shift lights. They absolutely should include DSC, Drivelogic and Servotronic. Can you say arbitrary?
  • 2. Buttons on the transmission tunnel: Why only Power, EDC and DSC off? If the car does not have some options use dummy buttons. They do on cars without EDC.
    • a. There should be a button on the tunnel for Servotronic.
    • b. Buttons should have a light for each mode option, as a light off is poor clarity of design. As well no light on the DSC button is inconsistent.
      • 1. Power: Three lights, normal, sport and sport plus.
      • 2. Servotronic: Should have three modes and three lights as well comfort, normal and sport (i.e. heavy boost, normal boost, light boost).
      • 3. DSC, you guessed it, three lights, on, M mode, off.
      • 4. EDC: The only one close to OK as is...
  • 3. MDrive should also have two (or even three settings). You would have your normal settings be programmed via key dependent settings then MDrive1 could be for attacking the twisties, MDrive2 could be for stop light take offs.

How did BMW screw this stuff up so bad? It is not rocket science to have a clear and consistent interface.

/rant

P.S. I still love this car and its mechanicals and performance are clearly more imortant than the UI.
I had the same idea - why not collaborate with Apple for the user interface?
This iDrive setup is fracked up it takes way too much attention away from driving
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespools View Post
I had the same idea - why not collaborate with Apple for the user interface?
This iDrive setup is fracked up it takes way too much attention away from driving
disagree on that one. i-drive adds a lot of functionality to the interior and to the car. there are definitely some areas that it could improve in though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
disagree on that one. i-drive adds a lot of functionality to the interior and to the car. there are definitely some areas that it could improve in though.
iDrive is a great concept - the execution is flawed; non-user friendly
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
iDrive is a great concept - the execution is flawed; non-user friendly
it might not be easy to learn at first, but i think that it has good functionality. guess each person will have their preference...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

if steve jobs is to design the system the whole dashboard will be translucent white, the controls stylish and the navigation computer powered by a 80286 CPU.
and it will cost $5000, mostly for advertising costs.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
if steve jobs is to design the system the whole dashboard will be translucent white, the controls stylish and the navigation computer powered by a 80286 CPU.
a 120GB MacBook is $1099 and is light years beyond iDrive. There is no logic behind the obtuse layout, especially when you consider that you are most likely driving when you are using it. Eventually I will get used to the labyrinthine layout, but it makes no sense how a technologically advanced car manufacturer like BMW could be so cluelessly far behind otherwise
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
a 120GB MacBook is $1099 and is light years beyond iDrive. There is no logic behind the obtuse layout, especially when you consider that you are most likely driving when you are using it. Eventually I will get used to the labyrinthine layout, but it makes no sense how a technologically advanced car manufacturer like BMW could be so cluelessly far behind otherwise
i don't really see where your complaint is??? every car that has a "computer system" has something similar to i-drive. there is logic behind the way that it is organized, and it is pretty easy to maneuver while driving. to say that they are so cluelessly far behind seems a bit dramatic to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Don't get me started on all of this Swamp!

The M-drive user interface is a disaster. The speedometer is also a disaster zone. This is some really basic stuff that doesn't add up. You don't need Apple designers to sort it out. These issues are also my main complaints with the car.

The other one is the "bland" interior styling in general. No visual cues/statements that raise my hearbeat when I sit in the car. The leather and the colors are nice, but that's about it. The rest is just okay with wishy washy lines curving around the dash. As if I'm on a boat. Give me some visual commitment BMW. And a large tach in the middle of the panel. You made the thing rev to 8400 rpms, and did not highlight that as a design/interface feature...

/rant
      07-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
i don't really see where your complaint is??? every car that has a "computer system" has something similar to i-drive. there is logic behind the way that it is organized, and it is pretty easy to maneuver while driving. to say that they are so cluelessly far behind seems a bit dramatic to me.
well, I have to admit that since I haven`t used a similar system in another car, I should rephrase it to say that is it seems far behind the bar they set in every other aspect of the car. I have no doubt if they collaborated with Apple it would be much more streamlined and user friendly. In any event, it is what it is and I will adapt. The car is awesome in every other way, iDrive and M Drive just need some work.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Don't get me started on all of this Swamp!

The M-drive user interface is a disaster. The speedometer is also a disaster zone. This is some really basic stuff that doesn't add up. You don't need Apple designers to sort it out.

These issues are also my main complaints with the car. The other one is the "bland" interior styling in general. No visual cues/statements that raise my hearbeat when I sit in the car. The leather and the colors are nice, but that's about it. The rest is just okay with wishy washy lines curving around the dash. As if I'm on a boat. Give me some visual commitment BMW. And a large tach in the middle of the panel. You made the thing rev to 8400 rpms, and did not highlight that as a design feature...

/rant
+1. would have been nice if they could have done some porsche-esque type of gauge setup with the tach in the center. i've yet to experience the M drive interfact, but i'm not a hater of i-drive. i like it actually.

bmw also could use some interior design work.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
No problems here... Not sure what the issue is.

I have a lot of Apple products but having them design a skin or user flow doesn't make sense, anyone can design UI... and as for an OS (which is more important), these are out-of-the-box configurable OS's from Bosch I believe. It's used by many.

I was in the car for about 20-seconds, when I bought it, and figured out the setting on the center consule without using I-drive.
The buttons on the center console don`t have anything to do with iDrive or M Drive. One of the many problems is that you can`t access most M Drive options with the buttons. I understand how the system works, I `m saying it`s not user friendly, i.e. way too many steps to go to and from your Nav screen to Sat radio to make a call to M Drive settings
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I agree with most of the rant, but three lights idea is just plain wrong.

What BMW has now is correct:
off
dim (one light)
bright (two lights)

For all this talk of user interface, I'm surprised this was missed. Without breaking concentration, a driver can quickly tell the setting from peripheral vision. Three lights would require more concentration to discern the setting. This is cockpit design 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Or make those transmission tunnel buttons key dependant programmable, like the 2 buttons on the steering wheel

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
it might not be easy to learn at first, but i think that it has good functionality. guess each person will have their preference...
My view also

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

No iDrive for me!!!
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #18
stevespools
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsy View Post
No iDrive for me!!!
unfortunately you don`t have the Sport Plus setting, which is incredible
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Not trolling, but this is one of the big things that turned me off about the M3. The idea that I have to program the car every time I go for a drive. The driver should be able to set it and forget it, and any changes to the feel should be easy to make.

I especially think programmable steering feel is going a bit too far. How many of you change the servo back and forth?

BMW should listen to these complaints.
      07-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
Hey everyone look, it's PC from the Apple commercials.

My new iphone was $300 and the UI makes the iDrive feel pretty 80s.

The new iDrive for 2009 looks like a big step forward however. Too bad it doesn't have a touch screen and the iDrive controller. I think their attempt to force all the user controls through the idrive puck really hinders its usability options. Keep it, as it is useful, but also allow the same controls via a touch screen as well perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Hey swamp, you going to the HRE Open House on August 9th? I'll be there (because that's when I finally get to drive my car back home after 2+ months of being without it).
Nope, busy like hell. Is it in So Cal or Nor Cal?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The buttons on the center console don`t have anything to do with iDrive or M Drive. One of the many problems is that you can`t access most M Drive options with the buttons. I understand how the system works, I `m saying it`s not user friendly, i.e. way too many steps to go to and from your Nav screen to Sat radio to make a call to M Drive settings
+1. Perfect response to Laszlo. Completely agreed.
Appreciate 0