ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Car unexpectedly sitting for six months - Advice needed

So I've ended up in a difficult situation. To keep a long story short I am currently in Europe and will be here for the next 6 months while my car is back home sitting in my condo garage.

My main question: Will the BMW LiFePO4 battery be fine when I get back after 6 months of not being used?

If yes, that's great news!

If no, then I need advice because a few months before I knew I would be leaving I actually took off the manual keyhole and replaced it with the IND keyhole cover. In other words, no power, no getting into my car!!! Idiot I know!

I have 3 different options that I could think of:

1) Leave it "as is" and hope it's fine in a deep-sleep state until I get back.

2) I can have a friend open the doors to pop the hood essentially "waking-up" the car and turn back on my LiFePO trickle charger once a month, but it may only run for a few hours at most. "Charging car batteries" is against my condo bylaws so the building staff will ALWAYS unplug it when they see it plugged in. Long story, don't ask.

3) I can have a friend start it and let it idle for ~1hr once a month (Driving is not an option, storage insurance). Idling will also get me in trouble with the condo board because "letting cars idle" in the parking garage is also not allowed, but I really don't care at this point. I'm just not sure if 1 hour of idling once a month is enough to actually charge the battery significantly or not?

Any advice or other recommendations for the best course of action? I'd really hate to get home and have to smash a window just to be able to pop the hood and charge the battery, or worse have the battery completely dead and have to shell out $1500+ for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Justin@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You would probably be best having a friend checkup on it when possible making sure it keeps charge. By the way you would not have to smash window to pop open hood. Just pull key out of the fob and unlock the door manually.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
This is hindsight, but given your condo's restrictive rules regarding cars, your best bet would have been to put it in storage somewhere else where you could plug in a trickle charger.

I know you said that you insurance would prevent your friend from driving it, but is there any way that this could still be done? Are you allowed any time for a trip home where you could take care of this yourself? Three months might be OK, but I doubt six months would be.

Appreciate 2
ando2005.00
      05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
If no, then I need advice because a few months before I knew I would be leaving I actually took off the manual keyhole and replaced it with the IND keyhole cover. In other words, no power, no getting into my car!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@autocouture View Post
You would probably be best having a friend checkup on it when possible making sure it keeps charge. By the way you would not have to smash window to pop open hood. Just pull key out of the fob and unlock the door manually.
OP has already stated that has has removed the lock and this isn't possible.

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Justin@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
OP has already stated that has has removed the lock and this isn't possible.
Oops missed that
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

I left mine for 2 months after i moved house and got loads of error codes which is apparently a sign of low battery, a few drives later and they went away.

This thread may be of interest to you:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1487492
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
This is hindsight, but given your condo's restrictive rules regarding cars, your best bet would have been to put it in storage somewhere else where you could plug in a trickle charger.

I know you said that you insurance would prevent your friend from driving it, but is there any way that this could still be done? Are you allowed any time for a trip home where you could take care of this yourself? Three months might be OK, but I doubt six months would be.
Haha yes hindsight is always 20-20. Like I said, it's a very long story and perfect storm of stupid coincidences which lead up to this situation. It's extremely frustrating because had I known this would have be very easy to avoid.

So I guess I need help now to determine how much "charging" will be enough to limp the battery along?

A couple hours (hopefully) on a trickle charger once a month?

or

Letting it idle for an hour a month? (Keep in mind I only have 2/3 of a tank of gas).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Why not ask your friend to remove the battery and have it trickle charged in his garage or house?
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      05-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

+1 pull the battery and trickle charge indoors
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      05-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #10
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

This is exactly what I was going to say. Remove battery and leave it with your friend; plugged into an LiFePO4 charger 24/7.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      05-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

What about the fuel?

Wouldn't you need stabilizer?
      05-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

BMW connect will email you if the battery gets low! mine did after the car itself managed to leave the headlights on all night. Then get your friend to plug the trickle charger in (if its been unplugged)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great idea guys to have him pull the battery and leave it trickle charging on a workbench! Gonna try to sort that out. Although now I'm really kicking myself for not just doing that from the start.

Since he's never worked on a BMW before and I've never actually taken out the battery (just disconnected it), is it as simple as undoing a couple of bolts and pulling it out?

Step 1 is to have him replace the IND keyhole cover with the factory one that has the manual key.

Step 2 is having him fold down the backseats flat so that we can get access to the trunk later to reinstall the battery.

Step 3 is pulling out the battery then manually locking the car doors.

Am I missing anything???
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
What about the fuel?

Wouldn't you need stabilizer?
I spoke with my local BMW service department before I left. They said it didn't require any sort of fuel additives. Just 1/2 to 2/3 tank of fresh gas before I left and to top-up with fresh gas when I get home and to drive conservatively for that entire tank.

Then again they also said the battery would be fine the entire time and I was the one to insist on buying a trickle charger from them so.......
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Great idea guys to have him pull the battery and leave it trickle charging on a workbench! Gonna try to sort that out. Although now I'm really kicking myself for not just doing that from the start.

Since he's never worked on a BMW before and I've never actually taken out the battery (just disconnected it), is it as simple as undoing a couple of bolts and pulling it out?

Step 1 is to have him replace the IND keyhole cover with the factory one that has the manual key.

Step 2 is having him fold down the backseats flat so that we can get access to the trunk later to reinstall the battery.

Step 3 is pulling out the battery then manually locking the car doors.

Am I missing anything???
Since you don't have the option of leaving the trunk open, yes, you have the steps listed correctly. One thing I would add is to also leave the emergency handle unhooked from its locked spot in the trunk. It would only be a minor inconvenience to do later while laying on your back, but since that can be avoided, might as well.

As for fuel, my motorcycle just sat for 6 months with a full tank of fresh fuel. Had absolutely no ethanol issues to speak of. You should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

My car sits every winter for 2-3 months without a trickle charger - starts up in mid-March consistently for three years now, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

1. Remove battery and trickle charge on work bench.

2. Have your friend either early morning or late evening drive your car around inside the garage for a bit. I know it’s not ideal but at least it’s not on public roads and during those early morning or late evening times, not much action should be occurring in the garage.

3. He could always take a 5 gallon jug when you do go low in gas.

One more thing, you may want tire cradles to save your car from flat spots. Or your friend can just drive it around. See #2.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
1. Remove battery and trickle charge on work bench.

2. Have your friend either early morning or late evening drive your car around inside the garage for a bit. I know it’s not ideal but at least it’s not on public roads and during those early morning or late evening times, not much action should be occurring in the garage.

3. He could always take a 5 gallon jug when you do go low in gas.

One more thing, you may want tire cradles to save your car from flat spots. Or your friend can just drive it around. See #2.
Thanks for the tip on the tires.

I filled them up to the max listed 60psi before I left, but since someone will be there anyways I can have them drive it back & forth a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:40 AM   #19
VCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2

LiFePo4 self discharge is super low compared to Lead Acid. Most sources quote 5% per month. On that basis it may be possible to charge once and then disconnect but leave the battery in place.
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      05-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

edit.. derp. was same suggestion as previous post. +1 that lol
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the recommendations.

As an update: I had a friend do a recon mission for me today & learned that my condo parkade is dusty AF! Car was spotless and clean before I left. It's breaks my heart to see such a beautiful machine sitting like this. I'm sorry fellow Bimmerposters for such neglect!

Don't worry I plan to make up for it with some track days and auto-cross sessions when I get back though!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

you behave and serve 75% of your sentence so more like 4 months.